• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Rainham Marshes (1 Viewer)

paulwfromtheden

Anyone been there yet? It opened last week I think, so I am planning a foray in the near future?
I like that stretch of the Thames and hope it can rival Elmley and Cliffe, though they are tough acts to follow.
Any first impressions would help.

Went there yesterday and it is pretty good though a bit tricky to find as New Tank Road is a new road and may not be on many maps.
There are three Peregrine Falcons apparently -though we only saw one, (Look on Pylons).Kestrel, Sparrowhawks ,Stonechat,Pintail,Shovelar,Lapwing

There is a RSPB shop and a decent Cafe
Yes a good day out - can recommend

Last edited:
It's going to be a fantastic place, as the whole area from Dagenham to Purfleet is beingrenovated for the benefit of wildlife. Also, on the other side of Purfleet is Coalhouse fort, another fab site.

david

I've been waiting over a year for the reserve to open, as my girlfriend's family live 2 minutes away. I was given an unofficial tour of the site 3 years ago and it looked great then. As for the Peregrines, I often see them hunting in the area around the reserve.

For anyone considering visiting Rainham RSPB, and concerned that they won't find it, see the following map:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&GridE=0.234130692695785&GridN=51.4904513308038&lon=0.234130692695785&lat=51.4904513308038&search_result=&db=grid&lang=&keepicon=true&pc=&advanced=&client=public&addr2=&quicksearch=TQ552792&addr3=&addr1=

The red circle marks the entrance gate. Note that this is not in Rainham itself - it's closer to Purfleet.

If anyone has additional questions about the site, please feel free to send me a PM - I know the place better than most.

Last edited:
Excellent! Drop the wife off at Lakeside, a few hours shopping for her, a few hours birding for me.

If only all reserves were so close to big shopping centres!

dbradnum said:
Hi Jonathan

Think I may have seen you at Rainham on Sunday - looking through the pipits, you pointed out a Kingfisher on the shoreline?

Indeed, that was me! I take it you saw the RT Diver - you must have seen it just after I wandered off!

Was vaguely hoping to pick out a Casp Gull so am slightly annoyed to discover one showed up yesterday. Anyhow, now that it is open I am likely to be down there on a pretty regular basis.

aythya_hybrid said:
Indeed, that was me! I take it you saw the RT Diver - you must have seen it just after I wandered off!

Was vaguely hoping to pick out a Casp Gull so am slightly annoyed to discover one showed up yesterday. Anyhow, now that it is open I am likely to be down there on a pretty regular basis.
Nope - I was irritated to hear about the diver as well! Must've been paying too much attention to the foreshore and not enough to the river.... bloody pipits!

Guess you're probably aware of this already, but check out http://www.elbf.co.uk/ for recent news; you'd be more than welcome at the monthly meetings in Highams Park as well.

Oh, and on the subject of Caspian Gulls - Sunday is by far the least likely day to get one at Rainham, since the adjacent tip isn't working, and gull numbers are far lower.

dbradnum said:
Nope - I was irritated to hear about the diver as well! Must've been paying too much attention to the foreshore and not enough to the river.... bloody pipits!

Guess you're probably aware of this already, but check out http://www.elbf.co.uk/ for recent news; you'd be more than welcome at the monthly meetings in Highams Park as well.

Oh, and on the subject of Caspian Gulls - Sunday is by far the least likely day to get one at Rainham, since the adjacent tip isn't working, and gull numbers are far lower.

I shall try to head up there this week-end, weather permitting!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back