• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern - Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

I just took these horrible bad pictures this morning before dawn along the sea..

I can't really figure out if this is a Common or Arctic Tern.. Both of them rare around this time of the year..

Can anyone with more experience than me from the jizz/bill/colours give an ID on this?

I have attached a lot of pictures, maybe one of them will give a sure ID..

Thanks!

Attachments

• Tern1.jpg
    Tern1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Tern 2.jpg
    Tern 2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 24
  • Tern 3.jpg
    Tern 3.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Tern 4.jpg
    Tern 4.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Tern 5.jpg
    Tern 5.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 25
Some more pictures

Attachments

• Tern 6.jpg
    Tern 6.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Tern 7.jpg
    Tern 7.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 23
  • Tern 8.jpg
    Tern 8.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 17
I have here as well attached 2 pictures of a different bird, passing around an hour later, much closer to the beach.. This looks like a Common Tern based on bill and wing pattern, but the lack of black line along backside of underwing makes me wonder Arctic anyway?

Attachments

• Tern 10.jpg
    Tern 10.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Tern 11.jpg
    Tern 11.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Both Arctic for me and still very young birds too. Note the broad white trailing edge to the secondaries. Interestingly such late 1cy terns at the Baltic Sea more commonly are Arctics...

Hi Roland

Thanks for your help..

Yes, here in this region of Poland the last Common Terns usually leaves around middle of September and later in the fall, it's usually 1K Arctic, even they are rare.. So happy to get even 2 of them in the same morning.. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back