• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crimson Rosella_historical specimens or pet birds (1 Viewer)

MRP_44

Hello,

I am new to the forum and have joined in the hope that I might connect with people who may have historical specimens of Crimson Rosella's within collections or have pet Crimson Rosella's, or, you may know of someone who does (have either).

I am working on a study to investigate this species in the wild and assessing the level of use of feed provided at wild bird feeding sites. This is part of a research project with the School of Veterinary Science, at the University of Sydney.

In order to make a comparison I have collected samples from wild birds making use of feed provided at a site in South East Queensland and Victoria. The results will be compared with those for unfed wild birds, represented by historical samples (pre 1960), which I am obtaining through Australian Museum collections. However, few are available. I am hopeful of obtaining more for the specific study areas, namely Lamington National Park/Gondwana Rainforests and Dandenong Ranges National Park. But nearby locations of similar plant community types, and Blue Mountains / Atherton Tablelands are also suitable.

I am also looking to obtain samples from the same species that are pet or breeding birds - representing fed birds.

The aim of the study is to improve our understanding of how wild birds make use of feed that is being provided, with onward analysis of the wild birds' health and behaviour.

I need feathers - 1 thigh/body feather (for the pet birds-obtained at time of moult). No personally identifying information will be reported. The outcomes of the results would be provided at the time of publication.

Please send me a private message if you may be able to help or if you know anyone I can connect with to make further enquiries. I will be able to provide more information and all the requirements to assist this research. There will be no cost involved.

Thank you kindly,

Michelle Plant

I'm not sure if I can help, but I've been living in Mirboo North, South Gippsland, Victoria now since 2011 and we have many Crimson Rosellas, amongst many other species, in our backyard. We've been providing them with wildbird seed in limited quantity and they appear to be thriving now in our area.

I'm not sure if I can help, but I've been living in Mirboo North, South Gippsland, Victoria now since 2011 and we have many Crimson Rosellas, amongst many other species, in our backyard. We've been providing them with wildbird seed in limited quantity and they appear to be thriving now in our area.

Thank you very much for your reply, it is greatly appreciated. At this stage, I am looking for specimens pre 1960 (which may be held in private collections) or caged pet birds samples.

Kind regards
Michelle

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back