• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon FSB-7 for S5100 (1 Viewer)

I would also like to know more about adapter (FSB-7) and the Nikon Coolpix S5100 as a possible combo for my newly purchased Nikon 82mm ED scope.. I can't find the adapter and I don't know much about the camera working well for digiscoping.. It does seem like a cost effective way to start digiscoping..

I contacted Nikon about the FSB-7 adapter for there S5100 CoolPix and their response was, "the FSB-7 is not a current product, it was replaced with the FSB-U1"

I would assume if anyone is looking for a Nikon adapter for a current CoolPix Camera your stuck with the FSB-U1 like it or not... I personally would have preferred a dedicated camera adapter but the upside is the FSB-U1 should fit most Nikon CoolPix cameras as well as some point and shoot cameras from other manufactures..

I contacted Nikon about the FSB-7 adapter for there S5100 CoolPix and their response was, "the FSB-7 is not a current product, it was replaced with the FSB-U1"

I would assume if anyone is looking for a Nikon adapter for a current CoolPix Camera your stuck with the FSB-U1 like it or not... I personally would have preferred a dedicated camera adapter but the upside is the FSB-U1 should fit most Nikon CoolPix cameras as well as some point and shoot cameras from other manufactures..

That's strange because in my friend's shop, I checked the FSB-7 for the S5100 Coolpix. This is the diagram http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/dsystem/index.htm

Shouldn't be discontinued ;)

Yes, your right, I decided to contact Nikon again about that and I'm waiting for a response.
When I hear something I will post it.

Nikon has not offered any other explanation since I last contacted them.. I find that odd because you can still purchase some of the older adapters but not the FSB-7 adapter..

Hi

New here, but picked up your FSB - 7 thread on a search and just thought it might help others. As a newbie, I bought a Nikon spotting scope from RSPB and was given to believe that I could add the adapter and camera at a later date. Was frustrated to find that is not the case. It has to be a purchased as the complete Nikon Digiscoping kit - no separate add ons. Have talked to Viking Opticals, who supply the RSPB package and they confirm that the bracket is only available as a separate item in Japan. The Coolpix S5100 is available.
A bit of digging around showed that there is a supplier who is importing the FSB - 7 bracket into the UK. I have just ordered one for £119 + £10 p & p via www.ecrater.co.uk. Will let you know if it turns out to be a scam, or, if my faith in human nature is justified and I am the proud owner of said bracket

Hi Nicktarren, welcome to the forum.. I just contacted Nikon again, (probably making a pain out of myself) letting them know that there options for digiscoping where very limited at best..

I wanted to get started digiscoping sometime in the near future so I went ahead and recently purchased a Nikon FSB-6 adapter new on ebay which is on it's way to me and a used Nikon Coolpix P5000 also on ebay, I'm waiting to here for shipment info on the P5000.. I'm finding this latest hobby to be both expensive and frustrating so far..

I hope you get the camera and adapter to you're liking, for me it's been mostly up hill to get to the point I'm at right now.. I hope after I have all my equipment it was worth the trouble. I still need to order a 30X eyepiece for the Nikon 82ED Scope.. Let us know how things work out for you...

Hi Nicktarren, welcome to the forum.. I just contacted Nikon again, (probably making a pain out of myself) letting them know that there options for digiscoping where very limited at best..

I wanted to get started digiscoping sometime in the near future so I went ahead and recently purchased a Nikon FSB-6 adapter new on ebay which is on it's way to me and a used Nikon Coolpix P5000 also on ebay, I'm waiting to here for shipment info on the P5000.. I'm finding this latest hobby to be both expensive and frustrating so far..

I hope you get the camera and adapter to you're liking, for me it's been mostly up hill to get to the point I'm at right now.. I hope after I have all my equipment it was worth the trouble. I still need to order a 30X eyepiece for the Nikon 82ED Scope.. Let us know how things work out for you...
Finally got there, but what a pain! FSB 7 bracket arrived from Japan, as promised. Picked up a Coolpix S5100 online - a neat little camera - and it fitted the bracket. Now for the eyepiece … Ordered it online and was eventually told that it wasn't in stock. Refund and the information that Nikon was not able to supply the eyepiece in the forseeable future. £200 spent and nothing works, this is sounding familiar. Lots of phone calls later and after four weeks of trying, found the eyepiece on eBay. Bought it, arrived next day, and all fits together. At last.
Is this typical of Nikon? Never used them before but my buying experience with them and their supply chain was dismal. Dare not even think of upgrading in the future.

Finally got there, but what a pain! FSB 7 bracket arrived from Japan, as promised. Picked up a Coolpix S5100 online - a neat little camera - and it fitted the bracket. Now for the eyepiece … Ordered it online and was eventually told that it wasn't in stock. Refund and the information that Nikon was not able to supply the eyepiece in the forseeable future. £200 spent and nothing works, this is sounding familiar. Lots of phone calls later and after four weeks of trying, found the eyepiece on eBay. Bought it, arrived next day, and all fits together. At last.
Is this typical of Nikon? Never used them before but my buying experience with them and their supply chain was dismal. Dare not even think of upgrading in the future.

How familiar this sounds, I also tried to purchase the 30X eyepiece from a huge online retailer and after a couple of weeks, canceled it due to no shipment from Nikon.... I purchased it on ebay just like you.. While I do like the Nikon 82ED Scope I don't think I would give Nikon a second look if I decide to stick with digiscoping long term, it wasn't worth the trouble in my opinion. I don't believe Nikon has enough worthwhile digiscoping options like other manufactures at this point in time.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back