• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plans for new Whitburn Coastal Consevation Centre (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

There are plans for the National Trust to build a new Coastal Conservation Centre close to Souter Lighthouse by Whitburn Country Park. I just found the article by accident and knew nothing about this. I had heard nothing from the National Trust locally about this as I’m a National Trust member. There was a public consultation at the National Trusts Souter Lighthouse early on in July, but heard nothing about this. As well as owning Souter Lighthouse the National Trust own quite a large part of the coastline in Tyne and Wear in that area upto Souter Lighthouse and the National Trust have a lease on Whitburn Country Park. The planning application goes in towards the end of 2019. There are a number of articles I’ve found today and there is a planned downloadable document about this. Not sure how to put the links in. Hopefully someone else will be able to help and put in the links. I’ve got mixed views on this and I’m very undecided about weather this should go ahead. It’s difficult to make my mind up.
Ian.

Plans are here, accompanied by the usual architectural 'pseuds corner' b******s:
https://nt.global.ssl.fastly.net/so...ntre-public-consultation-information-2019.pdf

National Trust explanation is here:
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/so...-for-new-whitburn-coastal-conservation-centre

Shields Gazette article is here:
https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/new-building-plan-at-landmark-lighthouse-site-374340

Ian, as you say the planning application is to be submitted later this year - you will have the opportunity to make your views heard to South Tyneside Council, as they will have to go through a formal consultation process then.

I have to say, to be fair this doesn't look a terrible scheme - although I'm no fan of the National Trust in the NE (the abomination that is Gibside being one reason, the overall fetishism attached to old stuff owned by the landed gentry being another), this appears to be a relatively small scale building which is going to fit into its surroundings OK.

What I'm less clear about is where this fits into the visitor strategy for protected sites on the NE coast. At present anyone building new houses in the area has to contribute to coastal management schemes, to offset the effect of increased recreational pressure on Durham Coast SAC and Northumbria Coast SPA. If this is part of that process, and NT wardens are going to explain to visitors that it's not a good idea to let Fido chase the waders on the rocks, then its a positive thing. If its an unrelated and woolly-minded attempt to encourage more coastal recreation, then not so good.

Plans are here, accompanied by the usual architectural 'pseuds corner' b******s:
https://nt.global.ssl.fastly.net/so...ntre-public-consultation-information-2019.pdf

National Trust explanation is here:
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/so...-for-new-whitburn-coastal-conservation-centre

Shields Gazette article is here:
https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/new-building-plan-at-landmark-lighthouse-site-374340

Ian, as you say the planning application is to be submitted later this year - you will have the opportunity to make your views heard to South Tyneside Council, as they will have to go through a formal consultation process then.

I have to say, to be fair this doesn't look a terrible scheme - although I'm no fan of the National Trust in the NE (the abomination that is Gibside being one reason, the overall fetishism attached to old stuff owned by the landed gentry being another), this appears to be a relatively small scale building which is going to fit into its surroundings OK.

What I'm less clear about is where this fits into the visitor strategy for protected sites on the NE coast. At present anyone building new houses in the area has to contribute to coastal management schemes, to offset the effect of increased recreational pressure on Durham Coast SAC and Northumbria Coast SPA. If this is part of that process, and NT wardens are going to explain to visitors that it's not a good idea to let Fido chase the waders on the rocks, then its a positive thing. If its an unrelated and woolly-minded attempt to encourage more coastal recreation, then not so good.
I’ve visited the Gibside Estate for the first since the very early 1990’s despite living not far from that National Trust Property in another part of Gateshead and been a member of the National Trust since the early 1970’s and what I saw of the Gibside Estate and changes really shocked me what’s happened there with the changes after such a long period of time since I last visited Gibside.But I won’t say any more about that as it might derail this thread.
Ian.

I’ve visited the Gibside Estate for the first since the very early 1990’s despite living not far from that National Trust Property in another part of Gateshead and been a member of the National Trust since the early 1970’s and what I saw of the Gibside Estate and changes really shocked me what’s happened there with the changes after such a long period of time since I last visited Gibside.But I won’t say any more about that as it might derail this thread.
Ian.

Then why mention it at all? Fess up, you'll feel better.

And stop apostrophising plurals ("1970's")!!!

John

Why do you always criticise and also my spelling. What does it matter?
Ian.

Ian.

Every one of your threads is based on criticism of one or other organisation involved in conservation. Sometimes I agree with your points, sometimes not. However, given your normal posture in thread opening I don't think you are in any position to complain about criticism... in addition there is this thing called constructive criticism which gives you the opportunity of a learning experience. You will learn more from someone who disagrees with you than you ever will from someone who agrees with everything you say.

Now, onto the question of spelling and why it matters, because lets face it, its a wide and increasing problem in modern society and a lot of people will say "why does it matter?" Well, it matters because different words have different meanings, and if you use the wrong one you make your meaning at best obscure to others and at worst destroy it altogether. You also give others a particular view of your level of education and possibly intellect, whether or not the errors are due to carelessness or hurry rather than ignorance of proper usage.

In which connection, now that I've used the word "whether" in its correct context, I pretty much have to point out that when you (presumably) intended to do likewise in your original post, you actually wrote "weather" which has to do with rain, sun, wind and snow.

You also wrote: " I had heard nothing from the National Trust locally about this as I’m a National Trust member." (My emboldening.) What you have written there is that the National Trust didn't inform you because you are a member, whereas what I think you meant (do please correct me if I'm wrong) was "they didn't tell me despite the fact I am a member": i.e. the exact opposite of what you wrote.

Words are important. The English language deserves your love, respect and care: it is a rapier, not a sledgehammer. Wielding it as it is intended to be wielded, with precisely chosen words spelt correctly in the right place, will make your writing a million per cent more effective. :t:

Checking your work carefully before you post it will help. Never draft and post in haste. At work I usually get someone else to read my stuff through because it gets very difficult to spot your own mistakes.

Also, if I'm really, absolutely honest, sometimes I poke the antheap because I know I will always get a reaction. I can't help it. Jester is my role. 3:)

All the best,

John

However, given your normal posture in thread opening I don't think you are in any position to complain about criticism.

The English language deserves your love, respect and care. Wielding it as it is intended to be wielded, with precisely chosen words spelt correctly in the right place, will make your writing a million per cent more effective.

With the language deserving love and all that, shouldn't there be a comma after 'opening'? :-O

First law of criticising anybody's grammar: Thou shalt always maketh a mistake thyself. ;)

Yeah, innit! ;)

With reference to Jos's comment, I prefer to err by under- rather than over-comma-ing. I think the example chosen is at least arguable - but as I lack even basic training in grammar (which I regret and found a major disadvantage in trying to learn foreign languages at school), most of my use of language comes from selecting models to follow in a lifetime of wide reading. Sorry! B :)

John

Back on subject... as a birder at Whitburn CP, I can't see a lot wrong with this development. But its much more from a public interpretation/local environment angle rather than having a benefit for birds/wildlife (or birders). There are routes shown in the links to feedback about the proposals if you're not keen for whatever reason.

It could be a good source of info for the public in the future about the marine wildlife at Whitburn (we cover nearly every day of the year watching for birds and marine mammals so have a huge amount of info) - we'll see if they are interested in any collaboration on that.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back