• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help!!! Swarovski UCA camera adapter or DCB bracket ??????? (1 Viewer)

Ditto...I have not owned both but do have the DCB. It is very easy to swing away allowing you the opportunity to use the scope, then swing the DCB in place to take your shot. You can get pretty fast at this. Now what I do though is swing the DCB back down and refocus real quick manually. Cost wise I believe the DCB is a lot less too...

I have not used either, but I was speaking to someone on the Swarovski stall at the Birdfair yesterday, and he was pushing the UCA much more than the DCB - saying the DCB was harder to set up and more difficult to get the camera off if it starts raining. Also he said the UCA was cheaper, which seems to be borne out by a quick look on the web. Their brochure also focuses more on the UCA.

If you want to look through the telescope you just loosen the tightening nut and slip the adapter and camera off - seemed to be a quick operation.

(I have previously used the old DCA - basically a metal cylinder that screws on the front of your camera - but it doesn't work for my current camera.)

Hello, can anyone reccomend which is the best the swarovski UCA or the DCB camera adapter ?????

thank you.

Hi Skydancer,

If there were a simple answer, then we would not offer both. Both have their times when they are the "best" choice.

I personally really like the DCB. If I am going out birding and think I may want to take a couple of photos, then I just flip down the DCB with the compact camera and take a quick couple of photos. Very easy, and the camera is always ready and there. If it rains, you can always flip the little lever and simply slide the camera off and put it in your bag (I have done this tons of times).

I use the UCA for its universality and stability, regardless of what digiscoping camera I want to use (compact, DSLR, EVIL, camcorder).

Both have their merits.

Happy birding,
Dale

Dale

Perhaps you can answer a couple of quick queries. I have the same choice at the moment. I use a Nikon P6000 with the DCA on an ATS but the adaptor does not get the best out of the camera.

I would not want an adaptor permanently attached to the scope, so want the one which is easier to quickly put on and take off and is lighter as I don't want to have to also buy a balance rail. I am currently drawn to the UCA as it is cheaper and I don't think the DCB will work with my stay-on case.

What would be your advice?

Dale

Perhaps you can answer a couple of quick queries. I have the same choice at the moment. I use a Nikon P6000 with the DCA on an ATS but the adaptor does not get the best out of the camera.

I would not want an adaptor permanently attached to the scope, so want the one which is easier to quickly put on and take off and is lighter as I don't want to have to also buy a balance rail. I am currently drawn to the UCA as it is cheaper and I don't think the DCB will work with my stay-on case.

What would be your advice?

Dear Stonedcurlew,

The P6000 has a fantastic lens and can take some of the best photos (the best?) of any compact camera available at the moment. Digiscoping guru Neil Fifer uses this camera on the DCA and does not seem to have a problem with it so I am not sure where the "not get the best out" comes from.

The DCA, filter cone and the P6000 are all made of lightweight metal so it is an extremely sturdy, small and light setup. And, as many have shown, can produce excellent results. I am a lousy salesman (which is why I do not work there ;) ), but I would rather suggest you keep the DCA and use the money and time to go on a great day trip...

Don't get me wrong, the UCA and DCB both have their place and I personally use the other two more than the DCA, but in your case, the DCA is a great solution and will not cost you a penny more.

Happy digiscoping,
Dale

I have recently aquired the UCA. I used the DCA for a long time but cameras compatible with that are getting scarcer and scarcer, so I decided to try the UCA. The DCB looks like too much kit to me so I have not tried it.

UCA Good Points: Once attached to your eyepiece you have the flexibility to put your camera anywhere so you get the most out of it. The adapater is somewhat bulky, but once attached to the scope is very solid.

UCA Bad Points: 1) One reason I loved the DCA was you never had to worry about the camera twisting out of perpendicular to the scope. The UCA, like most universal adapters I have tried, has this problem. There is nothing to keep the camera from twisiting on its tripod adapter screw. You have to check this everytime you mount the UCA. It needs a bar or something to keep the camera perpendicular. 2) The other reason I loved the DCA was that it was so easy to slip on and off. On my 25-50X eyepiece the fully loosened adapter is still a fairly tight fit and takes some jiggling to get on especially past the rubber zoom control. I wish it was a few millimeters wider so it would slip on more easily. 3) Finally the DCA was not very bulky, this is, so it is harder to carry around.

If you get a compatible camera the DCA is the way to go, but they are harder and harder to find. The UCA is OK and does allow you to position the camera perfectly (not always possible with the DCA). If you are primarily a digiscoper, the UCA is probably a good choice. If you are primarily birding and want something to slip on quickly for a photo, the UCA is OK but not as good as the DCA in this regard.

Hi Dale

I forgot to say that I use a 20-60 zoom on the Swarovski.

Neil actually pointed out that the DCA does not work as well with this set up in a different thread http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=163495 and recommends using the UCA with this set up.

So I am considering the UCA or DCB at the moment.

SC

Last edited:
I have recently aquired the UCA. I used the DCA for a long time but cameras compatible with that are getting scarcer and scarcer, so I decided to try the UCA. The DCB looks like too much kit to me so I have not tried it.

UCA Good Points: Once attached to your eyepiece you have the flexibility to put your camera anywhere so you get the most out of it. The adapater is somewhat bulky, but once attached to the scope is very solid.

UCA Bad Points: 1) One reason I loved the DCA was you never had to worry about the camera twisting out of perpendicular to the scope. The UCA, like most universal adapters I have tried, has this problem. There is nothing to keep the camera from twisiting on its tripod adapter screw. You have to check this everytime you mount the UCA. It needs a bar or something to keep the camera perpendicular. 2) The other reason I loved the DCA was that it was so easy to slip on and off. On my 25-50X eyepiece the fully loosened adapter is still a fairly tight fit and takes some jiggling to get on especially past the rubber zoom control. I wish it was a few millimeters wider so it would slip on more easily. 3) Finally the DCA was not very bulky, this is, so it is harder to carry around.

If you get a compatible camera the DCA is the way to go, but they are harder and harder to find. The UCA is OK and does allow you to position the camera perfectly (not always possible with the DCA). If you are primarily a digiscoper, the UCA is probably a good choice. If you are primarily birding and want something to slip on quickly for a photo, the UCA is OK but not as good as the DCA in this regard.

A quick note on the UCA and the rubber eye piece on my 20-60x. I split my rubber eyepiece fiddling the UCA on and off but the nice Swarovski people sent me a new one. So I cut the rubber off the old one completely and use that for digiscoping and the new one for telescoping. The only way that the camera and UCA slide on and off easily is by removing the rubber.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back