• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best rig for the new 20-75mm Zeiss eyepiece. (1 Viewer)

John Weigel

Hi folks.

Have read through LOTS of past posts, but cannot find what I'm looking for, so please pardon the intrusion.

Can anyone give me a suggested 'best camera and adapter' combination for my beautiful Zeiss Diascope 85 with the relatively new 20-75X eyepiece. The diameter of the eyepiece appears to be approx 61mm - give or take as much as 1mm. I don't like the 'swing into position' Zeiss platform option, and don't want to make up an adapter from plumbing fittings. Don't mind spending a bit for an easy to use, high quality photo-producing setup. Hope you can help. Looks like several cameras, including Coolpix S6000 could be good choices - but how to connect to the big diameter Zeiss eyepiece?

I promise to post results if someone can steer me onto a good option!

John Weigel
Australia

John,

One solution is an SRB-Griturn digiscoping adapter, and P&S camera with a 3x optical zoom (3x eliminates vignetting). I use these with a Zeiss 85 or 65 with good results.

However, it's hard to digiscope an active bird, and for these IMO there is the Fuji HS20. I won't be lugging around a DSLR, but it's probably what's needed for serious photography.

We still use a five year old Fuji F30, but if we were going to replace it, I'd be inclined to look at the Fuji AV280 or similar.

Mike

Last edited:
Thankyou Mike.

Unfortunately, that SRB-Griturn digiscoping adapter doesn't have a version wide enough to take my 60mm wide Zeiss eyepiece. Otherwise it looks great!

That Fuji AV280 point and shoot looks good, but I can't find any reviews via Google, that seem to be more readily available for the Nikons and Canons. How does it compare to the Coolpix S6000 or the Canon equivalent?

Main thing I think that I'm stuck on is finding an adapter sleeve with the girth to attach to the 60-61mm wide Zeiss 20 - 75mm eyepiece. Does anyone know of another eyepiece with similar width? that would help get me across the line.

Regards,
John

John,

The SRB-Griturn adapter I use is their digiscoping alignment collar, custom-made to the specific measurements of the eyepiece and camera you're using.

One of our sons uses a Canon S90, and loves it; however, I have no experience with the newer Canon S95 for digiscoping.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back