• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guide recommendation (1 Viewer)

cheshirebirder

Four of us recently returned from a very successful 2 week tour of the east and west slopes of the Andes with local guide Renato Espinosa.Renato is a knowledgable and capable guide and good company. We saw over 450 species including condors,cock-of-the rock,umbrella bird,oilbird,torrent duck ,8 antpittas etc. Because Renato uses reserves/locations and accommodations run by local people , he is able to keep costs down and benefit Ecuadorians at the same time, which in turn encourages conservation. A number of the well-known ,but foreign owned, lodges were visited some days but without the cost of staying there. We paid approx. $2150 each (about £1500) which included everything apart from evening drinks plus our flights.We all had separate rooms throughout , mainly en-suite . This compares very well with the prices quoted by tour companies and ,of course, it's much better birding in a smaller group, escecially on trails. Renato can be contacted via his website at Pululahua Hostal at which we stayed some nights.( [email protected])

Last edited:
Yes, Pululahua is a good place to stay. The rooms we had were very comfortable and the staff really helpful. The location is important for the rusty breasted antpitta too , which can only be seen here and one other place.

Now you started this, I looked up Rusty-breasted Antpitta sightings, and it truly has a strange distribution in Ecuador, occurring only near Pululahua and in Loja... Intriguing!

Hi Steve. I meant flights from the UK to Quito. We had no need of flights within Ecuador. Driving times from site to site aren't long and we made frequent birding stops en-route. One of the attractions of the tour was the fact that there weren't any wasted days where you spend all day sat in a travelling vehicle. I think some tours do fly Quito to Coca to visit Amazonian lodges. We had 3 days around Tena where we picked up some of those species like hoatzin , jacamars etc. without the need and expense of flying ( or the need to take anti-malarials ).

Last edited:
Glad you had a good trip. I have hired Renato for day trips and we have stayed at Pululahua Hostel as well - I definitely second your recommendation of him! Last I talked to him (a few years ago now) I believe was even working up a land-based Galapagos itinerary that keeps the tourism dollars in local hands.

Last I talked to him (a few years ago now) I believe was even working up a land-based Galapagos itinerary that keeps the tourism dollars in local hands.

The problem with that is the total tourism load on the islands. The boat tourism is well controlled with regards to how many people come and where. The land based tourism is much less well controlled, and it is the reason that the population that actually currently lives on the islands have increased strongly. That is not sustainable in the long run.

Niels

No problem. First night in Quito after late afternoon arrival. Then 2 nights at Pululahua hostal. Then 1 night at Paz de las aves reserve, 3 night Yellow House, Mindo. Back to Pululahua for 1 night. Over to the east next for 2 nights at a finca near Baeza ( can't remember the name ) , then 3 nights in Puerto Misahualli.Back for 1 night near Baeza and finally back to Pululahua - but could have gone to the airport at this point and home.
Regards, Bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back