• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Z6 eye detect (1 Viewer)

Nikon's Eye Detect AF is really designed for people, and it pairs with Face Detect. You need to completely give up focus and subject selection to use it - it only works with Area AF mode.

For Bird photography I just don't have any need for the Eye AF function. I do have the Z6 and had no problem tracking birds in flight with the firmware update. AF performance for flying subject is excellent - at least as good as my D850. The new firmware brought the camera up to the level of the top of the line Nikon cameras - and maybe better.

Attachments

• Ocean City_5-22-2019_304419.jpg
    Ocean City_5-22-2019_304419.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 26
  • Cape May_5-21-2019_303476.jpg
    Cape May_5-21-2019_303476.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Cape May_5-21-2019_304215.jpg
    Cape May_5-21-2019_304215.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 28
Can I ask Eric what settings you use for the BIF? I have the D500 which has recently played up ( the back screen has stopped working) so I am seriously thinking of the Z6 as a replacement, (I can still use the D500 just cant change certain settings or view pics,histogram etc). My main concearn is my lens is a sigma 300mm 2.8 and having trouble finding out if it is compatible with the z6 and adaptor.

With the Z6 I generally start with Wide Small for shorebirds and unobstructed subjects. Wide places a priority on nearest subject focus and works pretty well. If subjects are hard to track, I'll switch to Wide Large.

In a cluttered environment I use Dynamic AF. Wide modes are too likely to pick up nearer sticks and brush. Dynamic tracks remarkably well through branches, on the ground, and with other partial obstructions. This works better for songbirds and smaller subjects in a grassy or marshy environment.

Of course, Single is the last resort for wildlife and fast moving subjects. If works okay for subjects that are perched.

I program my Fn1 button to zoom to 50% - and sometimes 100%. My Fn2 button is programmed for AF modes - both AF Area and AF Servo modes can be selected.

Attachments

• Phinizy Swamp_8-4-2019_307479-2.jpg
    Phinizy Swamp_8-4-2019_307479-2.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back