• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater or Lesser Sandpipers? Singapore (1 Viewer)

Avian Seeker

Greater or Lesser Sand Plovers? Singapore

I find it hard to differentiate between Greater and Lesser Sand Plovers*.

Images are all different birds.

Thanks in advance.

*Sorry, just realise that I have erroneously typed in Sandpipers instead of Sand Plovers.

Attachments

• Sand Plover Img_1.jpg
    Sand Plover Img_1.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Sand Plover Img_2.jpg
    Sand Plover Img_2.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Sand Plover Img_3.jpg
    Sand Plover Img_3.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Sand Plover Img_4.jpg
    Sand Plover Img_4.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Sand Plover Img_5.jpg
    Sand Plover Img_5.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
These threads are always interesting for me as I find this group very difficult. I only have limited experience of Greater, and I've never seen Lesser in any guise.

That aside, I would have called all these Lesser based on (relatively) small bill size and the fact that generally they look fairly slight

Lesser for me, with the darker legs and the beak looks too slight for greater. Joints on legs look a green shade. Also, not much white around the face near the lores and base of bill. However, may have got this completely the wrong way round!
Lovely photos,
regards,
Jono

I'll leave confirmation of your photos to those with expertise and experience, but in Singapore, wouldn't Mongolian Plover (sspp stegmanni, mongolus) be a candidate as well as Lesser (mostly schaeferi?) and Greater?
MJB

Last edited:
Attached another 2 images showing the same individual as in Image 4 in the original post.

Would appreciate any other input and opinion. Hopefully can have a conclusive id.

Attachments

• Sand Plover Img_4A.jpg
    Sand Plover Img_4A.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Sand Plover Img_4B.jpg
    Sand Plover Img_4B.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 57
Too close to call for these?

Would really appreciate any input.

All are Lesser. YOur last photo shows the distinctive structure of the bill, with the bulge on the culmen occurring on the final third only, rather than the final half of the bill on Greater. Greater has a much more tapered, sharper bill tip. The mongolus group does not occur commonly in Singapore and Malaysia (in fact, I've never seen one here), these are the western breeding atrifrons group. Ringing measurements show that the race which occurs most commonly is schaeferi, the longest-billed of all Lesser races.

All are Lesser. YOur last photo shows the distinctive structure of the bill, with the bulge on the culmen occurring on the final third only, rather than the final half of the bill on Greater. Greater has a much more tapered, sharper bill tip. The mongolus group does not occur commonly in Singapore and Malaysia (in fact, I've never seen one here), these are the western breeding atrifrons group. Ringing measurements show that the race which occurs most commonly is schaeferi, the longest-billed of all Lesser races.

Dave,
Thanks for the info on the mongolus group.
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back