• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird watching dalyan Turkey (1 Viewer)

Very useful.

When I visited Dalyan I had only very basic information and this would have been very valuable - I look forward to accessing it when I next visit.

Yellow Legged Gull, Kentish Plover,Corn Bunting,Sandwich Tern, Little Egrets

Above birds all added to web site . See bird section ,second group. John Codling section

Last edited:
Five new pages and new photos

New additions added to include photos from Ilker Erkan (Water Rail, Scoops Owl, Curlew Sandpiper and Stone Curlew ) see Birds two on site. Also there are five new pages featuring photos, information and video clips for the following birds, European Roller, Great Reed Warbler, Krüper's Nuthatch. White breasted Kingfisher and Penduline Tit. Hope people find them enjoyable and useful.

Hi,

Very useful web-site - thanks for putting it together for us Turkey lovers!

Talking of which..... I am heading out to Dalyan on Friday and wondered if you had any info on a species that has previously proved a bit elusive.... I refer to Rupell's Warbler, which would be a lifer for me, so any tips on locations etc would be gratefully received...

All the best... Ray

PS - I have posted a trip report or two from Dalyan in previous years... probably not much info that you don't already have, but may be worth a quick scan if you haven't seen them already.

Caunos used to be reliable, last time I went, c4 years ago we had one on the hillside to the right just beyond the entrance to the main Caunos site.

Hello Ruby,

I was in dalyan last week, I belive people were looking for Rupell's Warbler on the track that leads from where the roller nests are.See Birds Roller on dalyanbirding site . Follow those direction and keep following the track that skirts the hill. it's about an hours walk, as you near the end of it the warbler I believe was in scrub at the base of a hill, though did not see it myself. Peregrine and kesteal also seen in the area!! Its the reverse of walk one in Alan Fenns book if you can get a copy from the Leylet resturant
Brendan
ps point me in the direction of your trip report if you would

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for that - I haven't actually been along any of the tracks in the area of Ley-ley, so will be giving them a bit of a go this year.....

Here's the link to my trip report from Spring 2008....

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=115569&highlight=dalyan

We've been back a couple of times since and I have explored quite a few of the little tracks in the immediate area - normal form is to get up at dawn and spend a few hours out-and-about before heading back to town for breakfast around 09:00. In this way, have bumped into many of the local species that are mentioned in local info, but Ruppell's Warbler remains stubbornly absent! Have had a fair bit of luck with White-throated Kingfisher though - have been very fortunate and have so far seen them on every trip.

All the best.... Ray

Hello Ruby,
Just wondering if you had any photos you would be willing to share for the site (old one are ok ), i.e. photos taken in the area of the photo map on the site. They don’t have to be crisp and sharp just so others can get a flavour of what’s out there; if you do then jpegs are best. There are Penduline tits nesting near the Golbashi restaurant this year the one with the ‘pedello’ hope you have a good trip to Dalyan
Brendan

Hello Ruby,
Just wondering if you had any photos you would be willing to share for the site
Brendan

No probs Brendan..... Would you like me to e-mail them you directly, or add them on this thread?

I also have a bit of an update of the current situation - again, shall I just add to this?

Rgds... Ray

Hi Ruby,

It would be best to email them direct if you would.
[email protected]

jpegs are best, any chance of saying roughly where they were taken, beach, lake, fields etc. happen post them here as well. I will put them on the 'birds2; tab under Ilker Erkans photos.

Many thanks. This exactly how i envisage the website working.

Brendan
ps yes lets have the update

Last edited:
Hi All,

I did a few little walks out :-

The walk opposite the school (nr Ley Ley) was good.... there were Rollers around at the alloted spot, but also Kestrels nesting which was creating a certain amount of tension! I didn't want to hang around and add to the problems, so didn't get any indication of a potential nest-site, but it seems likely. There were also Rock Nuthatches in the same area.

Walking on further down the same track, I saw a family party of Kruper's Nuthatches (anyone ever noticed that this species and Long-tailed Tits often hang out together) and also my #1 target for the week - Ruppell's Warbler. This was a not very good sighting of a quite dowdy individual, but it was good in as much as it did enable me to learn the song - which proved handy the following day!

The following day, I did the walk starting from directly opposite Ley Ley, seeing both Woodchat and Masked Shrikes early doors after taking the left track at the 1st junction (there was also a Nightingale's nest at this junction) I then made my was slowy along the track for maybe a mile, reaching a new-ish seating area in a dry river gulley. This is quite a junction point for a number of tracks, and I explored them all for a couple of hundred metres each.

This area was productive, with at least 3 singing Ruppell's Warbler plus more Kruper's Nuthatch - very good!

Other general observations around Dalyan....

Most reliable spot for Rollers seems to be the area near the river around by where the municipal tip is (lake-side of town).... I was never able to actually pin-point where they were nesting - presumably on the cliff-face somewhere - but did see them every day. A very irritating species to try to photograph, as they are extremely intolerant of human presence and normally push off when you are still 150m away!

The area around the dog pound and sewage works is very good for insects, and therefore no great surprise that it should also be good for Shrikes, with both Woodchat and Masked Shrikes being common. I located a nest of Masked Shrikes and they obvious got used to my presence, with the adult birds coming and feeding around me as if I wasn't there - one magical moment when the female hovered within touching distance in front of me before diving down to catch a grasshopper. Quite a sight to see 6 very well grown youngsters all squeezed into a ludicrously small nest - they fledged successfully while I was there.

There was aShort-toed Eagle seen on a number of times patrolling the Kaunos side of the river.

On previous visits, there have been Scops Owls in and around town.... didn't hear any this time until the last night when I heard one calling - appeared to be from the area around the Jandarma.

A few slightly unusual sightings.... 4 Flamingoes and a Mute Swan(!) on the lagoon by Iztuzu beach and a LSW on one of the tracks at the northern side of town...

All-in-all, a great trip... I didn't bother doing a species list, but got most of the usual suspects and Ruppell's Warbler was a lifer!

I haven't sorted my pics out from this time yet - but will add some from previous visits in a minute.

Oh - nearly forgot.... Didn't go out hunting for White-throated Kingfisher, but did visit the area to the W of Koycegiz and also the bridge over the Namnam when passing, and didn't see or hear anything this time.... first time I've failed to see this species.

All the best.... Ray

Here's some pics... mainly from Spring 2008....

Attachments

• Black-headed Bunting(bf).jpg
    Black-headed Bunting(bf).jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 194
  • Finsch's Wheatear (bf).jpg
    Finsch's Wheatear (bf).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Great Reed Warbler.jpg
    Great Reed Warbler.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 215
  • Hooded Crow (bf).jpg
    Hooded Crow (bf).jpg