• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ladybird thread (2 Viewers)

I found some ladybirds in my garden today (mostly on privet I think). I think they are harlequin, orange and ? seven-spot but if any of you experts could confirm or correct, I'd be grateful.
Ken

I think your listing was back to front as they appear on our messages ... I would say (as I see them!) cream-spot ladybird (Calvia quattuordecimpunctata), pine ladybird (Exochomus quadripustulatus) and, yes, 'harlequin' ladybird (Harmonia axyridis).

I wouldn't like to be too dogmatic about the first one although I only see fourteen patches (Halyzia sedecimguttata has sixteen spots, rarely ten or twelve ...).... but it's possible to imagine some yellow on the forebody (pronotum) which is typical of the orange ladybird. Do you have an alternative view of the pronotum?

Last edited:
I think your listing was back to front as they appear on our messages ... I would say (as I see them!) cream-spot ladybird (Calvia quattuordecimpunctata, pine ladybird (Exochomus quadripustulatus and, yes, 'harlequin' ladybird (Harmonia axyridis.

I wouldn't like to be too dogmatic about the first one although I only see fourteen patches (Halyzia sedecimguttata has sixteen spots, rarely ten or twelve ...).... but it's possible to imagine some yellow on the forebody (pronotum) which is typical of the orange ladybird. Do you have an alternative view of the pronotum?

thanks, Paul, I'm really not into ladybirds but I like to know what things are.
I think this the same one...

Attachments

• DSCN0752 (2).JPG
    DSCN0752 (2).JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 120
thanks, Paul, I'm really not into ladybirds but I like to know what things are.
I think this the same one...

Quite right too! This is the cream-spot ladybird, Calvia quattuordecimpunctata - fourteen spots and no yellow on the forebody. A nice little arboreal species ...

That should be quattuordecimguttata not ... punctata - sorry .... had a hard weekend ....

Last edited:
Water Ladybird I presume?

I would like to seek clarification from any experts out there that this is a Water Ladybird.

It was on the reed lined towpath of the Grand Western Canal in Devon and it was a very tiny specimen compared to the commoner black and red Ladybirds we all know and love.

Much appreciated,
Andrew.

Attachments

• LADYBIRD SPECIES.jpg
    LADYBIRD SPECIES.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 117
Yes, Anisosticta novemdecimpunctata - has a somewhat elongated body. The colour changes overwinter from scarlet to ochre ... allegedly - seems not to be consistent nowadays.

I would like to seek clarification from any experts out there that this is a Water Ladybird.

It was on the reed lined towpath of the Grand Western Canal in Devon and it was a very tiny specimen compared to the commoner black and red Ladybirds we all know and love.

Much appreciated,
Andrew.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, I think it was something of your's on the net that I Googled to get the ID. A PDF file with pictures and descriptions on it. Good source of info.

Probable Harlequin & unexpected garden visitor

I found this ladybird along the local riverside walk yesterday (1st two pictures), I believe it to be a Harlequin although its not a colour form I have seen before & was smaller than normal at about 5-6mm long (do you agree Paul?).
While taking those photos a slightly smaller ladybird flew around the garden & landed next to where i was snapping away, I was very surprised to find it was a Cream-streaked Ladybird (last two pictures).

Attachments

• harlequin1.jpg
    harlequin1.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 113
  • harlequin2.JPG
    harlequin2.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 117
  • cream-streaked1.jpg
    cream-streaked1.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 116
  • cream-streaked2.jpg
    cream-streaked2.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 128
Yes, there are some surprisingly small 'harlequins' about this year. These almost spotless patterns are quite common in spring - the more heavily spotted ones appearing later in the year. It's most likely Harmonia axyridis (might, I suppose, be a 10-spot) because, on the first picture you get a hint a the 'keel'. This is a diagnostic feature of 'harlequins' but, unfortunately doesn't show very well on photos! There are slight depressions at the rear of the elytra which leave a ridge across the end of the body - Maybe you can make it out here - http://www.biokids.umich.edu/files/12347/mulsantina_picta_medium.jpg - or here -
http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/images/g07369art01.jpg

I've got a good picture which I'll try and find .....

I found this ladybird along the local riverside walk yesterday (1st two pictures), I believe it to be a Harlequin although its not a colour form I have seen before & was smaller than normal at about 5-6mm long (do you agree Paul?).
While taking those photos a slightly smaller ladybird flew around the garden & landed next to where i was snapping away, I was very surprised to find it was a Cream-streaked Ladybird (last two pictures).

Yes, there are some surprisingly small 'harlequins' about this year. These almost spotless patterns are quite common in spring - the more heavily spotted ones appearing later in the year. It's most likely Harmonia axyridis (might, I suppose, be a 10-spot) because, on the first picture you get a hint a the 'keel'. This is a diagnostic feature of 'harlequins' but, unfortunately doesn't show very well on photos! There are slight depressions at the rear of the elytra which leave a ridge across the end of the body - Maybe you can make it out here - http://www.biokids.umich.edu/files/12347/mulsantina_picta_medium.jpg - or here -
http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/images/g07369art01.jpg

I've got a good picture which I'll try and find .....

Thanks Paul.
It was too big for 10-spot & by a process of elimination it left just Harlequin.
However it does have a 'keel' & also the slight depressions at the rear of the elytra so therefore is definately a Harlequin.

Stuart.

I hope I'm not in the wrong thread. I found this larva on our raspberries and assumed it was a ladybird. Am I right?
Ken

Attachments

• larva 1c (800).jpg
    larva 1c (800).jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 118
I'm finding harlequins (larvae and adults) in more parts of my patch this year.

I found a mating pair of pine ladybirds on dock this afternoon. Dock doesn't seem to be a usual host for them. Roger Hawkins mentions in Ladybirds of Surrey that they turn up occasionally on gorse. Perhaps these were overcome with passion and just didn't care where they were!

My first 14 spot ladybird.

Attachments

• 14SPOTLADY060607.jpg-002.jpg
    14SPOTLADY060607.jpg-002.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 14SPOTLADY060607.jpg-005.jpg
    14SPOTLADY060607.jpg-005.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back