• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good and cheap monocular? (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
I have no experience with monoculars but I have reached the conclusion that a monocular would serve me very good to, at and from my work and when I walk my dog etc. I like the idea that the monocular is so small that it will never be any hassle to keep it in the pocket. What monoculars have you tried and can recommend? Is it only Zeiss/leica that is worthwhile?

Kristoffer.... I just purchased a 6x30 Brunton Eterna Monocular for my brother, Great view 341/1000yds & great eyerelief. Its kind of big, half the size of a Minox 6.5x32 IF I owned. I got it for under $50 on Ebay new....Gwen

No not to big, he did not want to carry a Bino to the beach & this takes up only half the size of a compact. Its waterproof & the optics are good also....Gwen

No I have not, I have a broken half of a military Fujinon IF monocular, can't put that in my pocket. My boy has a Walters scope extra close focus that is 6.3x25 and I just tried it looking at road sign 225 meters away and could easily read the sign and er was good with glasses. This is very light wt. and the closest I see online to this monocular is this one and same size but wo armor BTW my boy's monocular is made in China. I wish I had this with me the other day trying to tell if there was wild turkeys or crows in a field a long ways off. I could tell by mannerism that they were turkeys as well as size.

http://www.adorama.com/VGDM6250.html

I like the look of the vortex. have you tried it?

Last edited:
That was very cheap, hehe. Can I really expect it to perform at that price?

No I have not, I have a broken half of a military Fujinon IF monocular, can't put that in my pocket. My boy has a Walters scope extra close focus that is 6.3x25 and I just tried it looking at road sign 225 meters away and could easily read the sign and er was good with glasses. This is very light wt. and the closest I see online to this monocular is this one and same size but wo armor BTW my boy's monocular is made in China. I wish I had this with me the other day trying to tell if there was wild turkeys or crows in a field a long ways off. I could tell by mannerism that they were turkeys as well as size.

http://www.adorama.com/VGDM6250.html

So I ordered the Opticron Gallery scope 8x20 today from Cleyspy. I really would prefer something like 5x20 or so but 6x16 sounded like a bit too small exit pupil. Well, we will see if I like it :)

By coincidence the new Orion Catalogue, (#101 Holiday 2009) which I received in today's mail, shows a new 10 x 42 Monocular on the inside cover. Only $49.95. No specs like length, weight, ER, etc are given. But it is said to be waterproof.

www.oriontelescopes.com

Bob

PS: See compact binoculars in link above. Has 17mm ER and 309' FOV.

Last edited:
Got my 8x20 Opticron gallery scope today, really fast shipping from cleyspy, thanks! And I really like it, the image is way better then I expected and I like the format. I l give more info later on.

Hi Kristoffer, so how much did you have to pay for the monocular, including shipping?
I'm thinking of the Opticron 6x16

Wolfy

Last edited:
Hi Kristoffer, so how much did you have to pay for the monocular, including shipping?
I'm thinking of the Opticron 6x16

Wolfy

The monocular costed me £69 and along with a mule pack (tripod carrying rucksack) the shipping costed me £10?!. Very nice prices and I got it shipped from UK in two days. Thumbs up. And the monocular impresses me, way to go opticron.

Thanks, Kristoffer. Does anyone know if a 8x20 and a 6xX16 would be equally bright? If they are made in a similar way with equal optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back