• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3D printed adapters (1 Viewer)

3dhubs or 3dprint-uk.com how big a part are you trying... for that money it should be gold plated!

PEter

3D HUBS quoted the £185. Not sure if that includes VAT (Probably doesn't). For that price I would want gold-plated and for them to come and take my photographs. 3d print quoted £48 plus vat plus postage.

Hi again,

Here's what the finished design looks like:

View attachment 656902[/url]

About the first thing I printed with my new 3D printer was a version of my adapter:

P1290311s.jpg

Printing of the body worked quite well with a minimum of printed support, though slic3r produced some extra superfluous support in the rails that was hard to clean up. Maybe I should switch to Cura.

The finish of the clamps would probably look better if they'd have a flat upper surface, so that they could be printed upside-down with no supports.

Regards,

Henning

Hi again,

About the first thing I printed with my new 3D printer was a version of my adapter

Here an example shot using the adapter:

20180408_182732s.jpg

The scope was at 25x, I had to zoom in with the phone to avoid vignetting.

To comply with forum picture size restrictions, the picture is cropped and scaled down.

The picture was taken through window panes. There is some colour fringing visible, not sure what the source might be.

Regards,

Henning

Last edited:
Henning, I would be delighted if I can get images comparable to that. I have ordered an adaptor today from shapeways. It will take about 2 weeks to get here and I will post some image. Thank you so much for your help and your designs.

Hi DB,

Henning, I would be delighted if I can get images comparable to that. I have ordered an adaptor today from shapeways. It will take about 2 weeks to get here and I will post some image.

Awesome! :) I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with the adapter!

(I'm sure we'll find something to improve, even if my first impression is that it's already working pretty well in its current form.)

Regards,

Henning

Well, Shapeways provided the adapter and it seems well made. That took a couple of weeks to arrive as anticipated and it arrived the day before I left for a few days away. Although I thought I had got the alignment correct, in the field it became clear I hadn't got things quite right and unfortunately, on the days I was able to get some birding in, the wind was blowing strongly and so movement was a bit of a problem - birds were moving, the scope was moving and I was moving (I know, I know, excuses). Nonetheless, I am pleased with the results and I think with a bit more practice, this will be fine. I have included a few examples - cropped and reduced in size to comply with gallery rules.

Attachments

• Razorbill 1 (Copy).jpg
    Razorbill 1 (Copy).jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 31
  • reed bunting (Copy).JPG
    reed bunting (Copy).JPG
    486.3 KB · Views: 46
  • puffin (Copy).jpg
    puffin (Copy).jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 33
I have to say having the adapter made things very much easier - indeed, I found it almost impossible to digiscope without it. I still have work to do with my technique and I will spend more time getting the alignment better. I accept the puffin in the images is out of focus. I will explore a shutter release - I tried using the timer the birds wouldn't stay still as required for that to work properly.

So, huge thanks to Henning for his design and support. I am not sure how the adapter could be improved. I know I should carry a screw driver in my bag to allow adjusts.

Hi DB,

Nonetheless, I am pleased with the results and I think with a bit more practice, this will be fine. I have included a few examples - cropped and reduced in size to comply with gallery rules.

Beautiful - I'm happy the adapter works for you! :)

With regard to the release, I'm currently playing around with the OpenCamera app (for Android), which has a sound-triggered shutter release so you don't need to touch the camera to take a picture, avoiding the shake that would come with that.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back