Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Recording Blackbirds: Tips

Old Sunday 18th August 2019, 22:29   #1
cbroster

Question Recording Blackbirds: Tips

Hi all,

I am carrying out a project for my dissertation research, where I am looking at the effect human noise has on the bird song of Robins and Blackbirds. I am not a bird watcher nor have I ever attempted to record them before, but very interested in it. I have been able to record robins rather easily because I just play a robin song and they respond rapidly... but I'm having difficulty recording blackbirds..

Difficulty is an understatement, I've recorded none! I'm not sure if it's the time of year (as I know they can be quiet around this time) or I'm doing something wrong...

Any advice on how to capture a blackbird song? I can easily identify it, I just haven't heard any around Southampton since I've been carrying out this work.

Any advice would be great!!

Thank you
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 06:49   #2
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

It's the time of year - Blackbird song is spring territorial behaviour, roughly February to early July. Robins are different, as they maintain territories year-round, except for a brief lull when they moult in late July-early August; they have just started singing again in the last few days.

PS welcome to Birdforum!
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 21:34   #3
cbroster

Ah thank you!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: