• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good and cheap monocular? (1 Viewer)

The 6x16 got a larger exit pupil but 16mm "feels" kinda small. Sherwood Optics recommended me the 8x20 for more brightness.

Thanks, Kristoffer. Does anyone know if a 8x20 and a 6xX16 would be equally bright? If they are made in a similar way with equal optics.

Does anyone know if a 8x20 and a 6xX16 would be equally bright? If they are made in a similar way with equal optics.

For most any applications you are likely to be using it for, the 6x should collect about as much light as the 8x. In theory, the 8x20 will have better performance in the lowest of light (twilight factor) but that's not these thing's forte anyway.

IMO there are other good reasons to choose the 6x though. Smaller size and weight, much wider field of view, and most useful, a greater depth of field. The last issue minimizes re-focusing which is helpful with these things, for quick handling. The 6x will lessen shake as well, which I find important as they are not the easiest optics to hold steady.

As a point of reference, I have a Nikon 5x15HG and find it about right, for the above reasons.

Thanks Kevin. I actually ordered an Opticron 6x16 today, before I read your post. I thought that the brightness would be approximately similar, just like you wrote.

The decisive factors was the fov of 163m/1000m and that the lower power would be useful in shaky situations, when on a boat, in a car or when I will be on a bus in Cameroon, three months from now :)

I have no experience with monoculars but I have reached the conclusion that a monocular would serve me very good to, at and from my work and when I walk my dog etc. I like the idea that the monocular is so small that it will never be any hassle to keep it in the pocket. What monoculars have you tried and can recommend? Is it only Zeiss/leica that is worthwhile?

I have tried two from Eagle Optics that were not very good. Returned them. Dim and poor optics and not much ER. They were these two and I can't recommend them:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/monoculars/vortex/vortex-solo-8x25-monocular-2

http://www.eagleoptics.com/monoculars/eagle-optics/eagle-optics-insight-7x18-monocular-metallic

But the best one I have ever seen for the money is this one from Orion Telescopes. It is the Orion Eagle Eye 8x32. It has a 7.8 degree FOV and amazingly sharp optics right to the edge. It is a little BIGGER so it is kind of big in a normal pocket but it puts all those little monoculars to shame when it comes to optics:

http://www.telescope.com/control/pr...hSession=65ef9f0c-a590-4ef9-a3c8-4c91b3ad4fc5

Try it you will like it!

Last edited:
But the best one I have ever seen for the money is this one from Orion Telescopes.
http://www.telescope.com/control/pr...hSession=65ef9f0c-a590-4ef9-a3c8-4c91b3ad4fc5

I have to second that. I have had one for about 5-6 years. Blows away the majority of monoculars. Also, focuses down to 2 feet. Still Japanese made, eye relief of 18mm. Recommended.

The one thing i do not like, is the very slow focus, due to the focus being the turning of the whole front 1/2 of the body. BUT generally, i have found focusing to be the sore spot with monoculars.
I have never tried it, but the large Bruton Macroscope has a side mounted focus wheel. I almost got one of those, until in reading user reports, the often reported development of play in that wheel, with use.

Anyway, the Orion thing is very good. The view is actually similar to say, the Eagle Optics Platinum Ranger 8x32, (i think the manufacturer of both was the same back then), except of course, one eye.

Last edited:
I have to second that. I have had one for about 5-6 years. Blows away the majority of monoculars. Also, focuses down to 2 feet. Still Japanese made, eye relief of 18mm. Recommended.

The one thing i do not like, is the very slow focus, due to the focus being the turning of the whole front 1/2 of the body. BUT generally, i have found focusing to be the sore spot with monoculars.
I have never tried it, but the large Bruton Macroscope has a side mounted focus wheel. I almost got one of those, until in reading user reports, the often reported development of play in that wheel, with use.

Anyway, the Orion thing is very good. The view is actually similar to say, the Eagle Optics Platinum Ranger 8x32, (i think the manufacturer of both was the same back then), except of course, one eye.

Yes it is similar to a quality 8x32 roof and that is saying alot. Sure beats all those little 20mm aperture monoculars.Although I haven't tried the little Zeiss or Leica 20mm models. I wonder if they are any better? The case is sure cheap looking for a $140.00 monocular though. Have you found an alternative. I don't like the strap that much either with that big snap hook to attach it with. Optics are surprisingly good and a monocular is convenient and really quicker to get up to your eyes than a binocular. Pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Yes it is similar to a quality 8x32 roof and that is saying alot. Sure beats all those little 20mm aperture monoculars.Although I haven't tried the little Zeiss or Leica 20mm models. I wonder if they are any better? The case is sure cheap looking for a $140.00 monocular though. Have you found an alternative. I don't like the strap that much either with that big snap hook to attach it with. Optics are surprisingly good and a monocular is convenient and really quicker to get up to your eyes than a binocular. Pretty sweet.

I ordered a Zeiss 8x20 monocular from Eagle Optics. I must say what a great monocular! I am quickly becoming a Zeiss convert. I got Eagle Optics to price match another internet website so I got it shipped for $269.99. Not too bad. The thing has amazing optics. It is like a Zeiss Victory 8x20 compact binocular except cut in half. Amazingly bright and sharp to the edge. NOTHING like the little $30.00 8x20 monoculars. Well worth the money. I sent the 8x32 from Orion back because I really prefer the more compact size of the Zeiss and actually I think the view is superior. That's how good the optics are. It's got fully multicoated lens and phase corrected prisms. The strap is perfect and it is attached without a big ring on the side so it fits smoothly in a nice quality leather case and the case has a reinforced hole in it so you can run the strap through the case and around your neck and keep the monocular in the case until you need it and then just zip open the case without fear of losing the case. How ingenius is it that! The monocular itself is amazingly small and compact and would easily fit in your pocket if you didn't want to wear it around your neck. It has a close focus of about 9.8 feet and a FOV of 346 feet(@1000yds) so it pretty much mimics the Zeiss 8x20 Victory binocular. I really give this thing a 5 star rating.

Well the Zeiss may be good, but it certainly isn't cheap (the theme of this thread). BTW, the 6x18 Zeiss monocular focuses 10x closer than the 8x20, for museum and gallery goers as well as plant and insect people.

...is the Orion Eagle Eye 8x32. It has a 7.8 degree FOV and amazingly sharp optics right to the edge. It is a little BIGGER so it is kind of big in a normal pocket but it puts all those little monoculars to shame when it comes to optics:

That was a short love affair, even for you ;)

Well the Zeiss may be good, but it certainly isn't cheap (the theme of this thread). BTW, the 6x18 Zeiss monocular focuses 10x closer than the 8x20, for museum and gallery goers as well as plant and insect people.

That was a short love affair, even for you ;)

I think the Orion stuff targets the astronomers more with their bigger apertures. The case it comes with looks like something you would buy at Walmart if you know what I mean. I have found I have a preference for 8X lately. It seems about the perfect magnification. Enough but not too much. This Zeiss 8x20 has a 345 FOV so it is pretty wide but still able to bring stuff pretty close in. I have tried 6X binoculars and it enough magnification for me. 7X is borderline and 8X is perfect. I don't think there is a cheap good monocular. Same way with 8x20 compact binoculars. With the small aperture you have to pay top dollar and get high quality multicoatings and phase corrected prisms to get something that will satisfy you especially if you are used to using a Zeiss 8x32 FL or any other alpha. You or at least I was just not satisfied with the view.

You know what is funny about Zeiss? It seems like they are inside my brain and they know what I want! If I designed binoculars they would be exactly like Zeiss's. It's like on this monocular they read my thoughts and designed a monocular JUST for me. They are amazingly ingenius with their designs and implementation of their designs. They must actually use the binoculars and accessories they design. Amazing.

Last edited:
I have no experience of the Minox monocular but I do own the Opticron 6x16 monocular (close focus 0.23m) and the Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 (close focus 0,5m).

Both are really good, the Papilios are a just a little sharper but the Opticron has a very wide field of view which makes it really easy to spot a bird or an insect.

Some experiences: it is surprising how hard it is to keep a monocular steady compared to a bino, therefore I would not recommend an 8x monocular.

The shaky view is VERY noticable at close distances, even with a 6x monocular. Even though the obejct is a little further away with the Papilio you really see more detail due to the stable view. Additionally, at closer distances the depth of field is REALLY short which also makes it really hard to use a monocular at close distances. I would say the 6.5x Papilios is the best tool today for watching insects in the field. A 6.5x bino which fucuses at 0.5m gives an enough stable view and enough depth of field for a detailed pleasant view of bugs.

A stabilized monocular would be needed for an improvement, I would say.

Wolf (professional entomologist)

I have no experience of the Minox monocular but I do own the Opticron 6x16 monocular (close focus 0.23m) and the Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 (close focus 0,5m).

Both are really good, the Papilios are a just a little sharper but the Opticron has a very wide field of view which makes it really easy to spot a bird or an insect.

Some experiences: it is surprising how hard it is to keep a monocular steady compared to a bino, therefore I would not recommend an 8x monocular.

The shaky view is VERY noticable at close distances, even with a 6x monocular. Even though the obejct is a little further away with the Papilio you really see more detail due to the stable view. Additionally, at closer distances the depth of field is REALLY short which also makes it really hard to use a monocular at close distances. I would say the 6.5x Papilios is the best tool today for watching insects in the field. A 6.5x bino which fucuses at 0.5m gives an enough stable view and enough depth of field for a detailed pleasant view of bugs.

A stabilized monocular would be needed for an improvement, I would say.

Wolf (professional entomologist)

On the Zeiss 8x20 monocular the DOF is quite good and FOV is large too 345 feet(@1000yds). I find if I hold I hold it with two hands I can hold it quite steady. It is hard to beat the size, convenience and quickness of an 8x20 monocular. You can get a monocular up to your eye much quicker than even binoculars for that quick look(No adjusting IPD). I just hang it around my neck or put it in my pocket and I have it all times. Plus they are more inconspicuous if say you are using it in a neighborhood and you don't want people to know you are using a binocular because maybe they think you are spying on them. With the monocular you can put your hand over it and nobody you knows you are using it. Good birding tool and for nature observation. Zeiss also makes them with smaller magnifications which have a REALLY close focus.

Has anyone tried the Minox Macroscope? I think it's a good option and is very good for close viewing of insects too.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/9476/minox_macroscope_telescope/

It's 8x25. I use it with my specs on.

The Minox looks pretty good although the ER at 12mm is a little short for me. The Zeiss has 16mm. The Minox is also a little bigger than the Zeiss although it is still small. How are the optics on it especially at the edge? With it's close focus the Minox would be better for insect observation but I don't use my monocular in that way. The reviews at Amazon are somewhat spotty on the Minox at a shade over three-stars. Some people didn't like it for one reason or another but you can take that with a grain of salt. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Minox-62206-8x25-Macroscope/dp/B000K2D7H6

Last edited:
The Minox Macroscope has a screw thread fitting so it could be mounted very easily on a Gorillapod or similar pocket tripod to allow very stable views. If needed, it could even be put on a full sized tripod for more comfortable observation. While not as compact as the Zeiss 8x20, it too is waterproof and robust. It is a very versatile bit of kit, combining good optics with exceptional focal range.

The Minox Macroscope has a screw thread fitting so it could be mounted very easily on a Gorillapod or similar pocket tripod to allow very stable views. If needed, it could even be put on a full sized tripod for more comfortable observation. While not as compact as the Zeiss 8x20, it too is waterproof and robust. It is a very versatile bit of kit, combining good optics with exceptional focal range.

I could visuallize it being used as a bird feeder scope mounted on a small tripod and permantly sitting on a small table with view of your feeder ready for a quick look at a moments notice. Mounted on a tripod I imagine it would give quite a satisfactory view. Interesting.

I bought the Gallery scope 8x20. I really like it and use it every day when I go to work. Now I need another one for my girlfriend, and I consider buying the 6x16 Gallery scope since I know it´s a good product and it can be interesting to compare em. Or does anyone got a better suggestion for a monocular?

From time to time a Zeiss 8x30B monocular pops up for sale. Some are modified to attach to cameras as a telephone lens. Others are simply monoculars. I have the latter and it is very comfortable to use even though the coatings are dated.

John

I tried a sample of the Viking monocular (from another company but probably from the same OEM) and it was very, very good. I was quite suprised. It's the same sort of optics as the "Chinese EDs" except perhaps a little better (better stray light control?) and only one tube.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back