• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it possible to format floppies...(more) (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
...that WinXP labeled "cannot be formatted"?

I've just gone through 2 dozen floppy disks (3.5-inch size) and some of them I've tried to format but for some reason I can't.

Is there a way I can format these few "unformattable" floppies?

What about a third-party shareware program?

My boss really needs these disks. They are used to load an "image" for the company's computer (all computers have the same image, which contains hardware and software information)

Excuse me if you know this(you probably do), but are you sure they're not write-protected? To unprotect, slide the catch in the top corner so that it covers the small, square hole.

I checked that but still can't format them.

I tried downloading a formating program (hoping it'd fix whatever was preventing the format and then format it.)... still not formating... oh well, if it's not possible to format these disks, then no big deal, but if you have any advice, it'd be greatly appreciated.

gthang said:

I've just gone through 2 dozen floppy disks (3.5-inch size) and some of them I've tried to format but for some reason I can't.

My boss really needs these disks. They are used to load an "image" for the company's computer (all computers have the same image, which contains hardware and software information)
Have you tried formatting them from a DOS prompt?
Forgive me if I am teaching my granny to suck eggs, but in XP from start choose Run and in the dialogue type CMD to open a dos command prompt, from here just type format a:
To leave the DOS window just type Exit
If that don't work you could always try them on a non XP machine.

gthang said:

Its possible that they are just worn out or damaged. The head on a floppy disk drive actually touches the media of a floppy disk when it reads/writes/formats, and just like your VHS tapes at home they deteriorate until the cannot be formatted.
Even if you did eventually manage to format them, its possible that data may not be written to or read from these diskettes.

Its always possible its the FD drive itself that needs cleaning. You can get floppy cleaning kits like you can get VHS head cleaning kits.

Personally, I'd throw the diskettes away and buy a couple of boxes of new ones. If those fail then its the FD drive itself!.

HTH

!'ve come across pre-loaded floppies that have not been created using PC standards or formattable by normal methods - Maxblast (Maxtor hard disk) drive overlay disks were one.

If your disks are of different brands then I suggest they have been damaged in storage - or your drive needs replacing.

Try them in a old Mac - make sure they're fomatted as PC compatible.

Andy.

OK, when I attempt to Change Directory (CD [dir] or [drive]) to A:, I get several error messages:

Disk 1: "The drive cannot find the sector requested."
Disk 2: "The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."
Disk 3 and Disk 4 say the same thing as Disk 2.

These disks were all IBM formatted from the factory, and several disks from the same box (and same amount of wear) work great.

I suspect that your drive may be the problem and would suggest that it's time to bin the floppies and use CDs; they must be about the same price these days.

If you weren't across the pond you could have the floppy drive out of my PC; it has never been used!

Andy

We've had some trouble with floppies formatted on old versions on Windows, then trying to read a file with XP. XP is not compatible with everything. Then when you decide to reformat the old floppies using XP, these same discs are useless forever.

Floppy drives usually die the dust death pretty fast these days, when they aren't used as much. Anyway, a trick for reformatting old floppy discs is to expose them to a different strenght magnetic field, i.e. any magnet you've got laying around. Then try it again :)

Just out of interest, can you read any other floppies with the drive, if not it may be that you need to enable the floppy drive in the bios. Windows XP has a known problem with floppy drives, sometimes deleting the drive in device manager then restarting the computer can make all the difference, it automatically re-installs the floppy driver.

nirofo.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back