• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Disappointing regarding the Avocet - I assume the vegatation growth around the sitting bird forced it off the nest. Think that shows that pulling the vegetation each spring isnt enough. I take it the 11th chick that has disappeared was the sickly youngester of the two on the shoreline in front of the third Flash?

My thoughts too Phil re vegetation. It would have been the reason for abandonment in my opinion.
The sick youngster is no longer around. Although it was nearly 2 hours before the healthy one appeared. :t:john

Agree, John, with regard to how quiet UW has been this May - there are a good number of days where the forum page has stayed the same all day! - whether this is due to the very mixed spring weather migration conditions - who knows? What is apparant is that it is not due to lack of coverage!;)

Laurie:t:

All is not lost Laurie - the last royal-related Bank Holiday (29th April last year) saw Arctic Tern, White Wag, Whimbrel, Wood Sand and Greenshank all recorded at Upton; am expecting something decent in the next few days.

All is not lost Laurie - the last royal-related Bank Holiday (29th April last year) saw Arctic Tern, White Wag, Whimbrel, Wood Sand and Greenshank all recorded at Upton; am expecting something decent in the next few days.

That weekend around the Royal wedding was one of my favorite weekends of the year! Despite missing the Bluethroat :-C
I'll be on holiday from Saturday, so expect something good in the week after then. Theres always something to grip me off! Last year is was a run of R N Phals!
MB

Seemed pretty quiet today at the Moors although I did miss the Med gulls! :(
3 Grey Heron. Pr Common Tern have established a territory on the old raft N. end of the pool.
Male Sparrowhawk. Sedge warblers singing/showing. Reed Warblers showed in front of the Water Rail Hide. Several Kingfisher visits by adult male briefly & 2 juveniles fought over the perch. 2 new Mute Swans flew through.
A few images from today:
1. Common Tern
2. Juvenile Kingfishers argue over perch rights.
3. Juvenile Kingfisher
4. Reed Warbler
5. Moorhen does a Kingfisher impression.

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB0289 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB0289 - Version 2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 67
  • _ROB0207.jpg
    _ROB0207.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 84
  • _ROB0093 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB0093 - Version 2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 85
  • _ROB0019 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB0019 - Version 2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 73
  • _ROB0073 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB0073 - Version 2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 60
3 Grey Heron. Pr Common Tern have established a territory on the old raft N. end of the pool.
Male Sparrowhawk. Sedge warblers singing/showing. Reed Warblers showed in front of the Water Rail Hide. Several Kingfisher visits by adult male briefly & 2 juveniles fought over the perch. 2 new Mute Swans flew through.
A few images from today:
1. Common Tern
3. Juvenile Kingfisher
4. Reed Warbler

Rob

Encouraging to know that Kingfishers must have bred locally.

A few images from today:
1. Common Tern
3. Juvenile Kingfisher
4. Reed Warbler

Rob

Great pics, Rob. If only the Common Tern's diagnostic features were as clear in real time.

As regards sightings at the Moors yesterday I can add a long-awaited Cuckoo perched and flying between trees. Also two LPRs and an Avocet put in appearances. A Kingfisher continued to perform around the Sand Martin chalet. The three Oystercatcher chicks are growing apace and acquiring adult colour.

Peter

Agreed Phil, it's still page 440 tho';) There is, however, quite a lot of excellent quality scarce migrants and rarities about - no doubt the product of the recent good weather from the Continent, altho with the usual Eastern and Southern bias. All the good reason to get out and about and find something! Am down to Clifton/Kempsey/Grimley/Holt today so watch this space.

Bad news is that i am taking the Orphean from 81' Scillies off my list as it was'nt ascribed a subspecific appendage and they are probably going to be split.....boo hoo:C

Encouraging to know that Kingfishers must have bred locally.

According to the RSPB a kingfishers territory is usually 1km of river and any local water body, however it can extend to 3/5km, so there's a good chance that they are close by on the Salwarpe :t:

P.S. How do I get rid of that Union flag next to my name? I hate it

Great pics, Rob. If only the Common Tern's diagnostic features were as clear in real time.

As regards sightings at the Moors yesterday I can add a long-awaited Cuckoo perched and flying between trees. Also two LPRs and an Avocet put in appearances. A Kingfisher continued to perform around the Sand Martin chalet. The three Oystercatcher chicks are growing apace and acquiring adult colour.

Peter

Thank you Peter. Glad to hear you got your Cuckoo! :t:

Rob

Agreed Phil, it's still page 440 tho';) There is, however, quite a lot of excellent quality scarce migrants and rarities about - no doubt the product of the recent good weather from the Continent, altho with the usual Eastern and Southern bias. All the good reason to get out and about and find something! Am down to Clifton/Kempsey/Grimley/Holt today so watch this space.

Bad news is that i am taking the Orphean from 81' Scillies off my list as it was'nt ascribed a subspecific appendage and they are probably going to be split.....boo hoo:C

Dont worry Laurie - I will share the Hartlepool bird with you.

Adult Med Gull reported at the Moors Pool this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back