• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terns - Arctic or Common? (1 Viewer)

PeterHD

Hi All - I am struggling with some tern ID. These pictures were all taken in early August a few years ago in Northern Denmark (location: Skagen Beach).

I cannot find out if they are Arctic Terns (Sterna paradisaea) or Common Terns (Sterna hirundo)?

There are four birds in question:
Collage 1: The same bird seen from two slightly different angles
Collage 2: A Sandwich Tern (Sterna sandvicensis) has caought a fish and a smaller tern is looking at it. The smaller tern - what species is that?
Collage 3: The same Sandwich Tern is now being chased by another small tern. What species is it?
Collage 4: This small tern was sitting on the beach and I got these two pictures.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Best, Peter

Attachments

• Collage_1.jpg
    Collage_1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Collage_2.jpg
    Collage_2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Collage_3.jpg
    Collage_3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 124
  • Collage4.jpg
    Collage4.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 138
#1 - juvenile Arctic / Havterne
#2 - adult & juvenile Sandwich / Splitterne
#3 - juvenile Arctic
#4 - juvenile Arctic

Juvenile Common / Fjordterne differs in being browner toned above (greyer in Arctic), with a dark secondary bar (pale secondaries in Arctic).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back