• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ASAP please- bird nest is distress (1 Viewer)

Notabirder0o0

Hi bird people - I need your help I know nothing about birds

I was moving all of the items off of my deck today so I could spray a sealant on it...

(sm tangent: my dad fixed up my small deck this winter and added a roof to it for shade - and I haven't been able to seal/the wood until now so it's been a awhile unused)

Only after moving everything and finishing sealing the deck did I notice in my collapsible canvas chair (it had been collapsed and stored upright on the deck for all these months untouched) a little bird nest with eggs in it.

My husband says they won't hatch cause the mom will abandon it now but I thought that's a myth...

Is this a lost cause or should I try and move the nest into a tree? It cannot stay in the chair... please advise

I can upload a pic if anyone responds (assuming it's easy to attach one - I've never been here before.

Thanks - sorry for the long post.

TL;DR: can I move a birds nest with unhatched eggs?

We beg you, please do not touch the nest. Is there anyway you can hold off working on that part of the deck for a few weeks to a month? The parents will most like abandon the eggs if you tamper with the nest now. Sounds like it may be a Wren nest. They're good at building nests in places like that.

BTW, A warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum ;)

That's the problem- I moved my little table and chair set. And 2 collapsible canvas chairs and grill and did all the work before attempting to open the chair and brush out what I thought might be a few stray leaves

So at this point it too late - kinda.

I didn't physically touch the nest but I'm sure it was jiggled a bit when it was moved.

I can put the chair back where I found it if you think that would help.

I'll try to attach a pic I took when I realized there was a nest

Well apparently the pic my phone took is too big to attach...

The way the chair is folded up, the nest is pretty enclosed. I got close and zoomed in with my camera and got a shot of the 3 little white eggs with lots of pink looking speckles

Does that help any?

Last edited:
I didn't realize you had already moved it. You can try to put it back and hopefully you'll see the parent return to the nest

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back