• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unnaturally friendly bird (1 Viewer)

birdinfield

Wondering if anyone can opine on this behavior. I am in a college town in Northwest Georgia. It’s a quiet neighborhood with a fair amount of wildlife includjng deer that hang out in our yard.

This afternoon a bird friend flew into my workshop (open air, not indoors). I thought it was hanging out surprisingly close to me, then it kept coming even closer. My kids came out to see it and it hopped on the five year old’s head and just sat there for a few seconds until casually flying over to land on a piece of wood. Later, the bird flew over and gently landed on the other kid’s head and casually sat there chilling out.

Fearing something might be wrong, we decided to give the bird some space but the bird seems really attracted to people, hanging out right outside our window looking in, and surprising me by landing on my head when I walked outside to see if was still around.

It didn’t seem aggressive, but definitely strangely comfortable with and attracted to humans.

Has anyone seen similar behavior, or have an idea of what this could be?

Attachments

• D4C31D84-3D0F-49E1-AF06-292DEC71A5AC.jpeg
    D4C31D84-3D0F-49E1-AF06-292DEC71A5AC.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 120
It's a juvenile American Robin, only recently out of the nest - probably too young yet to have discovered that humans can be dangerous!

PS welcome to Birdforum!

Nearly stood on a robin in the garden last week, and it would happily sit within a few feet as I worked so that it could get to the fresh earth as I moved.

Then yesterday in the kitchen I head my younger daughter shout "Cheeky little bu**er"! I went to see, and she said a robin had flown in through the conservatory into the living room. sat on a standing fan near to the TV she was watching, looked around and at her for a few seconds, then flown directly back out!

We've had a young blue tit fly into the conservatory and then had to coax it out. But I've noticed robins sometimes seem to be more watching us inside from the bird feeders/table outside, rather than just warily looking out for us which is what the other birds do.

Wondering if anyone can opine on this behavior. I am in a college town in Northwest Georgia. It’s a quiet neighborhood with a fair amount of wildlife includjng deer that hang out in our yard.

This afternoon a bird friend flew into my workshop (open air, not indoors). I thought it was hanging out surprisingly close to me, then it kept coming even closer. My kids came out to see it and it hopped on the five year old’s head and just sat there for a few seconds until casually flying over to land on a piece of wood. Later, the bird flew over and gently landed on the other kid’s head and casually sat there chilling out.

Fearing something might be wrong, we decided to give the bird some space but the bird seems really attracted to people, hanging out right outside our window looking in, and surprising me by landing on my head when I walked outside to see if was still around.

It didn’t seem aggressive, but definitely strangely comfortable with and attracted to humans.

Before I left Montana, I had a bunch of small songbirds follow me around. One time I had a chickadee swinging from my metal eyeglass arms. How long have you lived at your home? When I split, I imagine it would have weird for the new owners to see that behavior...

What species of bird? Blue Jays, chickadees and crows are often hand tamed by people. More information about the bird would definitely help.

It would seem that this bird was raised by humans. Either it was found on the ground and fed by whoever was caring for it or it was an injured immature bird and was rehabilitated by a birding organization and then released when it was okay on its own.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back