• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron IS 50 (1 Viewer)

Helder Cardoso

Hello,

Anyone with experience on this scope? Can anyone help me with opinions on this scope image quality, with a IS 20x eyepiece?

Looking for a travel scope on the budget.

Many thanks.

I used to have an IS60 that I have now replaced with a MM3-50mm. That to me felt like a definite step up in quality. The thing is I have used both scopes with a zoom ocular, so no opinion on the IS20 eyepiece.

Niels

I have a one with a 20x eyepiece, I use a kowa tsn 823 as my main scope and whilst the opticron can't compare in terms of brightness, contrast etc. It is a useful second scope and the image is pretty good as long as light conditions aren't too challenging

Thank you for your reply.

I´m now considering one of two options, having a limited budget in mind:

Opticron is 50 or a Alpen 15-45x60, the reviews i read were quite positive for this spotting scope. I had considered Opticron MM2 but not being waterproof is an issue for me.

My main scope is a Leica APO televid, wonderfull for seabirding and waders..but quite heavy for travelling.

If someone has opinions on the Alpen, i am eager to learn them.

Thank you for your reply.

I´m now considering one of two options, having a limited budget in mind:

Opticron is 50 or a Alpen 15-45x60, the reviews i read were quite positive for this spotting scope. I had considered Opticron MM2 but not being waterproof is an issue for me.

My main scope is a Leica APO televid, wonderfull for seabirding and waders..but quite heavy for travelling.

If someone has opinions on the Alpen, i am eager to learn them.

Hi.

I have the Alpen 15-45x60 and I think it's a waste of money. You can only use it from 15-30x, and it's not even good at those magnifications. I bought it after i had read good reviews on the internet, but it doesn't stand up to my expectations, no matter the price. If you have a Leica APO, you will be disappointed.

Thank you tommybj, for the advice. I´ve read some good reviews too, but i was a litle skeptical about the scope...

I´m still wondering about a Opticron IS 50 with a 20x eyepiece.. my budget is 250€ (196£).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back