• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monovid vs Trinovid 8x20 (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I am thinking in to buy a small all round binocular, and I like know your opiniion on this two posibilities, a Monovid 8x20 or a Trinovid 8x20 , of equivalent price..
Thanks for your comments.
Wachi

The Monovid 8x20 is a monocular. Do you want opinions on the difference between using a monocular and using a binocular like the 8x20 Trinovid?

Monovid is smaller but Trinovid has viewing advantage (2 eyes are better than one) and I find holding and focusing binoculars easier than monoculars.

--AP

Why not consider the Ultravid 8x20?
I have both the Monovid and the Ultravid 8x20. They are both fantastic. Optically they are the same as far as I know, but there is a drastic difference in using one or two eyes to watch an object. So unless you have a very specific reason for mono-viewing, I'd go with the twin barreled Ultravid. They hardly take up any space when folded down, they easy fit in the pocket of your jacket.

The Ultravid (and the optically identical Monovid) is a real marvel with crystal clear sharp images during daytime. You cannot go wrong with them. Of course the size has it's drawbacks. Due to the small exit pupil the viewing is not as comfortable as their bigger brothers and sisters, correct eye placement is important. But out of all my bins, these actually get most 'useful' real world use since I carry them anywhere and they are always ready at hand.

I'm not sure how they compare to the Trinovid. But the BR model is 'only' slightly more expensive (compared to the fancy new silver and colored ones).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back