• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

Following the above on the possible Grey Throated Martin:

Over the last few days there have been POSSIBLE Grey Throated and POSSIBLE Pale Martin/s at Jahra Pools. They are not 100% confirmed; given the extreme difficulty in identifying them, and indeed the general confusion around taxonomy of these species.

Having seen both Grey Throated and Pale Martins in the UAE and Asia, and then having seen these birds also, I am still not 100% sure of their ID.

They have yet to be submitted to KORC for acceptance and we have firstly reached out to several riparia experts and are awaiting their feedback.

Of course they WP Team wouldn't need the Pale Martin since they saw the bird in Jan but I guess the GT Martin would interest them. There's still one or two Shikra knocking about as well...

As others have said, surely the application of European rather than American bird names should be used on this side of the Atlantic? I do realise that many of you don't care but some do!

A

I hadn't noticed until just now that they had deleted Long-toed Stint so currently 747 with 9 likely in the balance of the year:-
Houbara Bustard
Bolle's Pigeon
Laurel Pigeon
Fuerteventura Chat
Canary Islands Chiffchaff
Tenerife Blue Chaffinch
Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch
Yellow-billed Loon
Grey-headed Chickadee

According to artobservasioner.no the now last remaining 'likely' species (White-billed Diver/Yellow-billed Loon) was recently quite regularly recorded with up to 3 individuals around Trondheim. So maybe they should give it a try, as it is obviously quite easy to get there from Sweden?

Greetings
Thorsten

Sounds like a good idea ;)
I wouldn't be too surprised if they called it a wrap and took some vacation til the end of the year ;P

Well that was an exciting 11 months..... A really fascinating adventure to follow.

I guess they will take it relatively easy for the next month, and maybe just twitch a couple more species (Ross's Gull must be likely somewhere, given the weather in NW Europe currently, and perhaps an over-wintering American passerine somewhere?).

Well that was an exciting 11 months..... A really fascinating adventure to follow.

I guess they will take it relatively easy for the next month, and maybe just twitch a couple more species (Ross's Gull must be likely somewhere, given the weather in NW Europe currently, and perhaps an over-wintering American passerine somewhere?).

I assume they got Siberian Jay and Pine Grosbeak, have the racked up all the Woodpeckers and all the Owls?

Was Western Brown Fish Owl available this year, did they go?

A

DanielDoer;3649487 Hopefully they'll go for Pine Bunting in Switzerland next...[/QUOTE said:
Well hopefully the PBs are still there, I’ve seen no reports of them on Ornitho.ch
since last Sunday 26 Nov (probably that’s just a sign of how hard-working the Swiss birders are Monday
to Friday ;))

Well hopefully the PBs are still there, I’ve seen no reports of them on Ornitho.ch since last Sunday 26 Nov (probably that’s just a sign of how hard-working the Swiss birders are Monday to Friday ;))

or it's just a sign of the squeamishness of Swiss birders:-O - it was raining and snowing a lot the last days!

or it's just a sign of the squeamishness of Swiss birders:-O - it was raining and snowing a lot the last days!

Club300 Switzerland answered my question, if the Pine Buntings are still in Ticino: They suppose the birds to be there still, but they refer to a low density birders in the region. But probably you are right, Flownek :)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back