• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new Olympus E-M5/OM-D (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
After all the wild speculation and rumours over the past few weeks, I am looking forward to seeing what the new Olympus camera is like when it is announced on Wednesday.

It seems likely that it will be m4/3 with a 16mp Panasonic sensor and a built-in EVF. It seems that the styling will be based on the much loved classic Olympus OM film cameras. Hopefully there could be a new weather resistant 4/3-m4/3 adapter to go with it.

I hope it is not a disappointment, as Olympus really need some good news at the moment.

Here is a link to a rumour site with information which may or may not prove to be reasonably accurate:
http://www.43rumors.com/

Ron

Last edited:
Good concept, now give us some long & reasonably fast primes (300 f4 & 400 f5.6 will be ideal for starters).

What can we infer from the name of the camera?

E-M5 implies that it's not just a continuation of the E-P series.

But I assume that there was never going to be an E-P4 because the Japanese always(?) skip 4. So if it's not replacing the E-P series, is that series finished now, or will there be an E-P5 too? Could this be the mirrorless equivalent of the E-5?

I suppose we find out in a few hours. If that price is correct then I'm not getting excited at all about the possibility of owning one, just very interested to see how this camera relates to the progress of mirrorless cameras.

I'm especially interested to know the resolution of the EVF. This specification is often quite hard to find out for any camera. Dpreview doesn't even include it in the main specs lists, but gives prominence to the LCD resolution, which I couldn't care less about.

I'm seeing more and more signs of acceptance of mirrorless cameras and EVFs among more serious bird photographers, so it would be good if this camera helped that along. Tiny cameras with no built in viewfinder haven't done much to promote mirrorless to that group.

It does look a little pricey next to the G3 but it has a magnesium, weather sealed body and comes with a quality, sealed lens. It also comes with a separate flash which can act as a sender for another flash unit if required. As mentioned in the preview, it also has plenty of control points, which is nice.

There are no sample images taken with it available yet and no reviews but at first glance I find it really appealing. In fact, I really want one! Whether I can afford one is a completely different matter.

Ron

Last edited:
Every time Olympus brings out a new range of cameras I hope that in some way it will live up to my ageing but still functional film OM kit. I'm not sure that this will ever happen.
With respect to the number 4 the OM4Ti certainly was not unlucky and pricewise the new OMs sound about right if the build quality is as they claim. Gasket sealed cameras are not cheap.
The nearest cameras to the original Pen concept (most had fixed lenses) are possibly the Ricoh GRDs, but I did use the EP1/2 range for their own virtues.
As just about everytime I do any bird photography these days I use video, so all this is possibly a bit immaterial, however, for the bulk of my other photographic activities it would be nice if someone other than Fuji could come up with a camera that is fun to use.
So fingers crossed for the new OMs.

Last edited:
I have been happy with the GH2, but this looks like a camera to keep an eye on. Whether it will be worth purchasing is for later when we know more. (and know what the competition will bring out before I need to upgrade).

Niels

full frame will not allow it to be small, but the OM lenses mount idea is so great but i don't think this is the case.
You need the MF-2 OM Adapter for this (or a cheaper alternative). It would be no good for me, though, as I am hopeless at manual focusing.

I don't think there will ever be an Olympus full frame camera as they see the future as m4/3 and there is no way they will introduce a third range of lenses. M4/3 is the way I see myself heading when I can afford it. I think the E-MF looks extremely appealing if the image quality is as good as its appearance.

Ron

You need the MF-2 OM Adapter for this (or a cheaper alternative). It would be no good for me, though, as I am hopeless at manual focusing.
But cameras with an EVF should let you magnify the view at the press of a button. A magnified view makes accurate manual focussing much easier.

But cameras with an EVF should let you magnify the view at the press of a button. A magnified view makes accurate manual focussing much easier.

i agree with that, as have found that MF on the Bigma + EPL1 + EVF is much easier that when E620 + Bigma. speically if the subject is close (less than 10 meters)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back