• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid Review - Birdwatching Magazine (1 Viewer)

Well, those sorts of conditions tend to separate the wheat from the chaff, IMO. Personally, it's those exact conditions in which I reach for my best bins, as they offer the highest brightness, resolution and contrast. Most any bin looks good in full sun but, in poorer conditions, the truly great will shine.

Even today, we have those same weather conditions and I can take a very good bin [Conquest HD] and compare to my best [HT] and really see the difference in brightness, transparency and image ''pop.''

You're right about that James but I was thinking that expectations can be raised to a level that can never be met by viewing in really dull weather.

Lee

I think it's because SF brought the weight down a bit , an improvement over SV. The fact the Leica is shorter, some of us hoped it would be relatively light as well. And, some of us were hoping that ergonomics and weight would be considered much more in the design process for the Noctivid. We were hoping to see improvements here.

First time I tried SF was when it just came out at the nature store. I only tried it for a few minutes, but I immediately noticed it felt lighter than SV and had good feel.

I got a second chance this weekend when a birder (who I never met before) allowed me to try his 10x42 SF. I got the same impression again - ergonomics of the SF are great. IMO Zeiss did a wonderful job here. It's a big, long binocular , but I have to say it is very comfortable to use and the focus was nice and smooth too albeit a bit fast for me. I normally like compact binos, but I could see myself getting by fine with the SF. It's just so darn expensive.

It might be harder to bring down the weight of binoculars with dual hinges because of the construction of the hinges. A full lightweight magnesium frame can be much lighter. Consider the Leica UV 8x42 Black Line at 25 ounces.

And the Zeiss 8x42 Victory SF weighs about the same as the discontinued 8x42 FL but it had to use SP prisms to get its weight down with the FL which had AK prisms. The FL was also made with high impact plastics to keep its weight down.

Bob

What amuses me is how many people on here will rattle endlessly about all the this and that's of the different Alpha binoculars but never buy one. If you haven't bought one in the last year with the incredible prices that have been offered on different brand new Swarovski, Leica, and Zeiss top of the line models, then I don't know what you're waiting for. The 10X42 SF is actually bringing more on EBay than you can buy a new one for at the present time.

Last edited:
I think you should strongly consider this deal https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com...ing&m=simple&gclid=CPDuuOOJzNACFZQ2gQodlbUK2w , just check with them to make sure they have a current SN pair. When these deals are over I'm sure you can get your money back and maybe then some, If you lose any it won't be much. I've got an idea you'll keep them for a long time. If you want the updated eyecups just call Zeiss, you'll have them in a few days.

Sorry for going off topic.

Wow, that is a huge discount!!
Astonishing that Zeiss would allow an authorized distributor to undercut the SF price by that much. I can't see a long term future for Rogers with Zeiss after this caper.

The grey units are a discountinued model so that most likely means all restrictions are off for Rogers and the other dealers selling out remaining inventory. I called Zeiss a while back about Rogers before buying a Zeiss product and I was told they were a large authorized dealer for Zeiss. It was a positive exchange.

I do not see the close out sales as being a caper. The same thing took place with Europtics and the sell off of the Swaro pre ProField EL SV models. I spoke with a Swaro rep about it at the time while attending a birding festival and he said they were a good dealer and to go for it. Europtics has also offered some great discounts on outgoing Leica models and continues to be a Leica dealer.

The grey units are a discountinued model so that most likely means all restrictions are off for Rogers and the other dealers selling out remaining inventory. I called Zeiss a while back about Rogers before buying a Zeiss product and I was told they were a large authorized dealer for Zeiss. It was a positive exchange.

I do not see the close out sales as being a caper. The same thing took place with Europtics and the sell off of the Swaro pre ProField EL SV models. I spoke with a Swaro rep about it at the time while attending a birding festival and he said they were a good dealer and to go for it. Europtics has also offered some great discounts on outgoing Leica models and continues to be a Leica dealer.

Thank you! Great additional perspective and insight.
So Rogers is working with the manufacturers blessing. That helps ease warranty concerns.

Rogers was an authorized dealer when I called a year or more ago, but if there are any concerns, it would would be best to confirm with Zeiss. I was checking to make sure a Zeiss rebate would be accepted.

Rogers had top notch customer service in my case. UPS did some damage to my order and Rogers was great in the way they handled the whole incident.

I agree GG ..... the review seems a fair cop (did tick all the marketing boxes though) ....

Considering their size (fairly compact for a 42mm) , and the fact that they aren't overly packed with glass (multiple field flattners, or big A-K prisms, etc), or large FOV, the question remains ............ why are these bins so [goshdarned] heavy ????!

They are at least 100 grams (~4oz) over par.

While some think that a digital revolution is the solution to all our woes (I'll leave my eyeballs free from point blank electromagnetic bombardment and high frequency - but still not real - simulated image jiggery-p** thanks very much! :) , the lightweight materials, precision engineered evolution is so long overdue it's just not funny :brains:

Bring on the CFRP .......

Chosun :gh:

That's 4 0z of "mojo" added to make it the creme de la creme!!! Didn't you catch that in the marketing literature???

CG

The 10X42 SF is actually bringing more on EBay than you can buy a new one for at the present time.

Illogical

I've seen some high bids on other stuff that could be bought for just a little more new but not this extreme?

It seems the Nocivid is turning out to cater to a reasonable amount of clientele and the other top bins likewise to their users for their viewing preferences.

It's more good choice for all so all in all what's not to like.

Last edited:
I went back and looked at the sold tab for Zeiss SF, the recent results were for new units, but they were going for over $1699. After the closeouts are gone it will be interesting, I bet used will be above $1699, if less, probably not much.

Illogical

I've seen some high bids on other stuff that could be bought for just a little more new but not this extreme?

It seems the Nocivid is turning out to cater to a reasonable amount of clientele and the other top bins likewise to their users for their viewing preferences.

It's more good choice for all so all in all what's not to like.

A full lightweight magnesium frame can be much lighter. Consider the Leica UV 8x42 Black Line at 25 ounces.
Bob

Bob I love the Black Lines with their elegance recalling the early Trinovids but to quote their weight is cheating a bit since they have no rubber armour.

Lee

Wow, that is a huge discount!!
Astonishing that Zeiss would allow an authorized distributor to undercut the SF price by that much. I can't see a long term future for Rogers with Zeiss after this caper.

I don't know what the laws regarding retail pricing are like in the USA but in Europe the manufacturers can state a recommended retail price and the dealers are free to charge whatever price they like in the spirit of free and open markets.

And the manufacturers would never dream of interfering with this :eek!:

Lee

Do I foresee a Noctivid Black Line. It's cloudy but I think it's coming through.

Wouldn't that be the first dual hinge leather job?

Could be nice.

Maybe the Noctivid II HD ++ is already in the planning.

Last edited:
Do I foresee a Noctivid Black Line. It's cloudy but I think it's coming through.

Wouldn't that be the fist dual hinge leather job?

Could be nice.

Maybe the Noctivid II HD ++ is already in the planning.

Yep, I can see it too: Guinness-black leather topped with creamy-white eyecups: yummy :-O .

Lee

A man in a fancy Swarovski outfit at a local Cabela's grand opening last summer told me, DO NOT ! buy a 10X50 SV for less than the then (sale price) of $2499 or you won't have a warranty, so I listened to him. In December I then see them on the web for $1899 from one of Swarovski's top dealers, moral of the story, forget the MAP bullshit and buy optics as cheap as you can as long as they originate in the USA. I can tell you that the smaller Swarovski dealers I spoke to were severely pissed about the blowout and said they were having to sell at cost to get rid of what they had left. This time around I said to hell with the Johnny Do Good conscientious routine and went for the crazy low SF deal.

I don't know what the laws regarding retail pricing are like in the USA but in Europe the manufacturers can state a recommended retail price and the dealers are free to charge whatever price they like in the spirit of free and open markets.

And the manufacturers would never dream of interfering with this :eek!:

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back