• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta (1 Viewer)

dries1

Does anyone here follow Meopta products?, and if so are they phasing out the Meostar B1 and pushing the Meopro products, just curious since the prices on the B1 products seem to be decreasing.

A.W.

A Meostar B1 replacement has been in development at least 4 years to my knowledge and is rather overdue. I have no information about any launch date, but I can't help wondering if the current discounting is a bit more than a coincidence.

David

What I was told is that Meopta has a new director of sales, and he would like to see Meoptas market share increase, hence the price decreases. I think it's a smart move.

David thanks, I was looking at the 15X56 and the 12X50 B1s, are some of these sold without HD and is there a profound difference, additionally I am looking at one of these for astro on a tripod, however I would also use them for terrestrial on a tripod for general viewing here on the US east coast. I have read your review on the 12X50 (very well done), and leaning that way, but the extra 3X is luring.

Andy W.

What I was told is that Meopta has a new director of sales, and he would like to see Meoptas market share increase, hence the price decreases. I think it's a smart move.

This remark was referring to Meopta USA which is independent of Meopta in the Czech Republic and is therefore a 'sister company' not a 'daughter company'.

MeoStar is not being replaced by MeoPro but when MeoStar B2 is going to arrive is an open question.

Lee

When we visited Meopta in Prerov last year the head of product development told us that there were plans for new products but not in the immediate future. Production of the Meostars was in full swing at that time. I was quite impressed by the making of the Meorange body, what an incredible craftmanship and precision.
Gijs van Ginkel

David thanks, I was looking at the 15X56 and the 12X50 B1s, are some of these sold without HD and is there a profound difference, additionally I am looking at one of these for astro on a tripod, however I would also use them for terrestrial on a tripod for general viewing here on the US east coast. I have read your review on the 12X50 (very well done), and leaning that way, but the extra 3X is luring.

Andy W.

Andy,

I've only done a side by side comparison with both versions of the B1 10x42, and it was only for a few minutes on the Meopta stand at the UK Birdfair. To me the HD had obvious improvements in colour, CA and sharpness. However, I wouldn't claim the differences were large and may not be as obvious to others. I thought the sample of the 12x50 HD was better than the 10x42 HD by an even smaller margin. I would be surprised if the difference was visible in astro viewing. I wouldn't like to comment on the 15x56HD. I couldn't manage a steady enough hold, and Meopta's own tripod mounting bracket was incompatible with my 64mm IPD. I would need a cradle mount.

David

Last edited:
David,

Thanks for responding, esp. regarding the tripod issue. I have a UV 10X50 which I would also like to mount for long term astro, so now I have to research tripods for flexibility with various different glass.

Andy W.

Andy,

Should have mentioned that with the Meopa tripod bracket on the12x50 HD the minimum IPD was about 63mm.

David

David,

Thanks for responding, esp. regarding the tripod issue. I have a UV 10X50 which I would also like to mount for long term astro, so now I have to research tripods for flexibility with various different glass.

Andy W.

Andy:

I have some experience with binocular mounts, and the cradle mounts
are the best and much more solid compared to a single point mount.

Here are 2 that I really like, the Berlebach, and the Bogpod.

The Berlebach will handle anything both porro and roof prism types.

In the US, the Berlebach can be found most easily, at Mr. Starguy.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1087.JPG
    DSCN1087.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 139
Andy:

Jerry

I agree with what you wrote Jerry.
Inspired by the Berlebach mount, I recently made my own.

I added a relief for the nose to make it more universal and friendly.

I also went with shock cord instead of the single strap that these types of mount usually have. I did this for several reasons.
1. It's safer. The single strap, if it comes undone (admittedly not likely), your binoculars will go for a tumble.
2. My method puts no down pressure on the hinge therefore not affecting the IPD setting no matter how snug you want to go.

Arca Swiss compatible plate attached

Attachments

• Bino Mount 1.jpg
    Bino Mount 1.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Bino Mount 3.jpg
    Bino Mount 3.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Bino Mount 4.jpg
    Bino Mount 4.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Bino Mount 2.jpg
    Bino Mount 2.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 109
My understanding is that current Meopta designs do not utilize dielectric coatings on the prisms. I would expect this to change with the new models.

I agree with what you wrote Jerry.
Inspired by the Berlebach mount, I recently made my own.

I added a relief for the nose to make it more universal and friendly.

I also went with shock cord instead of the single strap that these types of mount usually have. I did this for several reasons.
1. It's safer. The single strap, if it comes undone (admittedly not likely), your binoculars will go for a tumble.
2. My method puts no down pressure on the hinge therefore not affecting the IPD setting no matter how snug you want to go.

Arca Swiss compatible plate attached

Very nice work. :t:

David

Mounts

Andy:

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the info on the mounts I will do some research, looks more solid as you said compared to that typical single small bolt mount, OK for light glass but not heavy ones. I have some older tripods from my surveying days, they will suit me fine in the back yard, but I am also looking for a light set up to go mobile with to the back country. I am going to take a while on what size glass I am going to buy later this year, I am beginning to really enjoy viewing the sky at night.

Kevin, very ingenious build, looks solid.

What glass do you have mounted on those tripods Jerry.

Kevin, what do you intend to mount on yours.

Regards,

Andy W.

"Kevin, what do you intend to mount on yours"

My new-to-me Leica 12x50 BNs
also
Minox 15x58 EDs on loan to me from my brother. Fantastic optic BTW

The mount will accommodate a lot of bins however, including my relatively diminutive Leica 8x32 BNs. I haven't tried yet, and I made a very robust mount already for it, but my Fujinon 16x70s might fit OK on it as well.

Those Fujis must be great for astro, let us know how the views are with the BN 12X50. I always tried to get a nice BA or BN, but was tentative of buying used ones, wish I bought one new when they first came out. Your 8X32s look brand new, nice solid 8X32 with great optics. I am a big fan of solid mechanical build in a bino, today only a few still make well built glass to last, off course with a higher price.

A.W.

Exactly. Meopta is making a move to get more of their excellent products into more hands. It's about time they did some self promoting.
Our pleasure to hook the members here up, please give us a call

The more their quality optics are out there, the more people like me (new to Meopta binoculars) will appreciate and buy them. Truly a solid product optically and ergonomically with great value.

Andy W.

Kevin:

Your mount looks very well done. The Berlebach will handle both porros and roofs, that is an
advantage. For around $50.00 it is affordable also.

As far as a tripod goes most any good one will do, I find the mount is more important than the tripod.

Andy, the porro is a Docter Nobilem 15x60 and the roof is a Nikon 16x56 Monarch 5.

These are both very good binoculars, and they are very similar optically. The extra 1X is noticeable
but not necessary.

My Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56 is another step up, and any of the Swaroviski 15x56 SLC models are better yet.
I owned the 15x56 SLC Neu for a while but sold it. I suppose the newer model is another step up yet.

Lots of choices out there, and using 2 eyes does have an advantage over a spotting scope, just easier
to get behind for longer periods.

Jerry

Jerry,

I used to own a Docter porro 10X50, seems like I do not hear anything about them these days, they built some great glass over the years, that Noblem 15X60 being one of them. I agree with the two eye view, and will take some time to choose something larger than my Leica 10X50s.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back