• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 vs 8.5x42 SV's (1 Viewer)

That Mojave must be a dandy, the mid and low tier stuff I've seen and owned didn't hold a candle to any of the SVs I owned. I haven't seen a Mojave though.

I own the 8x32 Mojave, but my dad liked it so much he took it to his home on the lake. Lots of birds there. I thought it was a notch below the 8x32 Euro HD I had.

Bob-

Eye relief is listed by Leupold as being 16mm. I have no problem at all seeing full FOV when wearing eye glasses.

SuperDuty-

The Mojave is not a SV, and would not expect it to perform that way. But it does remarkably well for what it is and what it costs. The sharpness; color; brightness; and low light capability are really, really good. I spoke with Ted (Theo98) on the phone about this very subject when discussing comparing our SV's ( when I owned mine) and our 8x32 Mojave. I think it was him that first brought up to me when discussing the 8x32 SV; and he mentioned- "You know what surprised me- how well that Leupold Mojave optically compares and holds its own to the SV". I told home that I thought the exact same thing when comparing them.

jgraider-

That Meopta 8x32 is a really nice binocular. I had a Cabelas Euro HD model that I bought when they were on sale and original intent and plan was to keep those if I liked them better than the Mojaves. I really like the ergos on that Meopta. I had them for 2 weeks and compared them in all sorts of conditions. What kept staring me in the face in testing my samples, was the fact that to my eyes the Mojave was sharper in resolution of details and was better in low light- especially the last bit of waning light. This happened time after time, and I could not deny it. Also I liked the color rendition of that Leupold Mojave when compared to the Meopta. The Meopta I found to be warmer in tone, and my eyes liked the more neutral color of the Leupold. The warmer tone of the Meopta may have had something to do with it's low light performance. But the sharpness and contrast was also better than the Meopta. So I kept the Mojave and returned to the store the Cabelas. Was a nice bonus that I only paid $195 for the Mojaves when Midway USA had them on sale; that was in contrast to the $599 sale price that Cabelas sold the 8x32 Meopta for.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back