• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Putative Heuglin's Gull at Chioggia, Venice, NE Italy (1 Viewer)

foxsparrow

Italian Birder
Saturday morning 20 march a "graellsii-type" gull was observed by me and Mike Resch from MA, Usa. However both of us agreed about the gull being not fitting the field characters of the Lesser-black backed Gulls that we observed either in Italy (me) or East Coast of Usa (Mike).
Indeed the bird had square head, heavy bill, long legs and wings and was about the same size of the nearest Yellow-legged Gulls (while the observed LBBGs are averaging 10% smaller than the latter species).
Unfortunately we were unable to take a picture of the gull when it was close, so we had to wait the arrival of our friends Selina and Matteo, with cameras and lens. In the meanwhile, the gull flew to land atop the roof of a large building, and Selina took a first picture. Suddenly a passing over raptor scared the flock of the gulls resting on the roof. Nevertheless, Matteo was able to take a shot of the disarranged flock. What a surprise, in the shot is visible another large dark "mystery" WH Gull. Finally we present another photo taken during the following afternoon by Matteo of a typical second winter LBBG from Gorino, Ferrara, the Po river Delta.
Pictures to be found here:
http://birdinggulls.do-talk.com/gul...s-gull-at-chioggia-venice-ne-italy-t57.htm#71

Hi there,

For my experience of the Siberian Gull (Oman, Ethiopia also one in Bulgaria) the face expression is the best field feature in adult breeding. On the 4th photo, we can see a big, agressive face with a large dull bill that match Siberian Gull indeed.

Probably not enough, however, to be accepted in Italy...

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back