• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

latouchei / Latoucheornis / latouchi / latouchii (1 Viewer)

Just here we can find him as English.

La Touche was an Englishman who spent some years in China and amassed a significant collection of Chinese birds, sufficiently large so that most of his careful descriptions are actually based on his own specimens. He was probably a member of the religious community since cites Père Courtois, the Curator of the Sikawei Museum (Shanghai) was a particular friend and he was also well acquainted with Wilder and Hubbard. He also eulogizes David and Swinehoe as the true pioneers of Chinese ornithology.

If he truely was married with a Caroline I doubt as long as I see no clear evidence.

Last edited:
If he truely was married with a Caroline I doubt as long as I see no clear evidence.
His paternal grand-father, and namesake, was married to an "Anne Caroline" according to his father's French marriage record.

The most significant evidence I find right now is that he called that bird "Mrs. La Touche's Shortwing" in his Handbook (vol. 1, p. 133). (The most parsimonious explanation to this is a dedication to his wife, even though, strictly speaking, other explanations might be possible. He presumably had a wife, as he had a daughter named Jeanne.)

Last edited:
His paternal grand-father, and namesake, was married to an "Anne Caroline" according to his father's French marriage record.

The most significant evidence I find right now is that he called that bird "Mrs. La Touche's Shortwing" in his Handbook (vol. 1, p. 133). (The most parsimonious explanation to this is a dedication to his wife, even though, strictly speaking, other explanations might be possible. He presumably had a wife, as he had a daughter named Jeanne.)

I have seen the Anne Caroline record as well and had the same intention about a mother to the daughter. But maybe I get an update on this topic soon from family members. I'll keep you updated if I get any news.

John David Digues La Touche

... John worked in China in the Imperial Chinese Customs Service and, on his retirement in 1925, returned to Ireland and bought a residence at Kiltimon, Co. Wicklow. [5] (With thanks to Vicky La Touche-Price). [from here]
He´s also mentioned on p.116 in Liu Chin Tai's Paper on Shanghai's Zikawei Museum (1868-1952): Jesuit Contributions to the Study of Natural History in China (here).

If of any use?

Björn

Just for all Anne Caroline La Touche is the mother and a sister of Charles John Digues La Touche (if Geni is correct).

Somehow I exclude my above Jeanne La Touche as here is witten:

IN MEMORIAM, MAY 14, 1886. In loving memory of JEANNE LA TOUCHE EARLE, wife of William Earle, M.D., Dublin.

I would be surprised if La Touche honored her so many years after her death.

So got the following information from a family member:

Jeanne died at school aged 14 , in 1921 . At a boarding school in Dublin, the result of the measles .

His wife Carolines maiden name was Focken. Her grandfather went from north Germany to Australia as a ship engineer and remained there. His son was a ship captain, sailing back and forth to China. Caroline was born in China. They married in 1896 . Caroline died 7th December 1945 in Ireland. She was in her late 70's .

Martin, I find this thread a bit hard to follow, twist and turns, various birds, starting with no species, then a Swan, suddenly a Warbler, then a White-eye, and a Shortwing (you don't make it easy for us ;)) ... but I guess your latest post refers back to the two OD's in your post #19.

Does this mean that you claim that the (Oriental) White-eye subspecies Zosterops palpebrosus joannae LA TOUCHE 1921, as "Zosterops auriventer johannæ", commemorates Jeanne La Touche, "who died at school aged 14, in 1921", daughter of (the, according to me; French-Irish ornithologist) John David Digues La Touche ... and that the (Lesser) Shortwing ssp. Brachypteryx leucophris carolinae LA TOUCHE 1898, as "Brachypteryx carolinæ", a k a Caroline's Shortwing or Caroline's Lesser Shortwing, commemorates his wife, Caroline, née Focken, who he´d married two years earlier ... (who died in 1945, in her late 70's) ... ?

Did I understand it all correct? Or?
--

Last edited:
Did I understand it all correct? Or?
--

All correct. And regarding another question raised by Laurent I got the answer:

His father, Charles Jean, used the name Digues de la Touche which was the original name in France. He became roman catholic and left Ireland and moved to Tours. His son and his family shortened the name to Digues La Touche, although like most of us, we go by just plain La Touche

Thanks Martin, for the confirmation of my attemted conclusions. :t:

Even if no full access found on internet; The genealogical guide (to notable families and their histories throughout the British Isles) Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland (1976),... might possibly give you even more info on "Caroline Focken Swatao China" (p.732).

/B

Thanks Martin, for the confirmation of my attemted conclusions. :t:

Even if no full access found on internet; The genealogical guide (to notable families and their histories throughout the British Isles) Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland (1976),... might possibly give you even more info on "Caroline Focken Swatao China" (p.732).

/B

Would be her

Caroline Amanda B Focken

But watch out! ;)

There´s at least 3 ladies by the name (Mrs, Miss & Miss) Focken, listed in The Chronicle & Directory for China, Corea, Japan, the Philippines, Cochin-China, Annam, Tonquin, Siam, Borneo, Straits Settlements, Malay states, &c. : (with which is incorporated The China directory) for the year 1892 (here).

And what about the second one allegedly for the daughter of Mr (Digues) La Touche:
• the invalid/debated/proposed Brachypteryx/Calliope joannae LA TOUCHE 1922, here, as ""Heteroxenicus joannæ" ... no dedication, nor any explanation [by most considered a synonym of today's Blackthroat Calliope obscura BERESOWSKI & BIANCHI 1891, I think!?].

A silent commemoration of a beloved daughter ... who´d just left him?

Well, I don't know.

It´s not listed in the Index for J. D. D. La Touche's, A Handbook of the Birds of Eastern China, vol. 1, (1925-1930), however the "Zosterops joannæ (or Zosterops palpebrosa joannæ)" is mentioned (in text) on p.460. (link in post #8)

However, that´s it. No more of La Touche's birds, at least not on my part ... I´m off to other names, other etymologies (when time allows) ...

Björn
--

Last edited:
As the link in my post did not work I created a pdf.

Attachments

• Record Transcription_ British Armed Forces And Overseas Banns And Marriages _ findmypast.ie.pdf
    102.6 KB · Views: 17
Quick return ...

Well found, Martin, even if I wouldn´t be surprised if that "B.", in "Caroline Amanda B Focken", simply means "Born" ...

However; don´t forget the daughter/bird; in the (Red-tailed) Minla subspecies "Minla ignotincta mariæ" LA TOUCHE 1921 (same Paper as joannæ, link in post #19); "Named for my daughter Mary."

The plot thickens!

In my mind, it ought to be possible to find them all. Who knows?

Good luck!

/B
--

Last edited:
There was also an 'Elizabeth'.
(Serilophus lunatus elisabethae La Touche 1921 [here], "Named after my daughter Elizabeth."; and probably also Suthora alphonsiana elisabethae La Touche 1922 [here], no dedication.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back