• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics Ranger SRT vs Nikon Monarch? (1 Viewer)

I would like to hear about this comparison as well. The EO Platinum Class bins were always very highly regarded in terms of quality versus price. Their newest version should definitely be something to try. I have not yet heard much about them but if they get some favorable reviews I would be willing to check a pair out.

FrankD said:
I would like to hear about this comparison as well. The EO Platinum Class bins were always very highly regarded in terms of quality versus price. Their newest version should definitely be something to try. I have not yet heard much about them but if they get some favorable reviews I would be willing to check a pair out.

It’s unfortunate no one has replied to your thread. I’ve been following it as well, since I was looking to possibly purchase these. During our local monthly Audubon walks, it seems everyone either has a Swarovski, or an Eagle Optics Platinum Ranger.

From what I see, the SRT seems to have replaced the Platinum Ranger. They are about $75 cheaper, but I’ve seen some websites comment that they are “upgrades” from the Platinum Rangers. I’ve handled the Platinum Rangers – they have a very solid, rugged feel to them and are impressive, especially their close focus, but I’ve no experience at all with the SRT’s. Here’s hoping someone compares them to similarly priced binoculars – e.g. Monarchs, etc. that get many more comments and reviews here and to the Platinum Rangers. Anyone?

Hmm, I would at least have liked to have seen some comments from some of the Eagle Optics staffers that frequent the forum. Maybe they just have not yet noticed this thread.

Hi...I just purchased a pair of 6x32 Eagle optics SRT..WOW ...Iam amazed at the quality for only $269 USD. Does anyone know who makes these for Eagle Optics?

EO have declined to reveal the manufacturers of their bins, both here and in private communications. But if the SRTs are significanly cheaper than the equivalent sized Ranger Platinum Class, then it's a good bet they're made in China rather than in Japan.

I have the Eagle 6 x 32 Ranger Platinum binoculars. I bought them for about $350.00 2 or 3 years ago and returned a slip to Eagle and got a $100.00 rebate on them which I used to purchase their 10 x 32 Ranger Platinums. I got 2 binoculars for $600.00, a nice bargain! The 6 x 32's are outstanding! They are very bright and sharp with a very large "sweet spot;" a 420'FOV, almost no CA and minimal edge distortion and a close focus of about 4 feet! If the new model is this good, it is indeed a bargain! The 10 x 32's are quite pedestrian. They are adequate binoculars and worth the money I paid for them but nothing to brag about. My Nikon 10 x 42 SE's blow them out of the water, but then they will blow just about any 10x in the world out of the water, so it's not a fair test for a run of the mill roof prism.

I think the Platinums were made in Japan.

Bob

Addendum: Yes indeed! I checked out my Ranger Platinums and they are stamped "made in Japan" on the housing under the focus wheel.

Last edited:
Curtis Croulet said:
EO have declined to reveal the manufacturers of their bins, both here and in private communications. But if the SRTs are significanly cheaper than the equivalent sized Ranger Platinum Class, then it's a good bet they're made in China rather than in Japan.

The Nikon Monarchs and the Ranger SRTs are both made in China.

Jason Sailing,
Eagle Optics

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back