• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 Ultravid vs 8x32 Trinovid - Differences (1 Viewer)

Marley

Hi all,

I don't want to beat a dead horse as I know that this has been discussed on other threads, but I am having trouble deciding between the Leica 8x32 offerings. I am going to buy a pair and I just need to decide if the extra $450 for the Ultravid is really worth paying. I already have a pair of 7x42 Ultravids, so I understand the basic design of the Ultravid line and I have owned Trinovids in the past, so I have some idea of the attributes of those bins as well.

From all that I have read, the differences in the two 8x32s are:

Objective covers/good neck strap/better case with the Ultravid
Brighter view with the Ultravid
Lighter weight/slimmer design with the Ultravid

I am most particular regarding sharpness of view. The higher the resolution capability, the better. Can it be said that the resolution and edge sharpness don't suffer between the two models? I think that I can live with the lack of objective covers, a poorer choice of accessories and a slight reduction in brightness but I would opt to spend the extra money if the sharpness (not brightness) was compromised.

Any input from 8x32 owners that have compared the two would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Steffan

Choice

Quite easy if you've owned a pair of 8 x 32 BN Trinovids. Don't worry too much about the new OG covers on the Ultravids, you'll be looking for or replacing them in six months as will the rainguard - they may well fall apart......no such problems with the Trinovid.

The difference in optical quality, to my eyes, is absolutely marginal and I have seen severe "flaring" in a pair of 8/32 Ultravids that I tried....this was a rogue pair I believe. The build quality of the Trinovids was always reliable and there are many pairs still out there being used on a daily basis.

Its really down to you to pop along to your optics dealer and try them out side by side. With the dollars you could save you may be able to afford a pair of compacts as well. Good luck

My wife has a pair of 8x32 BN-my old pair. I recently replaced my 7x42 Ultravids for 8x32 Ultravids as my main bins.

Pyrtle's comment are spot on. The objective covers on all Ultravids are in my opinion worthless. They will break within 6 months and you won't miss them.

The Ultravids are lighter. Optics are VERY close between the Ultravids and the BN's which is to say are excellent. I am not the best judge because the optics of pretty much all bins at that price range are so good I can't tell the difference. I have not really seen the flaring problem in the Ultravids. Maybe others will comment. The BN's are built.

It is a question of price, weight and ergonomics so try them out.

I think you have just answered your own question.

Objective covers/good neck strap/better case with the Ultravid
Brighter view with the Ultravid
Lighter weight/slimmer design with the Ultravid

What else are you looking for ?

I suppose the best thing would be to find a shop that sells both and go and spend some time there checking them out.

I guess what I really wanted to know is if there was any discernable difference in optical clarity, as I noted above.

Last edited:
Micheal,

Can you please comment on your impression of the 8x32 Ultravid vs the 7x42 Ultravid now that you have made the switch?

I too am looking at making the same change and I wondered if you miss the 7x42s or if the 8x32s have successfully taken their place?

Thanks again,

Steffan

Marley said:
Micheal,

Can you please comment on your impression of the 8x32 Ultravid vs the 7x42 Ultravid now that you have made the switch?

I too am looking at making the same change and I wondered if you miss the 7x42s or if the 8x32s have successfully taken their place?

Thanks again,

Steffan

I changed only because of some degenerative vertebrae in my neck and upper spine. The Ultravid 7x42 are the brightest, easiest to hold and look through bins I have ever owned. If you like the magnification you will like the Ultravids 7x42. The difference between the 7 and 8 power is personal choice- I am not sure it will make a big difference in IDing birds. Repeating myself, the 7x42 are just very easy to bird with. The advantage of the 8x32 is for me only their weight. They weigh about 18oz(my guess) and with a shoulder harness I can seem to handle the combination. I DO MISS THE 7X42 VERY MUCH.

I also own an old pair of 7x42 SLC's for Astronomy. I did use them once and optically they are real good but they are very heavy. I will probably donate them to Birders Exchange if they don't get more use.

Mike

Thanks to all for the help.

I decided to give the 8x32 Ultravids a shot. I have tried the 8x32 Trinovids a few years ago and found them to be excellent save for the eye cups, which if memory serves, only had one position (all the way in or all the way out). I like the Ultravids 3-4 positions for dialing in the correct distance from the eye (helps with blackouts).

I also purchased them from Eagle Optics to enable me to return them if for some reason they don't seem to work for me (30 day money-back guarantee).

I have high hopes and if all works out, I may switch from the 7x42 to the 8x32 format.

I will update this post once they arrive and I have a chance to evaluate them (1 week).

Best regards,

Steffan

I had the 8x32 BN (Trinovid) and currently have the 8x32 BR (Ultravid).

Indeed, the BR is slimmer, trimmer, lighter and brighter.

I like the fact the BR has screw-in eyecups rather than push-down.

The first generation of BR objective covers sucked but the new generation are excellent (they're drop-down tether types like the Swarovski). The BN never had objective covers and nothing aftermarket fit well... that was a huge negative to me. The BR's ocular (eyepiece) cover really does stink so I replaced it with a BN cover which is much better. The BR's neck strap is vastly superior to the BN's.

All in all I like everything about the BR better (except its price).

Now that I have had the 8x32 Ultravids for ~1 week now, I can report the following opinions:

1) BradMT is correct in stating that the 8x32 Ultravids (BRs) are slimmer, trimmer, lighter and brighter that the 8x32 Trinovids (BNs). They are ~4" wide by ~4" long and are as small as I would want to go in any binocular. That being said, they fit nicely in my hands. I would even go as far as saying that the thickness of the BNs might fill the hand a bit better, but the difference is very small.
2) The BR resolution and edge sharpness is on par with that of the BNs. If resolution and sharpness are your #1 goals, either model will stack up with the best the industry has to offer.
3) The new BR rain guard and objective covers are quite good, with very pliable rubber and teather system much like that of Swarovski. The case (padded Cordura) and neck strap (wide neoprene) are quite nice as well.
4) The 3-positon eye cup does help with blackouts, but they still occur when bin-to-eye socket placement is not exact. They are nicer than the one-step (in or out) version on the BNs.
5) Chromatic aberration appears to be on par with other BN/BR offerings, but it is hard for me to comment as I am not particularly sensitive to this issue.

So are the BRs worth the extra $450 over the BNs? For me, I would have to say that they are. The lighter weight and brighter view are noticeable. The increased quality in accessories is nice as well. On the other hand, if you are relatively careful with your binoculars (ie don't need objective covers or a padded case), you should consider a pair of BNs while they are still available. I don't think there is a better deal in 8x32s out there.

After all of that, I do find myself wandering back to the Swaro display at the local retailer to look at the 8x32 ELs. Several forum members have noted that they might not be quite as sharp as they could be, but that the ergonomics, build quality and customer service can't be ignored. I have to agree that they really feel great in the hand and I have zero issues with blackouts. They start to rival my 7x42 Ultravids with their ease of use/viewing characteristics. I just wish they were a touch sharper.

So the collection has expanded a bit. I now am fortunate enough to own both the 7x42 and 8x32 Ultravids. The 7x42 is much more comfortable to use, with guaranteed easy viewing every time you raise them to your eyes. No blackouts, no specific holding technique to get the best performance. Just look and be amazed. If the house was on fire and I could only take one pair, these would be the ones I would take.

For ease of packing, light weight and an extra bit of magnification (to my eye, the 7x-8x increase really seems to make a difference), I will likely opt for the 8x32s.

Thanks to all for your guidance regarding my BR/BN questions. This is truely a great forum!

Regards,

Steffan

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back