• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (27 Viewers)

Just back from the Mecca.
I intended to spread myself equally between the Moors and flashes today. The Fatal mistake of going to the Flashes 1st saw me spend nearly 6 hours there and only allowed me 15 minutes at the Moors before my permit ran out8-P.
It certainly was a worth while session at the Flashes though.
8 species of waders appeared and I had 3 year ticks.
The force 3ish southerly wind made it feel un-spring like, however there was a bit of 'Vis Mig' going on.
An adult Ringed plover accompanied the 2 LRP's, 2 redshanks appeared at different times and later joined up as a 'couple'. The 5 Avocets looked a little more settled than any of the previous groups. Both Oystercatcher and Lapwings mated, the latter species totalling 18 birds, although still a bit early this would represent the highest breeding numbers for many years. Amongst the flock is a pale, not quite leucistic female. A couple of snipe and 9 curlew were the remaining wader species.
In front of the hide Linnets , pied wagtails, goldfinch dropped onto the short grassy areas to feed. A 'darkish legged' pipit momentarily appeared but was soon lost when a pied wagtail chased it, 2 other pipits also showed on the 'grassy knoll' but they were both meadows. A case of the one that got away.
More linnets moved through with at least 10 seen in one flock. A flock of c30 thrushes and 60 starlings moved through.
Also recorded today were: Teal 32, mallard c30, BHG 40, herring gull, coot 10, Buzzard, green woodpecker, stock dove 2, wood pigeon 60,

The brief visit to the Moors revealed
GCG 4, little grebe 3, cormorant 6, Shoveler 6 (4 males), teal 12, gadwall 4 (2 prs), shelduck pr, pochard 4 (2 prs), tufted 50+, Oystercatcher 4 (2 prs), lapwing 3 (2 males), snipe 4, BHG 160, Herring gull c5,
B :)John

What does the secret Hen Pool Hide plan consist of?
can't tell you, otherwise it wouldn't be a secret8-P

Only Joking Daniel...Its no secret, we are toying with creating a few more channels in the reeds. These will be positioned so they can be seen from the hide. This will also provide more reed warbler territories by creating physical borders for the birds to defend.

Last edited:
This diagram might make a bit more sense, re the hen pool channels. The 2 channels in front already exist, the 2 going off at an angle will be new ones.:t:

Attachments

• channels in front of hen pool hide(2).jpg
    channels in front of hen pool hide(2).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 84
Thanks Rolf "Can you tell what it is yet?" Belsey!

Yes, this is what John and I have discussed, Daniel. Typically, the Sedge Warblers will arrive first but they will get ousted to the rank vegetation on the fringes of the reed beds by the later-arriving Reed Warblers (a mutual friend of ours - Fergus Henderson wrote a paper on this behaviour). The cut channels are an attempt (by us) to allow more separate Reed Warbler territories in the immediate vicinity of the hide.

Last edited:
Thanks Rolf "Can you tell what it is yet?" Belsey!

Yes, this is what John and I have discussed, Daniel. Typically, the Sedge Warblers will arrive first but they will get ousted to the rank vegetation on the fringes of the reed beds by the later-arriving Reed Warblers (a mutual friend of ours - Fergus Henderson wrote a paper on this behaviour). The cut channels are an attempt (by us) to allow more separate Reed Warbler territories in the immediate vicinity of the hide.

and to see and photograph the birds in there;)

Alright, let me know when you want to work on it. Am interested to participate!
... and thanks!
Thanks for that Daniel. the work will be done in a couple of hours so we wont need a formal work party. However the reed bed in the Education reserve will need a lot more work. If we can't get it done on a Tuesday, we will do it on a Sunday..I will post the date if we need to.B :)John

can't tell you, otherwise it wouldn't be a secret8-P

Only Joking Daniel...Its no secret, we are toying with creating a few more channels in the reeds. These will be positioned so they can be seen from the hide. This will also provide more reed warbler territories by creating physical borders for the birds to defend.

John. Is the idea to produce permanent channels? In the past any channels that have been strimmed in front of the hide have soon regrown with phragmites. Are you going to dig the phraggy out?

Des.

John. Is the idea to produce permanent channels? In the past any channels that have been strimmed in front of the hide have soon regrown with phragmites. Are you going to dig the phraggy out?

Des.
No Des, just a late cut below the water. The channels in front were cut with shears 2 or 3 times a year.

:t:John

Live from the Flashes this morning, 4 Avocet, 1 LRP flew north 8.30am, 2 Oystercatcher, singing Chiff Chaff. Peregrine through. Mistle Thrush singing. 1 Shelduck. 6 Curlew.

Last edited:
Live from the Flashes this morning, 4 Avocet, 1 LRP flew north 8.30am, 2 Oystercatcher, singing Chiff Chaff. Peregrine through. Mistle Thrush singing. 1 Shelduck. 6 Curlew.
Gert, Any live commentary from the Moors;)
Have the redshank gone..they weren't there first thing yesterday, thus they were either on the 3rd Flash or genuine passage migrants.B :)John

Thanks for that Daniel. the work will be done in a couple of hours so we wont need a formal work party. However the reed bed in the Education reserve will need a lot more work. If we can't get it done on a Tuesday, we will do it on a Sunday..I will post the date if we need to.B :)John

We will get it done on Tuesday I am on holiday this week so have all the time in the worldB :)

There is definitely an increase in Mistle thrush and green woodpeckers on and around the reserve this year. To think last years May 'all-dayer' we didn't have either species.B :)John

There is definitely an increase in Mistle thrush and green woodpeckers on and around the reserve this year. To think last years May 'all-dayer' we didn't have either species.B :)John

Yaffles are one of the species that the BTO are predicting could see a huge increase in numbers due to climate change, I must admit I have seen/heard an increasing number in recent years.

Highlight of the morning - a Meadow Pipit on the deck in front of the flashes hide!

Here's a photo of said Pipit! And a distant shot of the LRP which departed at about 8.30am this morning, hopefully to return with mates..:t:

Attachments

• MPipit17.3.jpg
    MPipit17.3.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 101
  • LRP17.3.jpg
    LRP17.3.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 83

Users who are viewing this thread

Back