• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (14 Viewers)

Would the silt not contain a reasonable amount of organic material that would be useful to whatever organisms spp like Avocets feed on? Can a sample(s) not be analysed to ascertain whether it is a good idea to retain rather than remove all or a % of this material?

Just a couple of thoughts, i'm not a biologist......

Laurie:t:

Hi Laurie as you know when you are managing a woodland, you only coppice/pollard sections of it at a time.
There are instances where a short term loss is a long term gain. We dig out areas that are prone to rapidly drying out. These areas will then help provide food throughout the summer as opposed to a few weeks during the late spring. Its all about balance, we monitor the prime feeding areas all the time, which helps us to decide which areas need 'tweaking' . These shallow 'ditches' silt up rapidly so the process is repeated every 2 to 3 years, almost on a par with a three year reed bed rotational scheme. Within a year, the newly dug/re-profiled areas do provide an abundant food supply (I have all the data to prove it). Due to the shallowness of the 'lagoons' the evaporation process is rapid.
For example:Since Sunday we have lowered the level by 2cm and yesterday's warm spell caused previously muddy areas to crack and dry out, exacerbated by the salt content. In the right condition this unique combination of salt and shallow lagoons creates a plethora of food for waders. However it doesn't take much for this balance to be overturned, and the consequence's are devastating. whereby the whole food chain is lost. Last years drought was unpreventable and saw the whole of the prime wader feeding habitat destroyed, the effects of which are still being felt nearly a year on.

On a smaller scale, this is what happens to the individual feeding zones that are scattered around the '2nd Flash'. We therefore have a mosaic of deep and shallow ditches, pools and scrapes, that come into their own at varying water levels - the control of which is imperative to the success or failure of the invertebrate population. If we did not re-profile or de-silt these areas, then we would have only one level of mud. Once the optimum water level had been reached, we would be totally reliant on rain fall thereafter, which is a bit hit and miss and could render wader activity a failure or success, in other words in the 'lap of the gods'. To us this is a risk that can be avoided (by doing what we do), this also includes water level manipulation, that can only be let out, I rest my case me lord8-P
B :)John

Last edited:
A few notes from yesterday.
The male Pied wagtail from the ground nesting pair in front of the main hide was a chick yesterday. A cuckoo was calling from the education reserve, there seems to be a heavy presence this year , which might be as a result of my perceived increase in reed warblers around the reserve.

As i said, i'm not a biologist, thanks for taking the time and trouble to explain the regime that is used at UW - the analogy with 'coppice with standards' woodland management is a good one, bearing in mind that CWS, althought widespread in the UK is only one form of woodland 'management'.

Wonder whether the wind will veer or back today?;)

Caught up with the Wednesday Crew today (as well as Peter and Andy P) with lovely if still seasonally cool weather.
Highlights were two female Cuckoos (possibly the same bird, of course) two Jays and the two Oystercatcher chicks that are growing like billyo!
Here are a couple of shots...
A view up the vent of a Chiffchaff!
A Chimney Sweeper moth... it's funny that once noticed they're all over the place, especially in long grass.
Categorical proof the the Sand Martin box is being used (albeit by the wrong species).
All aboard the GCG!
A Cardinal Beetle.

Attachments

• CC.jpg
    CC.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Chimney Sweeper.jpg
    Chimney Sweeper.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 90
  • SMBox.jpg
    SMBox.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 111
  • GCG+.jpg
    GCG+.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Cardinal Beetle.jpg
    Cardinal Beetle.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 89
As i said, i'm not a biologist, thanks for taking the time and trouble to explain the regime that is used at UW - the analogy with 'coppice with standards' woodland management is a good one, bearing in mind that CWS, althought widespread in the UK is only one form of woodland 'management'.

Wonder whether the wind will veer or back today?;)

I think it will stay the same 8-P I do now use your terms in the correct sense :t:

A few notes from yesterday.
The male Pied wagtail from the ground nesting pair in front of the main hide was a chick yesterday.

Hi John - didnt quite understand your sighting from yesterday (unless we have some sort of regressing time machine at UW ;)) Did you mean to say something like "was accompanied by a"

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Green Sand-------------------Curlew
Avocet (8 Ad+9imm)---------Shelduck (2)
Shoveler (2m+1f)------------Common Tern (2)
L R P (4)----------------------Tufted Duck (15)
Peregrine---------------------Oystercatcher (1)

MOORS:
Kingfisher--------------------Oystercatcher (3Ad + 2imm)
Kestrel-----------------------Common Tern (2)
Whitethroat (2)--------------G C Grebe(4)

SAILING POOL:
G C Grebe (9)---------------Whitethroat

OF INTEREST:
Four-Spotted Chaser at the northern end of the N Moors. Only the fourth record for the reserve.

Des.

Attachments

• 4-spotted Chaser.JPG
    4-spotted Chaser.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 84
oops8-P
meant to say was feeding a chick. soz:t:

No worries mate. Whilst we regularly see youngsters during the summer at the Flashes and Moors (also the pony paddock by Lifestyles is a good spot), to know they have actually bred within the reserve boundaries is always a bonus.

Insects

Just a few shots taken around the reserve over the last 3-4 days. I hope i have identified them all correctly.

1 - Common Carder Bee
2 - Crab Spider eating a Bee
3 - Wasp Beetle
4 - Female Wolf Spider with egg sack
5 - Some sort of Shield Bug

If anyone can identify the Shield Bug or can correct me if i haven't named the others correctly please let me know.

Many thanks

Simon P :t:

Attachments

• Common-Cardr-Bee-1.jpg
    Common-Cardr-Bee-1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Crab-Spider-eating-a-Bee.jpg
    Crab-Spider-eating-a-Bee.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Wasp-Beetle-1.jpg
    Wasp-Beetle-1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Wolf-Spider-Female-.jpg
    Wolf-Spider-Female-.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Unknown-Shield-Bug.jpg
    Unknown-Shield-Bug.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 78
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Green Sand-------------------Curlew
Avocet (8 Ad+9imm)---------Shelduck (2)
Shoveler (2m+1f)------------Common Tern (2)
L R P (4)----------------------Tufted Duck (15)
Peregrine---------------------Oystercatcher (1)

MOORS:
Kingfisher--------------------Oystercatcher (3Ad + 2imm)
Kestrel-----------------------Common Tern (2)
Whitethroat (2)--------------G C Grebe(4)

SAILING POOL:
G C Grebe (9)---------------Whitethroat

OF INTEREST:
Four-Spotted Chaser at the northern end of the N Moors. Only the fourth record for the reserve.

Des.
To add to Des's list of yesterday there were was a Lesser Whitethroat carrying food to the nest at the back of the sailing lake: 2 male Whitethroats singing Sailing Centre Car Park and 1 singing North Moors. Numbers of Sedge Warbler seem down? Only heard one on North Moors.
Eight species of Butterfly included Large Skipper, Common Blue, and Small Copper. Visible moths included 12 Cinnabar (black and red), several Silver-ground Carpets (large silvery white), 2 Chimney Sweeper (black with white edging) and around the nettles hosts of the little vulcan bomber shaped micro Nettle Tap. Also seven species of Dragonfly.
John

Just a few shots taken around the reserve over the last 3-4 days. I hope i have identified them all correctly.

1 - Common Carder Bee
3 - Wasp Beetle

If anyone can identify the Shield Bug or can correct me if i haven't named the others correctly please let me know.

Many thanks

Some good macro work going on there mate. Especially the Crab Spider! 8-P

Numbers of Sedge Warbler seem down? Only heard one on North Moors.
John
Hi John
There are definitely less sedge warblers around. I know a lot of warblers go quiet at this time of year and the inclement weather has certainly curtailed singing throughout this spring. However, several of last years breeding territories are unoccupied this year and I'm sure other reserves will have had declines also. During their peak migration in early April the weather on route was treacherous, and could have killed many birds or forced them to find new areas further south.
I wil check out the BTO for updates. Conversely reed warblers have definitely increased.
B :)John

1 - Common Carder Bee
3 - Wasp Beetle

Many thanks

Great shots Simon, The link below is brilliant for ID problems. If you put it on there it will be sorted within a few hours.:t:
http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=342

To add to Des's list of yesterday there were was a Lesser Whitethroat carrying food to the nest at the back of the sailing lake: 2 male Whitethroats singing Sailing Centre Car Park and 1 singing North Moors. Numbers of Sedge Warbler seem down? Only heard one on North Moors.
Eight species of Butterfly included Large Skipper, Common Blue, and Small Copper. Visible moths included 12 Cinnabar (black and red), several Silver-ground Carpets (large silvery white), 2 Chimney Sweeper (black with white edging) and around the nettles hosts of the little vulcan bomber shaped micro Nettle Tap. Also seven species of Dragonfly.
John

Enjoyed my first look at the book John, many thanks. On the subject of moths I had Common Carpet in the Eddy on Sunday too

A very eventful afternoon at the flashes.
The green sandpiper had found a mate but moments later the peregrine targeted the sandpipers and a avocet chick. Fortunately no one was harmed
but due to the attack and torrential rain, the two sandpipers vanished.

Whether they will be back I'm not sure.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back