• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photographing Bee Eaters (1 Viewer)

Debakey

I currently live in Cyprus and there are loads of Bee Eaters here at the moment. They don't seem to stay still for long and I was wondering if any body had any advice on how best to capture them?

I use a Nikon D200, with either a Sigma 50-500 or A Nikon 70-200 VR with or without 1.7TC.

I have taken one shot - and if it is ok to link it is here:
http://www.ephotozine.com/u39322/gallery/878250

It is a heavy crop and there isn't much detail in the shadows/face. Ideally I would like it on a perch of some sort, about 2 foot infront of my and staying still......but until I find a good taxidermist, I will struggle on.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Kind Regards,
Kevin

Last edited:
A good question Kevin, one that applies to most bird photography. To get good pics I believe you need to be within a few metres of a bird that’s not unduly unsettled by your presence. Not easy! Patience is the key, get yourself settled in the right spot and be prepared for a long wait (with perhaps no results).
If you can park close enough the car makes an excellent hide. Window clamp and a remote release will minimise your movement. The birds take time to get used to you being there, I reckon at least a half hour.

With the current drought in Cyprus anywhere with a permanent water supply will attract birds especially as the summer progresses. Irrigation pipes and cisterns are good places to look.

Birds on wires roadside wires sometimes allow a reasonably close approach.

Do you know of any bee-hives? These will attract Bee-eaters but being Cyprus the owners may want a pop at the birds even if they are aware of the Spring hunting ban.

At the nest where birds are more predictable but be careful not to affect their welfare, I don’t think many pairs nest in Cyprus though (your birds are presumably migrants?)

Stalking – mixed success with this, I sometimes gets fairly close but mostly barely get started before the bird takes off. Take the tiniest, slowest footsteps you can - pause frequently, don’t make any sudden movements, keep the camera at eye level and try and keep down. I once got to within ten metres of a dozen Squacco Heron by inching along on my backside.

Luck – being in the right place at the right time!

Digiscoping – High magnification photography, the results are often excellent but won’t match a top notch SLR picture.

Don’t forget shade and water!

Hope you get some good pix

Hi Kevin

I was out today and heard some bee-eaters not far off so I sat near some trees where I'd seen them a couple of times previously and sure enough they flew over and landed. I should have tried to get closer before picking my spot but it does seem, at least here, they have their favourite perches so maybe that technique would work for you. I've attached the pictures here, not the greatest I admit - but not the worst I've taken of them in flight either (I'm still in the early learning stages).

Canon 400D - 70-300mm lens.

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• bee-eaters1.jpg
    bee-eaters1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 151
  • bee-eaters.jpg
    bee-eaters.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 163
I currently live in Cyprus and there are loads of Bee Eaters here at the moment. They don't seem to stay still for long and I was wondering if any body had any advice on how best to capture them?

I use a Nikon D200, with either a Sigma 50-500 or A Nikon 70-200 VR with or without 1.7TC.

I have taken one shot - and if it is ok to link it is here:
http://www.ephotozine.com/u39322/gallery/878250

It is a heavy crop and there isn't much detail in the shadows/face. Ideally I would like it on a perch of some sort, about 2 foot infront of my and staying still......but until I find a good taxidermist, I will struggle on.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Kind Regards,
Kevin

Hello Kevin,
In these days I'm out - whenever free - to photograph at my local bee-eaters' colony. If your birds are nesting, much the better: it's a more convenient situation, just take care not to disturb their activities.
I've set up my dome hide between some thick and tall bushes in a grass field at 30-40m away from and above the river's sandy cliff they're nesting in and placed a few suitable perches pitched in the ground at 5m away from the hide. Just give them time to get used to the perches and they will surely use them (in my case the following day).
In this way I can approach unseen, enter the hide and wait.
I've found that the warmest hours are more suitable, because birds tend to perch more easily, when sunset comes they never stop by ... if it's (very) windy, they will surely glide and hover above the nests; just be careful to place your hide with the sun on your back.
If you're lucky enough, they will surely come closer and even perch for a few seconds - just get ready :t:

Good luck,

Max

PS This shot was taken during my earlier sessions with a 300mm lens - now I've stepped back the hide a couple of metres to make them feel more at ease - I'll be using my 400mm to compensate for the increased distance ...
Last thing: I've found them hard to expose correctly, with hard shadows and shining lights on their plumage ... now I tend to overexpose a bit (without burning whites) and correct the RAW later in PP

Attachments

• Bee-Eater05.jpg
    Bee-Eater05.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 167
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back