• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to it (1 Viewer)

Hello folks. Over the last 2 years my health has declined and from being an active tradesman I've gone to to being pretty much housebound now.

My garden has become a source of pleasure and the visiting birds as well. I've never been a bird watcher and am pretty much a novice but learning quickly. I live in a housing estate, but only half a mile from farmland.
I've filled the garden with different feeders and different feeds and am pleased to say that a growing variety of birds are showing up.

Today I saw one that I didn't recognise and cannot find in the books. It was the size of a starling but brown with a white throat. Is this a juvenile starling? I can't find a picture of one that matches.

Cheers, Graham

Last edited:
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hopefully, someone from your side of the pond will have some suggestions for you ;)

Hi Graham and a warm welcome from me too.

Young Starlings do have a small whitish patch under their bill, so it could well be one. You can see more pictures of them on out Opus article here. And if you scroll to the bottom of that article, you will see a link to look at more images in the Gallery.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

The forum is based in the UK but there are members from all over the world.

Hi Delia, thanks for the links. I reckon juvenile Starling but only 80% convinced. Can you think of anything else it might have been so I look up pictures? I did take some but they're on the camera and I've lost the USB lead, so until I find it can't upload them. They're fuzzy anyway.

Hi again Graham. I'm afraid 'brown with a white throat' isn't quite enough for me to go on.

What was it's bill like (colour, size, thick, thin). Colour of legs. What sort of brown? (chocolate, chestnut, greyish), spotted or plain. Did it walk/run or hop?

Actually I can't really think of anything else, but Starling LOL, apart from Blackbird, but they look like a bit like the females.

Thinking, does your computer not have a card slot? It's surprising what the guys in the ID forum can interpret from the poorest of images LOL.

You asked where we're based... the Admin office is in England, but as KC said, we have members and Moderators in different parts of the world.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back