• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

strange bird in Romania (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

I saw the attached bird and thought it to be a strange bird.
Please can anyone advise what it might be. Is it an abberant bird or something please?

Attachments

• starling.jpg
    starling.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 326
Definately a wheatear. Comparatively short wings and rather plain wing coverts let me think Isabelline. But not the best photo to be sure...

Thanks everyone. I wish it were a Isabelline Wheatear, which would be a lifer, and I appreciate the advice in that regard. However on that photo I don't think I can safely bag it.

Scaly upperparts make it a juvenile; I'd say by far most likely Northern Wheatear (common breeder in Romania) rather than Isabelline (rare in Romania, restricted to a few Black Sea coastal sites).

Scaly upperparts make it a juvenile; I'd say by far most likely Northern Wheatear (common breeder in Romania) rather than Isabelline (rare in Romania, restricted to a few Black Sea coastal sites).

isabelline is not at all a rare breeder, almost everywhere in dobrudja and some even have crossed the danube to romanian plains.

EBEW isn't really breeding in romania. a few males enter the 'colonies' of pied wheatears and produce hybrids but otherwise no confirmed breeding. this one looks like an isabelline ot me but can't exclude a northern.

The dark throat looks like shadow playing tricks, if that's the case then Isabeline looks a better fit. Hard to be certain with this pic though.

Last edited:
Yes I'm also not seeing a dark throat; however i'm not seeing NW or IW, I think it's one of the Pied/EBEW species pair. Though I wouldn't stake my life on it!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back