• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid Level 8x32 Roof or Entry Level 8x42 Roof as Primary Birding Bino? (1 Viewer)

poverty wagon

Hello,
First time posting although I’ve been a troll here for almost a year. I find the information here very valuable and somewhat addictive for someone who likes to shop for and buy new equipment.

On to my question. Can a mid priced 8x32 roof replace an entry level priced 8x42 roof for general birding? Specifically, is the Leupold Mojave 8x32 or Nikon M7 8x30 equal to or better than a Vanguard Endevor 8x42 as a primary glass?

Background:
My wife and I just started birding this last summer and we’ve really been enjoying it. We currently have three sets of binos: Vortex Diamondback 8x32 (impulse buy, demoted to back up), Zen Ray ZRS 8x42 (wife’s primary) and Vanguard Endevor ED 8x42 (my primary). Being the equipment obsessed geek of the family, I’m always looking for something better out there that I would be happier with. I am not (yet) at the point of investing in alpha level optics, but if I sell one of our current binos and add some cash, I could upgrade to something in the $300 to $400 range. My current thoughts are to sell the Diamondbacks, buy the Mojave or M7 as my primary, and demote the Endevor to back up/low light use. My wife is quite happy with her Zen Ray’s so no change there.

What I’ve discovered about myself and binos:
• I like a closed bridge more than an open bridge. The Vanguards are nice optically, especially considering the closeout pricing on Amazon. But when I grip it, there isn’t enough space between the barrels to comfortably wrap my fingers.
• I like a short, compact roofs. This sounds silly, but more compact binos look a little less “over the top” when at non birding events like sporting events or concerts.
• I really like the form factor of the 8x32 diamondbacks. Big enough for a full grip and decent size exit pupil, but small enough to be convenient for travel and easier to carry. They are a very good bino for the price, but I would like something a little more refined optically.
• I would like a flatter field. The pincushion in the Diamondbacks is acceptable in the field, but it is bothersome in man-made environments. Watching my nephew’s choir concert, the kids in the middle of the view appeared normal, but the kids further away from the center of view got more bendy.
• I’m not a fan of field flatteners. I looked through a Leupold BX-4 and I was more bothered by rolling ball than I ever was from pincushion of my current binos.
• I love the idea of a lifetime no questions asked warranty (vortex and Vanguard), but realistically I will probably go my entire life without taking advantage of it so it is not a deal breaker.

Sorry for the long post, but it’s probably better than the open ended “what’s the best 8x42 out there?” kind of question. I also realize that binoculars are kind of like shoes. What fits and works for one person may not work for another. But I’m still interested general thoughts on mid level 8x32 vs entry level 8x42.

Thanks everyone.

I've never seen the Vanguard you mention. In a couple of hours I'll have a Nikon Monarch M 7 8x30. Frank has one of those as well, and we've both been reviewing the Mojave 8x32. I doubt either one of us is done posting about them for awhile, so keep an eye out for additional stuff.

I would say you would be pretty hard pressed not to like the Mojave. I have a bunch of other 8x32 mid price stuff on hand as well. The ZRS HD 8x32, Leupold Acadia, Opticron Traveler WP, Theron Wapiti LT. Any of those should give satisfactory all around use, provided real low light is not a prime concern, and I saw no mention of that.

I would say the Mojave is a better glass than the other 8x32, and it compares better than I thought it would to several 8x42' I have on hand as well. It seems to pretty well tick your checkpoints and should serve nicely. Wait a day or two, and I'll have a better idea of how the Monarch M 7 compares. I have an idea you might be after a second Mojave or M7 when she gets her hands on yours. ;)

The two questions at the beginning of your post are not really answerable, as that type of evaluation is purely subjective in nature, which makes the answer different for everyone. OK - I take that back - it is answerable to some degree, in the form of opinion. For me, the answer is a great "yes indeed!". I much prefer the smaller form factor of a good 8x30 over a larger (and often with a smaller FOV) 8x42. My go-to primary binos are a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, or a Swaro Habicht 8x30 W GA. I don't use my 8x42's very much at all.

Something else -- over the past month I have been using my Nikon 8x30 M7 more than anything else. Even smaller and lighter in weight than the Conquest, and therefore a joy to use, and let hang from the neck. I would happily wager that you will like/use a smaller 8x30 more than your Endeavor (I have one of those too), and will especially like the larger FOV that you will most likely get. Try the M7, or perhaps even better purchase one of gcole's Mojaves that she has on sale at the classifieds section. For mid-level glass, these two would be hard to beat.

Hello,
First time posting although I’ve been a troll here for almost a year. I find the information here very valuable and somewhat addictive for someone who likes to shop for and buy new equipment.

On to my question. Can a mid priced 8x32 roof replace an entry level priced 8x42 roof for general birding? Specifically, is the Leupold Mojave 8x32 or Nikon M7 8x30 equal to or better than a Vanguard Endevor 8x42 as a primary glass?

Background:
My wife and I just started birding this last summer and we’ve really been enjoying it. We currently have three sets of binos: Vortex Diamondback 8x32 (impulse buy, demoted to back up), Zen Ray ZRS 8x42 (wife’s primary) and Vanguard Endevor ED 8x42 (my primary). Being the equipment obsessed geek of the family, I’m always looking for something better out there that I would be happier with. I am not (yet) at the point of investing in alpha level optics, but if I sell one of our current binos and add some cash, I could upgrade to something in the $300 to $400 range. My current thoughts are to sell the Diamondbacks, buy the Mojave or M7 as my primary, and demote the Endevor to back up/low light use. My wife is quite happy with her Zen Ray’s so no change there.

What I’ve discovered about myself and binos:
• I like a closed bridge more than an open bridge. The Vanguards are nice optically, especially considering the closeout pricing on Amazon. But when I grip it, there isn’t enough space between the barrels to comfortably wrap my fingers.
• I like a short, compact roofs. This sounds silly, but more compact binos look a little less “over the top” when at non birding events like sporting events or concerts.
• I really like the form factor of the 8x32 diamondbacks. Big enough for a full grip and decent size exit pupil, but small enough to be convenient for travel and easier to carry. They are a very good bino for the price, but I would like something a little more refined optically.
• I would like a flatter field. The pincushion in the Diamondbacks is acceptable in the field, but it is bothersome in man-made environments. Watching my nephew’s choir concert, the kids in the middle of the view appeared normal, but the kids further away from the center of view got more bendy.
• I’m not a fan of field flatteners. I looked through a Leupold BX-4 and I was more bothered by rolling ball than I ever was from pincushion of my current binos.
• I love the idea of a lifetime no questions asked warranty (vortex and Vanguard), but realistically I will probably go my entire life without taking advantage of it so it is not a deal breaker.

Sorry for the long post, but it’s probably better than the open ended “what’s the best 8x42 out there?” kind of question. I also realize that binoculars are kind of like shoes. What fits and works for one person may not work for another. But I’m still interested general thoughts on mid level 8x32 vs entry level 8x42.

Thanks everyone.
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Optics-7542-MONARCH-Binocular/dp/B006J0BP0E

Yuck. Why would he get another merely decent 8x42 with a narrow FOV when he's asking about 8x32s? Seems an odd recommendation especially from Mr. 8x32 himself.

To the OP, yes, you can have a grand old time with a solid 8x32. That's pretty much all I use now (well also a 6x30).

I' thinking the new Leupold McKinley (when it is released-although it may have a field flattener?) or the new Endeavor II that's due (?) Past that, I'd be looking at a demo (Eagle Optics or Cameraland NY) Conquest HD...

Best of luck regardless... I think binocs and birding is the most fun when it's new (it still is to me.)

David

Thanks for all the replies.

The *bay premiers are now out of my price range. But I appreciate the heads up.

I tried to get one of gcole's Mojaves from the classified section, but I was just a few minutes too late and both are spoken for. Again, I appreciate the nudge in that direction. No worries though, now I can wait for Frank to do a deep dive comparison between Mojave and Monarch 7. Although I find that I am frequenty the victim of analysis paralysis. I get so caught up in reviews and specs and comparisons and I forget that we are talking about small differences between models (at this price point) and that any one of them makes for a more than enjoyable experience. I also understand that there are practical limits on optics and build quality at my price point. I've seen many recommendations for the Conquest as the bin to beat at its price range. Maybe in a few years when we are ready to make that kind of investment (x2) we will be looking hard at the Zeiss and its competitors.

Regarding the danger that the wife will like my bins more and claim them...that already happened once. I bought the ZRS for me, but it was so much better at controlling stray light than the Diamondback, that it became my wife's bins. Which is fine. She would never go out and do research and comparison shopping for binoculars, so if I pick something that she likes and claims it as hers, all the better. It makes birding more enjoyable for both of us. And it gives me the opportunity to shop for a replacement ; )

On any forum, I try not to post unless I have something intellegent to say...hence my low post count...

Make sure you check the various product lines. All kinds just debuted 8x32s for
the first in a given line or revamped their 8x32 models. It's shaping up to be a very
competitive fight at that size. That also means you might be able to get to
a brick-n-mortar place to really "try on" a good number of "shoes".
I was surprised comparing 1-3 yr old write-ups with what I tested. There is this feeling
about 30 seconds into the looking when the fit feels right (or not).

As an FYI cameralandNY usually has open box Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 for under $700 if you want to splurge. You would have to spend a LOT more money to get something better.

eitanaltman,
I just looked at cameralandny. You and I can't be friends anymore...
3:) (Ruh Row) I know that feeling...

Seriously: think about getting something that you will have no buyer's regret over. I'm pretty sure that a demo Zeiss Conquest HD for $700 would be a fine choice and if I had a do over, that's the one I'd probably choose and simplify my binocular collection a bit.

But I've stayed with my Vortex Viper HD 8x32s because so far, I've not found many that could compare for the size, weight, near close focus and all around qualities of these, for the price point. But the Zeiss's were not available at that price when I was looking; if so I'd have probably jumped at the chance.

But my goal back then was also to reserve some money for a pair Nikon SE 8x32s as well (a surrogate alpha if you will) and also have a compact waterproof HD pair (the Vipers) for traveling. My combined spend for the Vipers and the SEs was over $1,000; easily the cost of a single new pair of Zeiss Conquests. So getting them for $700 would be a smart move IMHO.

Last edited:
Tantien,

Glad my humor came through about cameraland. Truthfully, until I looked at that site I didn't know that Conquests were available several hundred dollars below the $1k mark. I admit, my mind did drift towards "you know, the M7 is more than half way to a demo Conquest, a little more saving and a little more stretching could get me there..."

I do know what you mean about spending more to buy good stuff. There are a few other things in my house where I made the decision to spend more and go up in quality. Years later, those are the things that still make me happy when I use them.

Ironic though. This time last year I had to really convince myself to spend $200 on the Diamondbacks. Now, I'm thinking that $700 for Conquests would be a bargain.

This time last year I had to really convince myself to spend $200 on the Diamondbacks. Now, I'm thinking that $700 for Conquests would be a bargain.

Lord, that could be me. I think there is something "altered state" in looking through
these things for some people.

Ironic though. This time last year I had to really convince myself to spend $200 on the Diamondbacks. Now, I'm thinking that $700 for Conquests would be a bargain.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

The ruining factor for me (as many here have heard me bemoan) was that I was able to spend about $550 on a set of Swarovski 8x30s back in the early 90s (?) so that had skewed my impressions since about how good a "decent" binocular should be...

I sold those and went for years without a single set. Then the wife and I decided to "splurge" on an awesome set to SHARE (that never works I hear...;) ). We ended up with a set of Nikon Monarchs that we liked but were burned beyond use in a car fire. Later, I decided to buy separate pairs, but increasing the budget slightly. While she didn't like the first ones I bought for her, she really liked the second set (Leupold Katmais). She is happy with no desire to trade up. As for me, I have been constantly increasing my "budget" with each new pair. For a while, each "step" gives me that "okay...this is as much as I can spend and these will last me the rest of my life" feeling.

For a WHILE I thought I was happy (6x32 Vortex Viper HD, 8x42 Vortex Razor, 10x42 Leupold GR HD.) BUT...little by little, I have sold/traded these off, and want to move to 1 or 2 "alpha" level pairs for me.

Last edited:
If you interested you may have my Sightron II 8x32 for $150 shipped. Is in excellent condition, only used around the house. I'm just not using it.

Last edited:
I haven't tried the Endeavor, but I have the ZRS, and fwiw I think that the Mojave can easily compete with that model optically. Optics aside, I personally think that it is just as important that the bins be comfortable in your hands, so if you seem to favor a mid sized body, then you ought to give either the Mojave or Nikon a try. Btw, if the demo Conquest HDs are no longer available at $700, would you consider a brand new one at $825? B&H has them at that price (after rebate).... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892051-REG/Zeiss_523211_8x32_Conquest_HD_Binocular.html

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back