Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Atlas Strike Eagle 6.5x32

Old Thursday 21st September 2017, 00:32   #1
Coin Hound

Thumbs up Atlas Strike Eagle 6.5x32

I took a chance and bought a pair of these from Eagle Optics.

I used them last night and was not impressed--and all sales final. It was cloudy and very humid yesterday.

OK, so they got another look--and now I am really impressed. Skies were clear and the humidity is not in the tropic zone. What is not to like about a nice pair of small, BRIGHT and wide bins that really have a great depth of view and a HUGE field of view. There is some of curvature though.

Are they as good as my Mavens--no...but they were $65 shipped. If the Mavens are an "A", these Atlas Optics are a solid "B"

Here's the skinny--focus is good--not great. Image in the center is very tack sharp. The eyecups could be better. They are not horrible, but could be more ergonomic. Perhaps its my Fred Flintstone face, not the eyecups. There is a small amount of light bouncing around in there--but no big deal.

These are perfect for informal backyard watching birds and planes while having a cigar in the evening. Very well built--no play in the focus, no twisting of the eyepiece bridge.

I actually preferred these tonight when scanning the sky for bats and flying saucers.

As the sun sets on Eagle Optics, I really got a great deal. A warm thanks!
Old Thursday 21st September 2017, 02:53   #2
BruceH
BF Supporter 2019

If it can spot flying saucers, count me in!

Thanks for the review. Picking up bats is not that easy. The 525 ft FOV has to be a big help.

It looks like a good alternative to the Luepold Yosemite but with a wider FOV and a some savings.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 21st September 2017, 06:30   #3
peatmoss

Hello Coin Hound. That's a really nice price. I got a pair a few years ago and enjoyed using it. Very competitive with the Nikon AE 7x35 Porro.
Old Friday 22nd September 2017, 19:02   #4
bluespiderweb
Great Grey Looking Out

Hi guys, haven't been around here in a while! These have the central components that look similar to the Vixen Foresta binoculars (hello Peatmoss, you'd know this!), though I have only known these in the 8x versions. 6x or 6.5x bins are great, when you are in close, and wow, these have a 525' field of view!

That beats my Eagle Optics Ranger 6x32 SRT's by more than a hundred feet! But the SRT's are lighter, and have a 6' minimum focus, and being roofs, no doubt has their traits instead of the Porros. I generally prefer Porros myself, but I wouldn't sell my Rangers for anything (well, may be an exxageration-I have my price, but you'd have to be nuts to meet it!). ; )

Sounds like a good deal though, and looks like Eagle Optics has some left still. Too bad about EO-they have served me well and I have bought a few from them and used their service for repair on occaision, and found them a trustworthy retailer, for sure. Good to know that Vortex will continue to offer warranty service on the EO brand bins.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd September 2017, 22:56   #5
Common Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespiderweb View Post
Hi guys, haven't been around here in a while! These have the central components that look similar to the Vixen Foresta binoculars (hello Peatmoss, you'd know this!), though I have only known these in the 8x versions. 6x or 6.5x bins are great, when you are in close, and wow, these have a 525' field of view!

That beats my Eagle Optics Ranger 6x32 SRT's by more than a hundred feet! But the SRT's are lighter, and have a 6' minimum focus, and being roofs, no doubt has their traits instead of the Porros. I generally prefer Porros myself, but I wouldn't sell my Rangers for anything (well, may be an exxageration-I have my price, but you'd have to be nuts to meet it!). ; )

Sounds like a good deal though, and looks like Eagle Optics has some left still. Too bad about EO-they have served me well and I have bought a few from them and used their service for repair on occaision, and found them a trustworthy retailer, for sure. Good to know that Vortex will continue to offer warranty service on the EO brand bins.
I've considered getting a pair of the Atlas at the low EO clearance price. Thought their super wide field of view would make them a good pair for beginners and children.

bluespiderweb, I have purchased and sold many binoculars. Leica, Zeiss, etc. The Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32 remains the one sentimental binocular I refuse to give up. First binocular that ever wowed me, and the most sentimental in my collection.

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th September 2017, 23:22   #6
mooreorless

I sold my Leupold 6x30 Yosemite to a friend and I miss that binocular, I keep looking at this Strike Eagle wide field 6.5x32
Old Friday 29th September 2017, 23:50   #7
ceasar

I loaned my original (1st version that came out) Leupold 6x30 Yosemite to my brother and he won't give it back. I should have bought 2 or 3 of them.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 30th September 2017, 08:22   #8
mooreorless

Bob, While my wife was driving I used the 6x30 Yosemite to look far ahead for to see the Highway signs so she could get in the right lane to get off. The 6x worked good for that. Mine was the original version as well.
Old Saturday 30th September 2017, 18:23   #9
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Who makes Atlas binoculars?
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 20:42   #10
mooreorless

I ended up ordering one of the Atlas Strike Eagle 6.5x32 off EO. $60.95 shipped. Not sure where they are made.
Old Friday 6th October 2017, 07:32   #11
Bob A (SD)

I thought long and hard about the Atlas Strike Eagle because of their multicoated lenses and wide FOV. But ultimately I simply decided to stay with my ZOMZ Kronos BPWC2 6x30 porros with their 655' FOV. Holger Merlitz reviewed them in 2003 and found them optically superior to the Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30 and on par with the Hensoldt DF 8x30. I agree with him about them having a somewhat sloppy CF wheel.

Bins: Swaro 7x42 B SLC; ZenRay 7x36 ED2; Pentax 8x32DCF-WP/9x21UCF; Minox BD6.5x32 IF; Leupold GR 9x35IF/8x30Yosemite; Dakota 7x28; Binolux 7x35s 11 & 10.5; ZOMZ 6x30 12.5
Old Friday 6th October 2017, 20:04   #12
paul2013

Strike Eagle 6.5x

Kind of a ridiculous fighter jet name, but yes, these are winners. I bought a pair for my wife (who doesn't use bins often) and was impressed. And yes, I think they're from the same maker of the Vixen poros. They even smell the same. My mother has the 6x Yosemites, I have the 6x Kowa SVs, and I'd say the Atlas are either the best or tied with the SVs. Great ER, too. When EO announced they were closing I ordered their Kingbird 6.5x, got a pair that wouldn't focus a single image at infinity, tried a second pair that had the same problem, and then "upgraded" () to the Strike Eagles, which were better in every way. I just ordered a pair of the "Iron Eagle" 8x42s (that name sound like a WWII action movie) to leave in my car or office. Hopefully the functional ER will be close to the stated 21mm as the issue with the Forestas was that the ocular lenses sit so far below the eyecups that you lose 7-8mm off the optical ER.
Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 00:30   #13
mooreorless

I received my Strike Eagle 6.5 Wed. after ordering it Sunday and would agree with Paul and Coin Hound. I tried the binocular with glasses and w/o this binocular worked very well for me. The focus is not buttery smooth or real easy to turn, but I found I don't have to focus that much. Once adj. the bridge stays where you set it. I had a look at Orion the other clear night and could see both Betelgeuse and Bellatrix at the top in this binocular, same way at bottom with Saiph & Rigel with some extra field left over. I received a binocular harness strap from EO with this order. I would buy it again.
Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 00:58   #14
BruceH
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooreorless View Post
I received my Strike Eagle 6.5 Wed. ......... The focus is not buttery smooth or real easy to turn, but I found I don't have to focus that much. ..........
Hey Steve ..... Thanks for posting your comments on this binocular.

Do you think the focus would be to stiff for a young child to work?

Also, do you know what the minimum and maximum IPD specs are?

I was wondering if this would be as good of a choice for a young child's binocular as the Leupold Yosemite 6X30 is.

Thanks.

Old Saturday 7th October 2017, 08:49   #15
mooreorless

Hi Bruce, I just tried the focus wheel with my little finger and could move it. I don't have very big hands. My grandson is not up for the weekend. I have had binoculars that I could move the focus wheel with my tongue, the Strike Eagle is not one of them. Kids would not have to focus as much as us "big" kids. Sorry I could not help you that much. We are going to a picnic at a state park this Sunday I will take this binocular there and let a young person try it.

Regards, Steve

Last edited by mooreorless : Saturday 7th October 2017 at 09:10.
Old Monday 9th October 2017, 12:23   #16
mooreorless

Hi Bruce, Sorry I did not take the Strike Eagle to the picnic, I had not put the neck strap on and found it not a quick thing to do. I measure the IPD 55mm >max 72mm. I don't know if I would recommend this binocular for a very young child because of the focus being somewhat hard. I am glad I bought it and one thing the bridge would stay put in place and kids would not have to move focus wheel that much I guess.EO says all sells final on these. After I bought mine for $60 shipped they show $55 for them now.I will still try to get a young person to try it. BIL daughter> daughter.: BTW there is nothing on the binocular saying where it is made.

Last edited by mooreorless : Monday 9th October 2017 at 20:56. Reason: made a mistake
Old Monday 9th October 2017, 19:05   #17
BruceH
BF Supporter 2019

Thanks Steve, especially for taking the time to measure the IPD. A min. of 55 mm may be a little large for younger children so that is good to know. Specs for the Luepold Yosemite list 50 mm for the min. IPD.

I ordered a Swaro case near the start of the sale and it went down a week later.

Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 01:24   #18
Nixterdemus

Well, 65 simoleons TTD beats a lotto ticket ...

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: