Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Canon's new 14x32 IS

Old Tuesday 22nd January 2019, 00:25   #51
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Great thread, and Dave thanks for the pics, as always it gives a great perspective on the comparison of size, and of course great views.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 22nd January 2019, 05:28   #52
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
The current low B&H price on the 10x32 IS finally got the best of me. I’ve been evaluating a pair for a few days now and plan to start a new review thread with resolution measurements, star tests etc. sometime in the next week. For now I have a few early impressions.
That's great. Really looking forward to your review!

Hermann
Old Tuesday 22nd January 2019, 09:38   #53
Binastro

Henry,
Is the CA that you see more about the component introduced by the stabiliser rather than the centred binocular component itself?
I have not tried the new 32mm models but the CA varies a lot with the stabilser position in the ones that I have.
Old Tuesday 22nd January 2019, 12:48   #54
henry link

Hi Binastro,

I don't know whether I can determine for sure why there is so much CA, but if you examine the two diagrams below (new 32mm models vs 10x42 LS) you can see several suspects.

First there is the conspicuous absence of any mention of extra-low dispersion glass in the new designs compared to two UD elements in the diagram of the 10x42 LS. Then there is the very complex new objective design with many singlets and (if the diagram is accurate) some very wide air spaces, and finally there is the IS element constantly moving out of alignment with the optical axis of the other lenses.

I think there is a bit more lateral color when the IS is engaged, but there is still plenty when it's off. I'll try to figure out more as I go along. No, I haven't looked through a 10x42 LS.

Henry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lens-shift_2_.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	685376  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0238.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	685377  

Last edited by henry link : Tuesday 22nd January 2019 at 13:04.
Old Tuesday 22nd January 2019, 13:26   #55
Binastro

Hi Henry,
When I looked in the front of the newer type 8x25 IS (2014?), which also has a moving lens element rather than the variprism, I could see the lens rapidly moving.
But I think this moving element is near the front.

I don't know if you can see the moving element in the 10x32 IS looking into the front.

What was fascinating in perhaps the late 8x25 IS or possibly the 10x30 Mk 2, I can't remember which one, is that the image formed at the back of the binocular, looking through the front was almost totally stable when I rapidly moved the binocular.
I can't remember the frequency of the lens element shift type, perhaps around 10Hz?

The Fujinon 14x40 Stabilize? has a lovely clean image, but the stabiliser is very troubling to me giving the jitters and uncomfortable for viewing. Small AFOV.

The Zeiss 20x60S gives the best images, but is a beast. Not user friendly and very curved field, but superb central resolution.
Old Tuesday 22nd January 2019, 13:45   #56
henry link

Yes, I can see the IS lens rapidly moving when looking through the objective end of the 10x32, but it's not very close to the front. The entire six element objective, including the IS element, appears to move back and forth as a unit for focusing.

Last edited by henry link : Tuesday 22nd January 2019 at 14:09.
Old Tuesday 22nd January 2019, 14:24   #57
Stanbo

If you want to be prepared for Henry's comments on CA, which should be interesting, please have a look at his posting about the subject in 2009 - https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=134310

Stan
Old Tuesday 22nd January 2019, 20:25   #58
Canip

Henry,
as mentioned before, I am looking forward to your in-depth review of the CA issue.
Many users, myself included (and e.g. this guy:
http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/re...x32-binoculars)
did not find excessive CA in the new Canons.
Canip
Old Wednesday 23rd January 2019, 14:26   #59
henry link

Hi Canip,

I'll do my best to represent the CA accurately. Imaging it as it appears on my CA target is presenting some new challenges because the lateral color is at its worst when the binocular is being handheld with the IS engaged. I haven't figured out a way to handhold the binocular and photograph through it simultaneously. Besides there is a dynamic component that will be lost in any still photo. As the target lazily swims around with the IS engaged the most vivid lateral color shifts position in response. A phone-scoped video would be best, except the image through my phone camera is way too small to show CA at all.

Using my target in sunlight I've been doing some subjective visual comparisons of CA between the Canon with the IS engaged and a tripod mounted Nikon 10x35 E II, which is optically the closest conventional binocular I have to the Canon. I would estimate the lateral color fringes at 5º off-axis to be perhaps 3-4 times wider and much more vivid through the Canon. Oddly enough the width and intensity of the color fringes in the Canon peak at around 20º off-axis and actually improve over the last 5 or so degrees (perhaps related to vignetting of the exit pupil near the field edge).

Why haven't other reviews reported this? My guess at the moment is that nobody has evaluated it systematically under controlled repeatable conditions specifically designed to show CA. I don't see it either under many lower contrast field conditions. I'm pretty certain we would all see basically the same thing if we all viewed the same target under the same lighting conditions.

Henry

Last edited by henry link : Wednesday 23rd January 2019 at 20:06.
Old Wednesday 23rd January 2019, 14:54   #60
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

I've often wondered about conflicting CA reports. Yes, I'm aware of how individual this is, but is there an aspect of binocular construction [or mis-construction / poor QA] that could cause higher than typical [for that model] CA?

Internal alignment etc?
Old Wednesday 23rd January 2019, 14:55   #61
Binastro

Hi Henry,
I use Canon IS binoculars when I require more resolution than a standard hand held binocular can give.
The 18x50 IS and others have a great deal of false colour particularly when the IS is working near their off axis limits.
But this false colour does not mean that they don't far outresolve standard hand held binoculars.

If someone wants to see bad false colour look through the Nikon 10-22x50 at 22x.
I sometimes use this at 22x as it shows the gap between Saturn and its rings even better than the Canon 18x50IS, so long as I brace the Nikon against the window glass and the window frame.

For me it is the observation that is important not the optics quality.
So long as the optics deliver what I am looking for, I will put up with errors in optics.

That is also why I would not consider a near perfect 8x56.
I use 12x56, 13x56 Minox and 15x56 or 15x58.
For my observations a heavy 8x56 is not the way I would go. I would use at most 8x42 or 8.5x44 Swift.

However, I understand that bird watchers require very good colour fidelity, which I don't really need.
So for bird watchers CA may be a problem.
However, I hate my sample of the Nikon HG 8x42 because the false colour near the edge and horrible flare are not what I want from an £800 binocular.
It does however show shadow detail that is just not visible in my other binoculars.
Later ones seem to be a lot better than mine.
Old Wednesday 23rd January 2019, 15:04   #62
Binastro

James,
I would think that tilted optical elements might increase false colour while not affecting other performance characteristics that much.
No binocular optics are actually perfectly aligned. There are always small errors.

With lower price binoculars there is little or no quality control and most customers don't even know if their binocular has poor optics.
Hopefully, more expensive ones have quality control, but they still vary.
Old Wednesday 23rd January 2019, 15:19   #63
henry link

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
I've often wondered about conflicting CA reports. Yes, I'm aware of how individual this is, but is there an aspect of binocular construction [or mis-construction / poor QA] that could cause higher than typical [for that model] CA?

Internal alignment etc?
Yes, internal misalignment leading to coma will cause lateral color to be asymmetrical with the null point falling somewhere off-axis, which can cause significant color to appear on axis. That's not the case with this particular 10x32 which in a high magnification star test shows no significant coma in either side.

Last edited by henry link : Wednesday 23rd January 2019 at 15:28.
Old Wednesday 23rd January 2019, 15:24   #64
henry link

Hi Binastro,

I actually agree that even this Canon model is a very effective tool, warts included.

Henry
Old Thursday 24th January 2019, 17:28   #65
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Still makes me wonder. If Canon can make a really good and relatively inexpensive series of IS bins [which apparently don't sell well], then why don't they take the obviously excellent optics and package them up in a standard non-IS bin?
Old Thursday 24th January 2019, 17:32   #66
kabsetz

Henry,

Waiting for your comprehensive report. I'm particularly interested in your take on the advantages or lack thereof of the stabilisation, as well as whether your ideas about non-stabilised binocular viewing will change at all as a result of playing with the Canons.

Kimmo
Old Friday 25th January 2019, 14:18   #67
henry link

Hi Kimmo,

I'm just a newbie when it comes to stabilized binoculars, but the happiest surprise so far for me is how effective the 10x32 stabilisation is, even at 38x. I don't see why Canon couldn't use exactly the same IS mechanism to make a handholdable spotting scope.

I'll be away for a few days and then back to testing the 10x32.

Henry
Old Saturday 2nd February 2019, 07:13   #68
Wolf Beam

I wrote a positive review above that I want to change a bit after 5 months of using the 14x32s. The review was written after use in nordic October light. I had some issues with CA but thought it was acceptable.
Now I have spent a month in the bright bright light of Peru... And I must say I now feel the CA is too painful. Hurts the eyes to watch a bird in flight or branches with cloudy sky in the background. The CA thus a lot worse in bright light. A pity because otherwise these binos are terrific.
Old Monday 4th February 2019, 17:09   #69
BinoBoy

Even cheaper!

An Amazon Marketplace seller named 6Ave has them even cheaper than B&H.

The 10x32 is $613 with Amazon Prime shipping:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-li...&condition=new

The 12x32 is $668 with Prime shipping:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-li...&condition=new

The 14x32 is $830 with free shipping:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-li...&condition=all
Old Monday 4th February 2019, 22:08   #70
18000bph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinoBoy View Post
An Amazon Marketplace seller named 6Ave has them even cheaper than B&H.
If you go directly to the 6ave website the prices are even better.
Old Monday 4th February 2019, 22:19   #71
PeterPS

The price of a new 14x32 is 830.52$, whereas the price of a used 14x32 (from the same seller) is 830.49$---who wouldn't enjoy a discount of 0.03$!?

Seriously, the terrible eyecups of the new Canon IS binos alone (for those who don't wear glasses with binos) is a show stopper for me, even if everything else was almost perfect (which of course it is not....).
Old Tuesday 5th February 2019, 00:45   #72
18000bph

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPS View Post
Seriously, the terrible eyecups of the new Canon IS binos alone (for those who don't wear glasses with binos) is a show stopper for me, even if everything else was almost perfect (which of course it is not....).
I'll back you up on your criticism of the eyecups. The eyecups are so bad that Canon might as well just ship them without eyecups installed. The only way these can be used is with the cups folded back. It's ok for me since I have deep set eyes and usually have to have the cups nearly all the way in anyway.

I am withholding my thoughts on the optics until I can get a few more daylight uses in. The short days are making it tough to give these things a proper shake down.
Old Tuesday 5th February 2019, 01:05   #73
BinoBoy

6Ave has 103,000 ratings on Amazon with 98% positive, but their prices are so low it makes you wonder if they are grey market imports with no warranty.

Edit: Looked at their feedbacks and it looks like they are international warranty items.

Last edited by BinoBoy : Tuesday 5th February 2019 at 01:08.
Old Tuesday 5th February 2019, 03:12   #74
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinoBoy View Post
6Ave has 103,000 ratings on Amazon with 98% positive, but their prices are so low it makes you wonder if they are grey market imports with no warranty.

Edit: Looked at their feedbacks and it looks like they are international warranty items.
Hello Bino Boy,

I have never owned a Canon IS binocular although I did have the opportunity to use a 10x42 IS for a short time at Cape May, NJ and I was very impressed with it!

On a whim I decided to purchase the Canon 12x36 IS III from B&H on January 31st 2019 and it arrived the next day at noon on my doorstep. So far I like it very much (no problems getting used to the eye cups, I don't wear glasses.) but I did notice that there was no warranty information included with it.

I must get back to B&H on that matter. I have always found it useful to register my binocular purchases with the manufacturer.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Tuesday 5th February 2019 at 03:19.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 5th February 2019, 08:56   #75
Binastro

I have been using the Canon 18x50 IS for about 18 years.
The 'terrible' eyecups I find to be absolutely fine.
They are still fairly soft.
I don't wear glasses with binoculars.

However, some modern binoculars I find to be almost unusable with so much eye relief they are just hovering in front of my eyes.

The Zeiss 5x10T monocular is just plain ridiculous. It has far too much eye relief for me.
I can only hold it steady by putting my distance glasses on and place the monocular on the glass to steady it.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: