• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do You Like the "Open Bridge" Binos? (1 Viewer)

I agree to an extent (e.g. problems with early production Swarovski EL), but I think the bigger problem is that Chinese manufacturers don't always have good design or quality control for assembly of focus gearing. Nearly all of the problems that I've heard about and witnessed have been in Chinese made binoculars, both open-bridge and conventional. In my experience, such problems are rare in Japanese bins, even cheap ones. When it comes to "alphas", Swarovski and Leica have historically inspired the most complaints, but those complaints often targeted the SLC and the Ultravid series, neither of which are open-bridge designs.

--AP

Where's Brock when you need him to chime in?

Come to think of it - Where is Brock ????? :h?:

Chosun :gh:

"Open-bridge" is never a consideration for me. Good optics come in all chassis types and I've found I can adapt to most hinge designs. The best handling binocular I have have DOES happen to be an open-bridge design, the SV 8X32.

I also like open bridge binoculars among many others.

The 2 best binocular models available today are open bridge you know.

The Zeiss Victory SF and the Swarovski EL Swarovision.

Jerry

I also like open bridge binoculars among many others.

The 2 best binocular models available today are open bridge you know.

The Zeiss Victory SF and the Swarovski EL Swarovision.

Jerry

The old Cat bridge design was the best ... until Zeiss decided it wasn't practical ... :cat:

Attachments

• IMG_0115.JPG
    IMG_0115.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 47
The old Cat bridge design was the best ... until Zeiss decided it wasn't practical ... :cat:

No GiGi this is actually a very early prototype catadioptric scope Zeiss called 'Catalyt', with the two cat's eyes giving a mild 3D effect or 'plasticity' as the Germans called it, although the English called this 'baloney'. Notice the tail which one used to help aim the scope by centering it between the cat's ears. Unfortunately the cats could not be trained to stop flicking the tail from side to side so this feature was abandoned on later versions. This engaging and imaginative instrument also featured a rudimentary mechanical image stabilisation mechanism. The cats were bred to ensure that as their body jigged about due to fatigue in the arms of the user, their head would bob slowly in a compensatory motion as the cat centered its eyes on the target and kept it there. At the time Zeiss claimed this compensated for up to more than 95% of unwanted movement. Very few images of the Catalyt exist so well done for finding this one.

Actually I am pretty sure Binastro has one in his collection......

Lee

LOL ! :cat: I bet the night vision is amazing !! :-O:-O

Though I believe the 'armour' (especially at the 'eyecup' end! :) has a distinctly unpleasant smell !! :cat:

Chosun :gh:

P.S. I used to have a polished aluminium "Pickelhaube" replete with gold anodized spike and Prussian Eagle on the front, for riding my Ducati - very flash ! :king:

I dislike the open-bridge design, which is why I avoided Swarovski for a very long time (I ended up getting an EL SV 8.4x42 eventually, so it's not an absolute deal-breaker) and prefer the traditional design as with the Leica Ultravid or Zeiss Victory HT. Unfortunately the best binoculars available IMO (Swarovski EL SV 8.5x42 and Zeiss Victory SF 8x42) are both open-bridge designs.

I like the open Bridge design. Maybe because the first family bino was a Swaro Habicht 7x42 with porroprism and I got used to it. All these porros were open bridge models.

I forgot how much I liked the way my old Leupold Mojave (open bridge) binoculars handled until I picked up a pair of my buddy's newer Mojave's the other day. I was like "oh yea, those were nice to handle!"

Open bridge designs are great in the hand until they aren't. There is a fine line between being very easy handling, and just too darn big. Not sure where it is, but I've had some of each.

If I had to put my finger on it, so to speak, it would be right about where the Leupold Mojave's are. My Sightrons are smaller, and work great. But my wife's Bushnell Legend M's and a pair of Nikon EDG's I recently sold, are just too darn big.

Postscript... maybe it really depends on details: where the hinges of an open-bridge design are, or their size? I just tried out an SF for the first time today, not nearly long enough, but in retrospect holding it seemed perfectly natural, no awkwardness with thumb position or finger grasp as I remember from ELs years ago. I'll have to go back and figure out why the SF worked for me. An instantly likeable binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back