• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another "what tripod?" thread (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Apologies in advance... I've been using a CF Velbon Sherpa with a Manfrotto 701rc2 for roughly the last decade, and I think this year I may replace it, as the legs are slipping a little. I'm fairly happy with the set up, but I'm after something a bit more stable. I have my eye on either the Manfrotto 500/501 head, or one of these cheaper rebrandings? I'll also be needing new legs, what would be the best options for around £100? I'm not particularly bothered about CF, more about stability and having something tall enough (I'm 5'11) whereby I don't need to raise the central column. Any suggestions?

Cheers Andrew, they look decent. May I ask 1) how do you find the twist lock mechanism and 2) the rough circumference of the last leg section - often a bit too narrow but look wide enough from that image. Also would this be compatible with a manfrotto head? Cheers!

Cheers Andrew, they look decent. May I ask 1) how do you find the twist lock mechanism and 2) the rough circumference of the last leg section - often a bit too narrow but look wide enough from that image. Also would this be compatible with a manfrotto head? Cheers!

I'm fine with twist locks and prefer them to clips. I find them a bit more solid and reliable, as long as they're properly tightened. The leg sections are quite thick on the Mach 3, even the lower ones. Not sure of the circumference though. There is a version with only three sections, so that will probably have a thicker lower section but won't be as compact when folded:
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/benro-mach3-tma27a-aluminium-tripod-1573997/
I suspect you could put most heads on it, though I'm not sure about the Manfrotto.

Most tripod heads are interchangeable on most legs as the threads are generally standard, if not then a simple, cheap adapter is all that is required.

RB

Hi Daniel,

the legs that Andrew recommended look very usable and should work fine even for a heavy scope. It's max height with the center column down is 135cm - with a 500AH (which adds 10cm and is warmly recommended) and a full size angled scope (adds 10-15cm - my Kowa TSN-3 adds 13cm from tripod plate to center of eyelens) your eyepiece will be at 155 to 160cm.

Your eyes will be roughly 10-13cm below your height of 180cm, so you'll have to lower your head slightly (which you have to do anyways to use an angled scope).

With a straight scope you'll have to extend the column a bit though.

Twist lugs are preferred - if they slip, they weren't tight enough... unlike levers. I cannot comment on the 500AH copy you linked as I don't know it - my heavily used 500AH from the classifieds here was about that price (some dust from an unknown desert it had been dragged through by its former owner was included).
There are only two standards for connecting tripods, heads and cameras - 1/4" or 3/8" - between tripod and head it's usually 3/8" (and should the legs really have 1/4" an adapter is like 1 quid - if it isn't included).

Joachim

Last edited:
Many thanks for the replies, sounds like this is a good option. I'm a bit unsure about the head, but I can always return it if build quality isnt great. I'll let you know how I get on, though wont be for a month or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back