Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Gitzo Traveler with scope/birding head?

Old Tuesday 26th March 2019, 11:51   #1
Beltane3659

Gitzo Traveler with scope/birding head?

Hello Im interested in buying a Gitzo traveller tripod to use abroad with a smaller travel scope (Kowa TSN-553 or similar). However, Gitzo dont recommend any of their birding heads for use with this tripod. Does anyone use a Traveller tripod and if so what head do you use with it?
Thanks for the advice
Old Tuesday 26th March 2019, 14:27   #2
Alexis Powell

With my Nikon 50 ED on an ultralight tripod, I use a small but sturdy ballhead (Really Right Stuff BH-25 Pro).

--AP
Old Tuesday 26th March 2019, 20:29   #3
johnf3f
johnf3f

Personally I would not recommend a Traveller (even Gitzo) for scope use. However, if that is the only tripod you can bring, they will do the job - sort of.

I have a Gitzo G1550T and, coincidentally, was using it with my 50mm scope yesterday. I was just using a Triopo RS3 ball head (holds anything!) simply because it was what I had handy. Much as I am a Gitzo fan the traveller series are not ideal for scopes, being a bit light and not rigid enough IMO. If weight is at a premium then I use a 2 series Mountaineer but normally use a 4 series Systematic. I find that scopes are far more difficult to support than even the longest lenses such as my Canon 800mm.

If only a Traveller will fit your travel needs then go for a 2 series with as few leg sections as you can get away with. The GT2545T looks interesting.

Many heads are not recommended for Traveller tripods as they do not allow the tripod to fold back on itself (too wide) so just take it off for stowage. Pretty much any head will fit.

Happy hunting!
Old Thursday 28th March 2019, 06:55   #4
Beltane3659

Thank you |Alexis, will look into this.

Best
KH
Old Thursday 28th March 2019, 07:06   #5
Beltane3659

Thank you John3f3,

I've used a travel tripod in the past - not ideal as you say but I like the option when weight limits are tight. I'l look into your other suggestions. Thanks again.

Best
KH
Old Friday 29th March 2019, 23:28   #6
stuartelsom

Hi KH,

I've been using the Gitzo 2545T on my tours for about 3 years now. Personally I think its the best lightweight tripod I've ever used. It's by no means cheap, but its done many overseas tours now, and its as good as the day I bought it. I have 2 heads; the 2720QR and the GHF2W, although I've only had the latter a few weeks now, and the GHF2W is better for the 85mm ATX, although the 2720 is fine for the 65mm.

Link to spec on WEX site here.https://www.wexphotovideo.com/gitzo-...ripod-1578628/

Stu

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 5th April 2019, 17:21   #7
Beltane3659

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartelsom View Post
Hi KH,

I've been using the Gitzo 2545T on my tours for about 3 years now. Personally I think its the best lightweight tripod I've ever used. It's by no means cheap, but its done many overseas tours now, and its as good as the day I bought it. I have 2 heads; the 2720QR and the GHF2W, although I've only had the latter a few weeks now, and the GHF2W is better for the 85mm ATX, although the 2720 is fine for the 65mm.

Link to spec on WEX site here.https://www.wexphotovideo.com/gitzo-...ripod-1578628/

Stu
Hello Stuart,

Well that's good to know. I already have a 2720QR head - so Gitzo's advice was wrong then -clearly the head will work with a Traveler scope. Thanks for taking the trouble to set me right.

Best
Keith
Old Thursday 11th April 2019, 03:55   #8
fazalmajid

I don't know about a 50mm scope like your Kowa, but I found even a Gitzo 1127 Mountaineer tripod not up to the task of holding my Meopta MeoStar HD 82mm at 60x, and had to upgrade to a GT2532. The Traveler, while a great portable photo tripod, is going to struggle.
Old Thursday 11th April 2019, 03:56   #9
fazalmajid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltane3659 View Post
Well that's good to know. I already have a 2720QR head - so Gitzo's advice was wrong then -clearly the head will work with a Traveler scope.
They probably meant the tripod won't close with a bulkier head.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: