• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which entry-level scope. (1 Viewer)

Snapshot

I want to buy an entry-level (<£100) spotting scope for general purpose use - a bit of birding, helping with my target shooting, basic digiscoping and generally watching the world go by. I already have a very nice Manfrotto carbon-fibre tripod and a Novoflex table-top tripod with Manfrotto head so I'm not worried if what I buy comes with a stand or not. I've been considering the following four scopes:

Piccolo Compact 15-45x60
Summit 15-45x60
Oregon 12-36x50
Celestron Mini 12-36x50

I'd appreciate any pros and cons of the above four or suggestions of other models I should look at. I'm leaning towards the Summit as it seems to be the only one with multi-coated lenses. I know I should try them before buying but finding a real showroom within reach is difficult.

Jonathan

Last edited:
If you were able to stretch your budget a little then you should definately try this...

http://www.focusonprice.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=6664&substring=

An excellent scope for the price and works well with a CP4500 or similar for digiscoping

Try to find your local hunting shop and see if they stock them to try on out

Snapshot said:
I want to buy an entry-level (<£100) spotting scope for general purpose use - a bit of birding, helping with my target shooting, basic digiscoping and generally watching the world go by. I already have a very nice Manfrotto carbon-fibre tripod and a Novoflex table-top tripod with Manfrotto head so I'm not worried if what I buy comes with a stand or not. I've been considering the following four scopes:

Piccolo Compact 15-45x60
Summit 15-45x60
Oregon 12-36x50
Celestron Mini 12-36x50

I'd appreciate any pros and cons of the above four or suggestions of other models I should look at. I'm leaning towards the Summit as it seems to be the only one with multi-coated lenses. I know I should try them before buying but finding a real showroom within reach is difficult.

Jonathan

probably a worthwhile recommendation, but at double the op's stated budget,
can anyone expand further on the original choices, as to their optical performance, and or shortcomings.
thanks

entry scope

hi - just saw this link..http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=109694&highlight=Piccolo -- it may help you a little.

Why is that when a newbie like this (or me) asks for advice we are always encouraged to spend a little more (at least twice or more) for something we know we cannot afford - believe or not some of us still live in the real world with families to feed and mortgages and bills to pay.

I am also well aware that ED and HD etc lenses will cut out CA but once again give us credit for trying to enjoy a little fun whilst experimenting and learning.

For what it's worth I recently bought a secondhand Bausch and Lomb Discoverer 15x60-60, I have played at handheld digiscoping with a Nikon 990 (now sold) and Canon A570 - won't set the world on fire - but a bit of fun. Must get better when I work out a suitable adapter.

Once again, please consider the foregoing before offering expensive and therefore useless advice - you see most of us will already have done a lot of research - we just lack your financial status.

I have the Opticron Piccolo and it is a very nice scope for the money (£35 in my case). Ture, there is a bit of CA and above 25x it is fairly fuzzy but you get what you pay for. Make sure you get a good one though-mine seems to have all grit on the prism which p*sses me off at 15x where I can see it.

The Bresser Safari 15-45x60 is meant to be alright for the money as well (RRP of £125 but I have hardly ever seen it offered for more than £100). I was originally going to go for that one as my stopgap scope (before I eventually save up for an 85mm Zeiss Diascope-if I ever get round to it) but in the end I went for the Piccolo simply because losing £35's worth of kit if I get mugged or come off my bike is a lot less bad than £100.

Also, have a look on eBay for deals-lower-end scopes from reputable companies are quite a worthwhile option.

Also get a good tripod again from a reputable company that has been reviewed on here or elsewhere-I went for a Velbon Sherpa 450 (the only one that was cheap but tall enough-I am 6 foot 6).

So now I have the weird situation of having a £35 scope and a £70 tripod!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back