• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bear Grylls: we need more stunts (1 Viewer)

yeah i'm not too keen on Bear ever since I saw him devouring a frog he found in an oasis in the middle of the sahara.

I'm not much of an expert on Saharan amphibians but I imagine there's a certain fragility and genetic isolation to their existence...

James

Yes, I'm not a fan either, having seen him catch, decapitate and eat a live snake (can't recall where). I wonder if there's footage on the cutting room floor of him throwing up afterwards?
I prefer programmes where the wildlife is the sole subject of the footage, with a sensible, accurate voice-over.
Martin

It always seems to me that whilst Ray Mears sees his role as working with nature, Bear Grylls sees his as fighting against it. Mears genuinely appears to be a decent naturalist whilst Grylls doesn't seem to have much of a clue unles he can eat it or it's poisonous.

And then there's his nightly stays in 5 star hotels in between his time in "remote wilderness", or one night in a B&B that he admitted.

Last edited:
The only programs i've seen of his were survival type programs - clearly these will include eating things finding water avoiding poisenous things etc... My niece loves him (she is 25) as do a lot of the younger generation. He is more of a steve irwin than mears.

They appeal to different audiences - thank god! I like them both.

As for attenborough well he is a legend but again this is not the same kind of program nor is it meant to be. When attenborough was around people didnt understand a lot about the world or nature - it was ground breaking. We did a school project on 'life and earth' - he wrote to us to tell us that he was producing a series on the subject and to thank us - awesome. People believed the tv and these guys as gospel - remember the spagetti in trees? Now there are nature films, series available everywhere so younger viewers want presenters to go a step further.

My girls wont watch any nature films not yet anyway but they will watch this guy....

I guess if Bear's antics encourage a few t*ssers to throw themselves off cliffs, it will help to improve the gene pool....

Much as I like Bear in a survival/youth work context, I didn't think it needed as much of the "stunt" side last night - why free dive for the mantis shrimp which could only lead to a brief sighting, rather than scuba and be able to see what it is actually doing in habitat?

I enjoyed The Perigune Fakcon footage on last nights programme I kind of switched off abit when he was going through the caves.

Bear Gryllis programme was a great 3 parter. I have to say the BoP Perigrine Falcon chasing Bear on his bike was fabulous to watch .. the best part of the 3 programmes. :t:

The Scottish highlands on last night did not talk about wildlife so much - just camera shots of the wildlife in theri natural environment...and Bear climbing big mountains

The clip about the history of the Caledonan forest was very informative, and it is good to know that there is something being done to rebuild the lost forestration.

Growing Pine Trees will take years as they are slow growers so it will be a test to see how reforestration progress over the years to come - 500 years or so!! LOL.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back