Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Trinovid bn 8x32, are they still worthy?

Old Saturday 7th December 2019, 19:05   #176
Yuk

I've had the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BNs for just over a year now, so I thought I'd give a quick update.

In short, I love them! My original assessments has proven to be completely correct. They are not optically perfect, but they are incredibly satisfying to use.

Last week I had the privilege of comparing my old design BNs to the new Leica Geovid 10 x 42 HD-B 3000 for three days. The Geovids were awesome, but I came away from the experience feeling even more in love with the BNs. Strikingly, I could never find a comfortable fit with the Geovids. When I'd get a good "picture", the oculars would pinch my nose and fatigue would set in quickly. I guess I have closely set eyes, something I've never been aware of before with any other bins. Optically the old Trinovids appear to be equal to the Geovids, except in regards to CAs and flair. Chromatic Aberrations are about 50% lower in the Geovids. When pointed towards the sun, the Trinovids lose more contrast, but flair is well controlled. The Geovids have more contrast with less "washing out" of the image, but the flair disks are more pronounced. One thing that really amazed me, is how equal the two were in terms of colour representation. Colour was absolutely identical between the two! In my mind, Leica really has no rival when it comes to how their products represent colour!

Cheers!

Last edited by Yuk : Saturday 7th December 2019 at 21:17.
Old Monday 9th December 2019, 00:18   #177
NDhunter

Yuk:

I agree, I have posted already on this thread. This Leica model has done everything very well.

Jerry
Old Monday 9th December 2019, 00:52   #178
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
When buying a BN today, should one worry about the longevity of silver mirror coatings? Although presumably those could be serviced if necessary.

(Arthur - I didn't know the red BNs were company loaners. I thought that was a special edition, like the hunter's green or mariner's blue. I'll bet collectors pay well for those. Would you really change it to black?)
Hello Tenex,

I have been informed that the silver mirrors are protected by some kind of coating. The silver interior and working layer is on the prism, which is then coated with something to prevent deterioration. As an OAP, I am not terribly concerned about longevity beyond two more decades.

It is hard to know what collectors would pay for the red BN. A few years back, someone put one for sale on that online auction site. If I recall, correctly, he had no buyers at US$1,600.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leica BN.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	712120  
Old Monday 9th December 2019, 19:42   #179
tenex

Hi again Arthur, that was a long time ago (Apr 2018)...

Since then I happened to see a red BN 8x32 for sale on some French store website for around $700-800. I'd expect dealer loaners to have some wear, but it looked good as new.
Old Tuesday 10th December 2019, 02:31   #180
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
Hi again Arthur, that was a long time ago (Apr 2018)...

Since then I happened to see a red BN 8x32 for sale on some French store website for around $700-800. I'd expect dealer loaners to have some wear, but it looked good as new.
Hello Tenex,

That would be more than I paid for mine, boxed with warranty.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur
Old Saturday 11th January 2020, 08:14   #181
b_reynolds_ak

Adding to the original question, I have been super happy with my 8x32 BN's over the last few years. They definitely out perform my partners Vortex Razor HD's. For a compact set of Alpha bins that are rock solid, they are definitely my favorite.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: