• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tenerife (1 Viewer)

kellyman

Saw a bird I did not recognise this morning in Tenerife. It was about the size of a Blackbird. Dark grey with a light grey breast and neck. It had a small reddish beak. Red legs and red spectacles round its eyes. Also small white spots on its upper wings. When it took off it moved like a wagtail. Does anyone know what it was.

Even the best observers make misjudgments of size when looking at unusual (to them) birds in unusual (to them) places. If you do not want to take my words for it, then read Ken Kaufman's introduction to his Advanced birding (1st edition) (I think this is a newer binding of the one I am referring to: http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Fiel...1840&sr=1-7&keywords=kaufman+advanced+birding).

For that reason, I did not let size limit the choice of bird I was thinking of.

Niels

Edit: though I just now notice that the place might not be unusual to the OP

Kellyman, Welcome to birdforum!

Chances are your bird was an escape of some type. Unfortunately, I have no other guess up my sleeve.

Niels

Nice image, Phil. Sadly the size is wrong, same with "the spectacles" which this species is missing. And I don´t remember that they are moving on the ground like wagtails.

This is a very though request, trying to ID the bird but with no result. First I thought Kelly is describing a bulbul species, but there´s no species which fits perfect. Same with thrushes, the best bet seems to be the Olive Thrush.: http://ibc.lynxeds.com/files/pictures/OliveThrush.jpg

Last edited:
Kellyman, Welcome to birdforum!

Chances are your bird was an escape of some type. Unfortunately, I have no other guess up my sleeve.

Niels

Thought that myself Niels. I have never seen anything like it around here in the six years I have lived here. Also it let me get quite close to it. Just sorry i didn´t have my camera with me but I was off shopping at the time.

what's the default thrush in Cuba??Have vague recollection of grey/black bird with red eyering/spectacles.

Found it....Red-legged thrush.Not sure if kept in captivity though!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back