• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My set-up and portable hide (1 Viewer)

paula

Several people asked me what my homemade, portable hide is like.
Have taken some pictures of the whole set-up and here they are:
the camouflage material on the hide flaps quite a lot in the breeze but the birds don't seem to mind. I even saw a moorhen climb all over it today.....looking for a way in!
The only trouble with the hide is that I am so well hidden inside that I have trouble seeing anything myself! I must find a better way of hanging the material so that there is a good slot for the lens and for me to see something!
The frame is very light and comes apart easily, the top is an yacht steering wheel, the comouflage material was bought at the Army and Navy Surplus stores.

Attachments

• camo frame.jpg
    camo frame.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 667
This is the top

The angle iron fits onto pegs on the wheel and the whole thing is very light.

Attachments

• closeup camo frame top.jpg
    closeup camo frame top.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 468
This is it in all its glory

This is the frame dressed up.
The angle iron legs are pushed into the ground so the thing does not blow over!

Attachments

• homemadehide.jpg
    homemadehide.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 506
And here the set-up for the birds

The set-up for the birds complete with twigs, logs! and various perches which they use before settling onto the various feeders.
The hide is about 4 meters from the feeders.

Attachments

• feeder setup.jpg
    feeder setup.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 509
On a cold and gloomy day.......

Close-up of the main giant sunflower feeder.
Bird activity goes on all day long, especially when it is cold and wet.

Attachments

• finchesonfeeder.jpg
    finchesonfeeder.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 457
If Kevin walked by in his camo gear you wouldn't be able to see him against the background of your hide!

Very good Paula; no wonder you get such good shots.

Ingenious Paula, well done.

Not sure what the neighbours would say about that on our open plan estate. Then again they think I'm mad anyway for feeding the birds so much !

Great blind Paula. Looks very effective.

I have my feeders located just off my DR window. Assorted perches aranged like yours help to make the shot less "planned".

Patience is the key word!

I'm sorry I didn't find this thread before I poped 70 bucks for a pop-up blind that I haven't been able to repack. Yours looks better than mine except I do have lots of peep holes.
Bradra

what a super blind Paula, looks like you have plenty of room to move about inside? like your feeder set up too. I use a portable blind that has really come in handy many times- the birds are so much more tolerant/less stressed and it's nice to be able to sit out during light rain showers and keep everything dry :)

Indeed, Peepholes, are important! Initially, I was so well camouflaged that I could not see anything myself!
Standing in hide for several hours is rather tiring and cramped though.
I could do with more room and am now considering putting up a simple permanent hide in such a place that one could have access to peepholes 380 degrees and so always have the light at the right angle.
Next chapter......and a more expensive one!

Great Hide & Camouflage :)

Hi Paula:
Congrats and enjoyed seeing your efforts paid off bigtime :)
I dont use a blind, my thinking is as follows.
IF I HAVE TO PUTUP WITH SEEING THE BIRDS AS IS, THEY HAVE TO DO THE SAME :)
I do most of my digiscoping at our lake cottage about 127 Km west of the city of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; where we reside.
We have various home build and commercial feeders to suit what ever flies about :) even the squirels..
I also go portable and use a golf cart to carry it all with me by folding it up in two and fits in the trunk (BOOT) of the Buick.
I will attach the setup in use and on the next writeup how it is carried about.
regards and enjoy
Walther
www.walther-loff.com

Attachments

• dscn2177-web.jpg
    dscn2177-web.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 353
Portable carry all for digiscoping

Hi Paula:
As promissed, here is the picture of how it all fit onto the 3 wheel golf cart (push or pull) complete with wheel brakes,
note how I utilize the handle bar of the cart to support to umbrella and a 10 X 10 inch plate with 3 inch long spikes welded downward to sit firmly in the dirt used as an anchor plate.
The umbrella shades the sun as well as the rain, but also serves as a overhead blind.
I have just completed this project and will need winter insulated coveralls that I use for outdoors snow mobiling and a camera warmer to use this in the winter here, where it at times it does drop to minus 40C Brrrrr. those crazy Canadians ha ha ha.
Cheers.
p.s. I am an imported Dutch lad, born and raised in the tropics of south america (dutch guiana) and question my sanity each september with the firtst snow fall..
Walther

Attachments

• dscn2173-web.jpg
    dscn2173-web.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Hi Paula.

Hope you don,t mind a daft question from a non camera owner, but you say your hide is about 4 meters from your feeders, as i sometimes visit feeding sites for birds i have been as close as this without the hide, just using the scope and a bit of patience.
So apart from the obvious (weather) what advantages are gained using a camo/hide, is 4 meters close enough for good close ups?.

Brian. :h?:

Last edited:
I've got to say paula, I laughed out loud when I got to the photo with the camo cover on.

I couldn't help thinking "Dr. Who"!!! 3:) 3:) 3:)

But seriously, it's good to see a home-made version - but please don't walk up my garden path wearing it... I'll think I'm under attack from the Zorlons or something.

I'll try and write something serious and genuinely complimentary another day - please forgive me for now... it's late!

Please let me add, that the humour I've got out of this is purely due to the "quality" of Dr. Who monsters, and is not intended as criticism of your hide!

I'd sort-of expect Arnie (or Sly Stallone) to leap out at any minute.
Of course he'd say to the greenfinches 'I'll be back!'

Walter, I like your setup a lot, you do look the part. Your picture showing us how you carry your stuff is terrific. Very good idea. (I am a Dutch lady...small world)
Lol, Birdman.......now you say it, it looks a bit like a tardus! (if only it was!)
In the meantime I have put up a small shed in the right place, as to the sunlight, to function as a permanent hide.....nice chair, bit more elbow room, all that is missing is the pot-bellied heater for the winter months.
Cuddy, yes 4 meters is nice and close for pictures of tiny birds. It all depends on the lens......with your scope you could be a lot further from your subject.
Thank you folks, for taking the trouble to write. Paula

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back