• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma macro lens (1 Viewer)

ody

Hi,all!
Do someone use this macro lens,AF 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM.
Any pics made with this lens?
Thank you in advance.

Plenty. Type 150mm into the gallery search engine and I'm sure you'll see lots of shots taken with this lens.

Another effective way to grab a deluge of images taken by a specific lens is going to the flickr home page, and typing the specific lens info into the search, such as : sigma 150mm 2.8 macro
Should give tons of images. I just did this and got over 4000 results.

I use both the 150mm and the 105mm - former preferred for the tripod collar and small extra reach, latter for weight and faster manual focus

Yep, I've got one - still very much on the learning curve with macro photography, but I think it's a great lens. The limitation is my skill, not the equipment! See the following links for my best efforts so far:

http://braddersbirding.blogspot.com/search/label/butterflies
http://braddersbirding.blogspot.com/search/label/dragonflies

Hi,David!
You shot very nice pics. That is what I am waiting from this lens.
Till now , I did macro photography with my Compact Sony H5 or with my DRLR and the 100-400 from Canon.
At the end of February I'll be able to post here some pics.

I've know doubt that this is an excellent lens. Were I thinking of splashing out - which I may do - the real question for me would be: how does it compare to the 180mm Sigma?

Far as I know the only difference is the focal length (and the changes that that brings to an image) as well as weight. Feature wise they are both the same (internal focusing, EX sigma finish, same lens coatings and teleconverter compatability) and I suspect the AF speed is also very similar for both.

Weight wise the 180mm is the heavier and a "general" difference is that the 180mm is the more prefered choice by those who shoot macro from a tripod whilst the 150mm is the prefered choice for those who do more work handheld over tripod mouting.

However either lens can of course be used either handheld or on a tripod and the difference above is a very generalist one - but its about the only one I have found. The only other thing I can say is that sometimes being further back from the subject when shooting handheld can amplify the shake that you get in shots - thus making focusing a little harder - but in all honesty is something that I notice between a 70mm and a 150mm but I don't know if I would notice it between a 150mm and a 180mm lens.

To see my Sigma 150mm images in my pbase link below, go to butterflies and insects etc super lens, also give some thought to the new Canon 100mm f2.8 IS USM L macro if you can stretch to it.

It is really something else the macro photography.
What had I to do to get a better image?
Photo taken today handheld.

Attachments

• Bee_on _flower.JPG
    Bee_on _flower.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 121
It is really something else the macro photography.
Photo taken today handheld.

Nice photo however 1/160 doesn't appear to be fast enough to freeze the movement and vibrations created by the insect. Increasing the iso to 400 and changing the aperture to F8 would have given a faster shutter speed. Don't be afraid of experimenting in the field.

QUOTE]

Quite obvious really-get him to look at you while you press the button:-O

Seriously though.....I couldn't open the EXIF but if what ikw101 said is correct I would agree that you would benefit from more speed. Colours are great and I like the photo. DOF & speed are always a trade off but I find 1/300th a good minimum speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back