• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 80-400 (1 Viewer)

Cardamom Pod

Very well, Dr. Humorous Droll
I was just wondering how this lens performs; I've looked in the gallery and the IQ seems similar to the Tamron 200-500 I was considering, but If the AF is faster, it might swing the balance. Right now I'm considering the Tamron 200-500, the Sigma 80-400, and the Canon 300mm f4 (non is). Any thoughts?

Having used none of those, I can only refer to numerous reviews to think that the Siggy might have a slight edge in IQ over the Tammy. Even better is the OS, which will give you an advantage in low light/handheld situations, and a feature void on the other two lenses. Of course the Canon is ridiculously sharp, and even with a 1.4x TC will probably out perform the Sigma with regards to sharpness. If you plan to shoot from a tripod most of the time, go for the 300 4 L. If you want handholdability (how's that for a word) the Sigma is a very good lens for the money.

Hmm...I am mainly interested in handholding the lens, although I would probably use it on a monopod also, as soon as I've bought the Manfrotto 393 head to go with my current monopod. I would like to get the canon, although it's likely to be more expensive than the others, especially if I want to add a 1.4x tc later. What I would really be worried about with the Tamron or Sigma is the autofocus speed, which I'm not concerned about for the Canon.
Edit: Also, how hand-holdable is the Sigma 50-500?

Last edited:
In the price you are looking, I assume you are talking about the older 50-500 EX, and not the new 50-500 OS. I hand hold my Sigma 150-500 OS all the time, but wouldn't like to do so without OS. I'm 34 years old and have 16" upper arms, and the weight of the 150-500 does get fatiguing after a short while of carrying. If you plan on carrying it with a neck strap and only bringing it up to eye level when you need it, then it's not too bad. I know that there are people shooting with the 50-500 EX hand held with good results, but don't know what techniques they use for extended field use. I imagine the majority use environmental support (trees, fences, car roofs, etc...) when they can. OS (IS) takes away the need for that support, at least in short spurts. But the Bigma is still a 4 lb lens. I bet you could get used to a monopod/393 for regular walk-around use without much effort. The 393 is an incredible piece of equipment, by the way.

AS far as AF speed, both the 80-400 and 200-500 are not fast, each using older versions of AF technology. Additionally, both lenses lack a focus limiter switch...an undeniably important factor for distant subjects. My 150-500 has the newer HSM AF motor, which is actually relatively comparable to Canon's USM. But even in this newer lens, lack of a focus limit switch really slows down the hunting time when you miss the AF lock in the first pass. The Canon 300 has a limiter.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back